Aldeer.com

ALDUCKS

Posted By: ozarktroutbum

ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 04:29 PM

I was a member on there long before I joined here. Every now and again ill check in just to see how the site is. Doesn't look too good today! I think the tomfoolery just became too much. Honestly, aldeer is a lot better in those regards. Seemed like nobody had been posting on there.

I know there are quite a few members on here that used to be on there as well.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 04:42 PM

I got on there for a brief time but it did seem to kinda peter out....

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 04:52 PM

I think I remember you being on there, Gomer
Posted By: Drake322

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 04:55 PM

Me. Got on there when it first started. Was real good at first, but there got to be too much "young" crowd influence, fussing, name calling and so on. I hate it for the guy that had it. There was a mass exodus of guys off there for a while.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 05:01 PM

I was on there about 5-6 years ago. Didn't post much but tried to read and learn as I was just starting to chase ducks. Haven't checked it out in a long time.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 05:16 PM

Yea I was on there a while. Sucks now and started sucking with the cussing, name calling and the I know more about everything than you do bull crap that sometimes plagues this place.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 05:43 PM

Used to frequent the dog forum. Hasn't been very active in a few years.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 05:55 PM

I try to look and get a WARNING that the web site has been reported as unsafe and DO NOT go there
Posted By: cartervj

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/14/18 06:12 PM

I was there for a bit, met some nice guys hunted with a few. Got my first Can cause of one them. It became too much drama, I think it started all in fun and jest and then careened out of control.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/15/18 01:17 PM

Sounds a lot like the reason I quit duck hunting public land about 5 years ago. The young 16 year old "Little Commanders" took it over and just ruined it to the point it wasn't much fun anymore.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 01:52 AM

I was on it for a long time and extremely active on it. Haven't checked in on it but a handful of times over the last few years. If I had to guess, It's probably just a bunch of Gobama posting back and forth to himself. laugh It got to where you couldn't post anything without it turning into a pissing match. It was fun while it lasted though, but I am glad that I found this place.
Posted By: inatree

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 02:17 AM

I was on it all the time when I duck hunted. When I lost my lab I got out of it totally. Made some great friends on there.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum

Yep.....several years ago I got bit BAD by the wanting-to-duck-hunt-bug. Didn't know a single person that duckhunted, so tried to learn as much as I could online to try to give it a go solo. However, it became apparent relatively quickly that:

A) other than shooting a couple of wood ducks once in a while, the only way to kill birds was to travel at least a couple of hours Northeast, or about 5 hours west/Northwest. Also, the 1 or 2 places within a reasonable distance to even kill that couple of wood ducks would mostly require me to have a boat

B) I was going to have to fight for those 1 or 2 wood ducks against every Duck Dynasty-watching goober in the state, on public land, and

C) I was going to spend a small fortune to do it.

Long story short, I had neither the time, nor the resources to figure it out on my own, so I abandoned it without ever firing a single shot at a bird.

then the turkey bug bit......and that one stuck.

I'd still like to try duck hunting one day, especially if CWD turns all our deer into zombies. I really think I'd like duck hunting a lot more than deer hunting....but that's gonna require me to get to be friends with someone that's got a boat and the 411 on some decent spots.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 07:47 PM

i used to be on there but id guess it was 10-15 years ago. i wondered whatever happened to gobama
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 08:45 PM

I used to post on there quite a bit. Hell, I even met up with Gobama and went hunting out of kayaks with him one time. Peculiar doesn't even began to describe that gentleman.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 09:25 PM

I was on there a good bit too back 10 or 15 years ago probably. It seemed to kind of just go to nothing and not much posting. I couldn't tell you the last time I logged in and looked over there.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 11:15 PM

I was on there pretty much daily for a while about 10 years ago and it was pretty good for a Bama duck hunting site. Then a bunch of public land, wood duck killing asshats and world champion squealers got to posting on there and I quickly decided I was too old to waste time with that mess. In fact, I actually forgot about that site. I imagine it hasn't improved much since then.

Dr. B
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 11:28 PM

Like a lot of y’all I was there too. I got there towards the end of its hay day, but lurked a little while it was good. I stopped visiting because of so little traffic.
Posted By: TravisBatey

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bobwallace
I used to post on there quite a bit. Hell, I even met up with Gobama and went hunting out of kayaks with him one time. Peculiar doesn't even began to describe that gentleman.

He didn’t take you for a ride in his mini van did he?

I’d bet y’all put out at the fackler bridge, I use to always see him right there when I’d pass by or hunt in that area.

It was a fun site for a while but then it turned into a bunch of pissing matches and people getting pissed if you posted a kill picture... because then 100,000 ppl would flock from Georgia and ruin the area hunting. rolleyes

And god forbid you do actually post a picture of ducks... you’d be accused of every illegal act under the sun, we posted a picture of some mallard, blacks and woodies from a public timber hole and I got5-10PMs acusing us of trespassing or baiting because apparently you can’t kill blacks any other way and all of them assumed every single black duck only lives in one spot of the county.

