Aldeer.com

How to keep deer out of sunflowers?

Posted By: jdfarm23

How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/21/19 03:59 AM

Any suggestions? I read some stuff online about using t posts and fishing line to fence the deer out. It was pretty cheap so I figured I’d give it a try. Put the fence up Sunday, and am already getting cell cam pictures sent to my phone of deer in the field. So they’ve either torn it down or figured out how to jump it. Does anybody here have any experience with this and what have you had success with?
Posted By: FourEyes45

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/21/19 11:49 AM

I have been using Messina Wildlife Repellent white Ribbon and spray for the last 3 years, works for me.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/21/19 12:17 PM

I’ve tried it all. No luck. I had to quit planting them. Millett only for me now
Posted By: BradB

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/21/19 12:27 PM

Electric fence in the Gallagher configuration.Works great.
Posted By: Mully

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/21/19 01:22 PM

Ours are in our Gallagher style fence. 1ac of sunflowers then 4ac of soybeans.The fence is worth the money. We bought all of our stuff from TSC and made our own fence based off the Gallagher principle.
Posted By: hallb

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/21/19 05:19 PM

So I planted sunflowers already this year. Our deer population is not too crazy. There has been deer in them as they are coming up, is this when they typically hammer them or is it more of a problem once they start to flower/seed out?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/22/19 12:20 AM

I Just started helping make deer repellent for a farmer buddy of mine. They boil 22 bars of Irish springs soap in 5 gallons of water then put that concentrated mix in their sprayer with water and spray their cotton fields. Has to be reapplied every time it rains though.

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/22/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
So I planted sunflowers already this year. Our deer population is not too crazy. There has been deer in them as they are coming up, is this when they typically hammer them or is it more of a problem once they start to flower/seed out?

They’ll stay eating them til e dry last one is gone no matter the size
Posted By: bward85

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/22/19 01:33 PM

Mine made it to about waist high then nearly overnight the deer ate all the leaves off. I now have a patch of waist high sticks.
Posted By: Out back

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 05/24/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
I’ve tried it all. No luck. I had to quit planting them. Millett only for me now

That was going to be my suggestion. Don't plant them.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 06/03/19 01:02 PM

Double electric perimeter fence. And kill more during season.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 06/05/19 02:02 AM

If your deer have a taste for green sunflower heads, you might as well quit planting them. Deer have no patience.

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 06/05/19 02:37 AM

Correct.
Posted By: North40R

Re: How to keep deer out of sunflowers? - 06/05/19 05:11 AM

3 strands of electric fence and daily repairs for about 3 weeks. Had a nice 3 acre field of sunflowers and buckwheat after that. Sunflowers started drying and I let my guard down. 3 nights later there was NOTHING left in the field but sunflower stems!

Millet and corn for me now.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM