Posted By: Ben2

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 12:44 AM

Well crap

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 12:46 AM

Who does a good job mounting them?
Posted By: Abbhudson

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 12:55 AM

I know some boys that claim they eat them, they also claim to eat coots so their honesty/sanity might be questionable
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2

There's another thread going on for the same thing.
Posted By: bward85

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 01:16 AM

No.....there is nothing you can do to make them taste good...I have tried everything. sick

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Abbhudson
I know some boys that claim they eat them, they also claim to eat coots so their honesty/sanity might be questionable

Coots are good to eat....but not a Merganser!

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler

There's another thread going on for the same thing.

Got it thanks
Posted By: top cat

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
nope. Male makes a good looking mount.

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by top cat
Originally Posted by BhamFred
nope. Male makes a good looking mount.

Gonna take yalls advice and just mount him. Was hoping it would be like a wood duck but oh well will know not to shoot another one.
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 03:47 AM

What Fred said
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Abbhudson

I've eaten coots. You can make anything edible with enough Italian dressing and bacon.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 02:50 PM

Hood rats ain’t good for much of anything unless you’re having a slow day in the timber. I quit shooting them until my buddy killed one that I wouldn’t shoot. It was banded. slap
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 03:19 PM

They are NOT tasty!!!! Back in the day, I would shoot them for the dog on slow days. How I got my moniker. A fish duck isn't really good for anything but training dogs.

When I lived in South Bama, we always managed to give them away. The trick was to never give the same person ducks and occasionally throw better ducks into the mix. Once gave some to a group of river rats living on a small houseboat traveling from somewhere up north to Mobile bay. Gave them the mergansers in Gainesville before Thanksgiving. Saw them again in Demopolis and took pity on them by giving them part of a deer. They were still raving about the Thanksgiving mergansers. Took all the romance out of living in a boat Huck Finn style. They were 2 months into the trip and broke and hungry.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 03:21 PM

Has anyone eaten a coot? They have to taste better than a merg. They only eat plants.
Posted By: BC

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 03:26 PM

Blake Wilson

http://www.trophybirds.com/

He's a member here.
Posted By: Abbhudson

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
Has anyone eaten a coot? They have to taste better than a merg. They only eat plants.

I never have, just assumed they wouldn't be good cause they look funny. Maybe I'll try them some day. I'll never eat a hood again though.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 04:36 PM

Coot isn’t bad, just make sure and get all the fat off of them.

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 05:22 PM

Coots are good...just make sure and get ALL of the fat and skin off of the breast. I soak the breast fillets in buttermilk for 24 hours...wrap em in bacon and season with Montreal Steak seasoning...then grill em till the bacon is done. Pretty dang tasty!
Posted By: Spec

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 10:28 PM

Several time. They have big gizzard which is tasty. They also make a good gumbo.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 11:02 PM

I have heard of cajuns making pouldeau gumbo which is Coot meat. I didn't seriously think they'd be good to eat. Wish I had known. I probably killed about 20 last night. Sounded like hail hitting the bottom of my boat.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/04/18 11:56 PM

Hell ya we eat coots. Cut the breasts out and clean that big ole gizzard. Cooked down in a black iron pot or a gumbo. Make a puppy pull a freight train. Them mergansers taste way to much like pelican for me. Don't like it.

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/05/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by BC

Blake Wilson

He's a member here.

I got in touch with him. Gonna send him a wood duck or two and the rotten fish duck
Posted By: icducks

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/05/18 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by BC

Blake Wilson

He's a member here.

I got in touch with him. Gonna send him a wood duck or two and the rotten fish duck

You won’t be disappointed. He does jam up work.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/05/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BC

Blake Wilson

He's a member here.

You will be pleased, he's done several for me.

Upper Midwest, they make jerky out of the mergansers, it's probably the only way I would eat it. When it comes to Coot, I can't get past their smell.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/05/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I have heard of cajuns making pouldeau gumbo which is Coot meat. I didn't seriously think they'd be good to eat. Wish I had known. I probably killed about 20 last night. Sounded like hail hitting the bottom of my boat.

rofl
Posted By: AC870

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/08/18 05:11 AM

Years ago when I still duck hunted, we killed 2 hen mergansers and that was all we shot that morning. We were just kids really. Maybe early 20s.
There was an old man at the boat ramp when we got back. He was eyeballing those mergansers hard.
“Is that what they call a wood duck?” he asked.
“I reckon it is,” I said.
It was like Christmas Eve or the day before.
The old man wanted the birds and we let him have them.
“I’m going to have my wife make dressing out of them,” he said. Thanks
Now she may have been a spectacular cook and it might have turned out beautifully. But I’ve always envisioned a horrorible stench coming off that merganser dressing on Christmas morning.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/08/18 05:36 AM

lol
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/08/18 06:24 AM

Well that just seems a little lousy to me
Posted By: TravisBatey

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/12/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin

Was hunting with a guide in Arkansas years back and we had some coots swimming out around the decoys and jokingly he asked if we wanted a limit of those as well. We laughed it off and he told us he has a group of Cajuns a few days prior that was passing on mallards to shoot the coots that would swim in. He said they was tickeled to death with their limits of coots. It was a fairly expensive guide too. I told him if he ran across anyone else wanting a guided colt hunt to send them to the big G and I’d hook the up for a few $$$.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/12/18 08:09 PM

Don’t knock em till you try them. Did a blind taste test of coot to wood duck and my wife picked the coot. Ugly goofy looking bird but they do eat good. Give em a try, you will be surprised

Mergansers on the other hand.......no bueno
Posted By: deadeyesdad

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/12/18 09:00 PM

Best thing to do with a hoodie is breast it out and use it for catfish bait. Then eat the catfish.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Hooded Merganser? - 12/14/18 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by deadeyesdad
Best thing to do with a hoodie is breast it out and use it for catfish bait. Then eat the catfish.
rofl
© 2024 ALDEER.COM