My last few hrs there I spent in the dog forum.
Posted By: sw1002

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by TravisBatey

I’d bet y’all put out at the fackler bridge, I use to always see him right there when I’d pass by or hunt in that area.

I was active on there for years. Gobama was a very strange cat but killed a lot of birds from what I could tell.
Posted By: TravisBatey

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/17/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by sw1002

I was active on there for years. Gobama was a very strange cat but killed a lot of birds from what I could tell.

He would scrap out some limits.. a lot of them was from paddling around and finishing off wounded ducks that has strayed away from other hunters. Joker loved killing and eating coots, too.
Posted By: sw1002

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 12:04 AM

I’ve eaten them in gumbo several times. They’re not bad if all the fat has been removed.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 03:50 AM

I met several people on there who are still some of my very best friends. My handle was jaker on there. Gave up duck hunting several years ago, but had stopped visiting it before that.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 04:46 AM

I got banned from that site within 12 hrs of joining.

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Over achiever!
Posted By: Driveby

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 12:03 PM

I was very active on there as well. I went to a couple events and cookouts, hunted with some of the guys, and made some very good friends.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

A) other than shooting a couple of wood ducks once in a while, the only way to kill birds was to travel at least a couple of hours Northeast, or about 5 hours west/Northwest. Also, the 1 or 2 places within a reasonable distance to even kill that couple of wood ducks would mostly require me to have a boat

B) I was going to have to fight for those 1 or 2 wood ducks against every Duck Dynasty-watching goober in the state, on public land, and

C) I was going to spend a small fortune to do it.

Truer words, have never been spoken
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/18/18 03:18 PM

Ha. Put in at Mud Creek launch beside the BBQ joint. And hell no I didn't get in that van. When I met him at the gas station, he was asleep in the van with the nose of the kayak on his dashboard and the tail end hanging out the open back hatch of the van.

And yeah, he was a coot eating fool.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/19/18 05:34 AM

My brother and I own it. We both now have very demanding jobs and kids to take care of, so time is very limited. It did get popular with the duck dynasty wanbees, people got ill because or the classified ad policy and we just got kinda let it simmer. Prior to that, we had a great group of members and I've kept in touch with many of them through the years. My favorite thing is the year we had the first cookout and gave away a lot of door prizes and raffle items. That year we were able to distribute 100% of the monies collected to buy Christmas for around two dozen angel tree kids l across Alabama. So, in my opinion, the site did what it was intended to do early on. Maybe one day, we'll find time to resurrect it and be able to do more through the site for the community's arroyo Alabama. We also started the very first lake clean up on Guntersville. Just duck hunters in duck boats picking up trash on the lake shore. We filled 6-8 dumpsters. The next year, the PALS group wanted to join in, took it over and offered us ZERO credit and used the prior clean up to go around getting donations for their Organization. Left a really bad taste in our mouths, we weren't wanting anything at all when we started it, other than getting a bunch of duck hunters together to clean up all of the trash we saw every time we went hunting. And in the end, others saw fit to use our idea as a money making idea.

A couple more tidbits: I met Phil Robertson and his son Alan a few years ago and they said they were both familiar with the site and even mentioned a couple of the funnier posts. The other tidbit, Duck Commander was the only company that we approached the year we had the first cookout that offered zero donations to us for our fundraiser door prizes. The most generous, a guy from Sand Mtn made a custom smoker that was unbelievably fantastic and Netbait gave over 100 packs of their baits for us to give away.
Posted By: MallardMan84

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/19/18 05:46 PM

I stayed on there when it was hoppn'. But hell, anytime I posted a pic of more than a limit the calling out began. After the second call from the GW asking questions, I gave it up. Had to give names, address, phone number, stool sample, etc. of everyone who was there. Then GW had to call them and verify they were they and all that boondoggle.
Posted By: Stob

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/19/18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

They wouldn't even let me join.
Posted By: North40R

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/20/18 02:14 AM

Antlerhunter it's a shame that a few ruined what was a good thing for many.

Seems like the last 2 seasons the crowds are starting to slow down around here. Unfortunately we aren't seeing the ducks that are normally here either.

I've got 2 roost ponds on my property and normally there are several hundred wood ducks here. One of the ponds is basically dry except the run of the creek and the other pond that I planted an acre of rice in this summer when it dried up has zero ducks!

Last year we could watch 50 to 100 wood ducks fly over my fields every afternoon going to the pond basically in my backyard. This year I haven't seen over a dozen and they were headed elsewhere.
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/20/18 05:49 AM

I got on there when I first started duck hunting. I had zero friends that duck hunted back then. Luckily through that site and friends of friends I got to meet some awesome people that helped me learn the right way to do it. Made some lifelong friends because of it. I hadn't logged on in a while til a month or so ago and saw that it was pretty quiet. I haven't even picked up a shotgun this season so far other than dove hunting. Got tired of every time we went somewhere it always seemed to end up with someone trying to set up to close or generally showing a lack of respect for other hunters. Now I either go to Ark or will go around here whenever a buddy invites me and my daughter. Its a shame too because I still love to do it as much as I ever did. But my oldest daughter loves as it just as much as I do and I'm not just going to put her in the situations that we had to deal with a lot of times on public land

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 01:36 AM

I really hate it for the site. It was a great place for a long time. I was on there a lot. Attitudes, egos, and pissing contests drove a lot of people off. The damn Guntersville city limit debacle over hunting did not help things.

I believe it could be resurrected again, but do not know if it would have the following it once did.

Good luck if you do start it again. Let me know, I will put the word out. We need all the support we can get to promote hunting, of any kind.
Posted By: AC870

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 06:03 AM

I was a duck hunter in a former life.....
Posted By: icducks

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 01:37 PM

I meet at lot of awesome people and hunted with many of the members. Always had a good time at the cook offs and the lake cleanup. Antlerhunter and his brother are good people too. Hate to see it go down hill. Still stay In touch and hunt with many of the people from the sight.

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 04:01 PM

It was also a good site for me when I first started around 2010. I also had nearly zero friends that duck hunted. If it weren't for alducks I would never had known to call academy sports in auburn for my reverse migration duck stamp slap. True story...oh well lol

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 04:35 PM

It was also a good site for me when I first started around 2010. I also had nearly zero friends that duck hunted. If it weren't for alducks I would never had known to call academy sports in auburn for my reverse migration duck stamp slap. True story...oh well lol

lol lol
Posted By: bward85

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 04:47 PM

I think you can still buy your Teal tags there. laugh

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/21/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by bward85
I think you can still buy your Teal tags there. laugh
You an get them there, but they're just on an indefinite backorder

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/23/18 02:44 PM

Topwater is a word I think was created by some of those guys.

Re: ALDUCKS - 12/23/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by cartervj
Topwater is a word I think was created by some of those guys.

LMAO, I forgot about that term.
Posted By: donia

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/09/19 02:26 PM

Topwater is a word I think was created about some of those guys.

fixed it for you....there were some t-totaler topwaters spouting off during the hay day of the "look-at-me-i'm'a-duck-commander" days.

*eta: topwater wasn't penned on alducks*

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/09/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by donia

fixed it for you....there were some t-totaler topwaters spouting off during the hay day of the "look-at-me-i'm'a-duck-commander" days.

LOL. They still out there.................................

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/09/19 10:40 PM

There's quite a few down here in Baldwin Co.. hanging their daily kill
on their mud motor boat leaning post as they drive home for all to see.
Jacked up trucks with homey rims and a Drake duck head sticker on
the back window.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/09/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
There's quite a few down here in Baldwin Co.. hanging their daily kill
on their mud motor boat leaning post as they drive home for all to see.
Jacked up trucks with homey rims and a Drake duck head sticker on
the back window.

Think I saw the guy you talking about in the rouses parking lot this morning.

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/09/19 10:54 PM

Prolly did.

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/10/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Drake322

While in Arky a few weeks ago I heard of a new duck club named Topwater Duck Club I think was. I was told the guy that formed it supposedly was brand new and green as a goose, yet grandaddy owned some serious ground. Supposedly a dang good club but hard to get in now. The again it could be an Urban Legend.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/11/19 01:57 PM

Haha. Looks like quite a few of us had a run-in with Gobama. Dude was certainly peculiar, but I'll say this, he was the ONLY one that offered to take me duck hunting. I went twice with him and killed almost a limit every time. Dude knows how to kill ducks.

The not fun part was launching a motor-less john boat and a kayak on a frozen mudcreek and getting laughed at by all the topwater rigs. Regardless, we killed ducks.

He called me up randomly after a year or so and met me to give me a dozen or so decent mallard decoys. He's a little different, but I don't have a bad thing to say about the guy.
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/11/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Drake322

While in Arky a few weeks ago I heard of a new duck club named Topwater Duck Club I think was. I was told the guy that formed it supposedly was brand new and green as a goose, yet grandaddy owned some serious ground. Supposedly a dang good club but hard to get in now. The again it could be an Urban Legend.

The term topwater originated in Arkansas. It describes the minnows in the ditch that don't ever know which way they are going. Then the ditch dries up and.....time for a new crop of topwaters!
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: ALDUCKS - 01/11/19 10:08 PM

Topwater = looks like a duck hunter on the surface. Not sure of origin but I first saw the term on Ducksouth. Painting your face and eating breakfast in a public restaurant is the ultimate example.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM