Aldeer.com

What time of year do you plant?

Posted By: 40Bucks

What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 12:51 PM

If you're planting a dove field, what time of year do you plant corn or sunflowers?
Posted By: TwentySeven

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 02:45 PM

I just planted mine last week, I hope all the seed comes up. I may have to re-seed next week.
Posted By: North40R

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 40Bucks
If you're planting a dove field, what time of year do you plant corn or sunflowers?

I plant mine in May.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 04:28 PM

May.

But we haven’t had as much luck with corn for doves. Kernels are too big. Milo, browntop and proso millet work the best for us.

If you can grow cracked corn now that would be the ticket.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 05:02 PM

May is best for corn. I'd hold off till early June for sunflowers, but I can't get any to grow anymore because the deer get em.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 06:56 PM

For sunflowers count back 90 days from when you want to shoot. Brown top is only 60 days. Just look up days till maturity for whatever you’re planting and count back for planting date
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/27/18 07:52 PM

What he said. Most millets can be mature in 45 days. Also consider buckwheat. Next year I'll have proso millet again with white sorghum and buckwheat. Will plant starting late may on sorghum. Millet late June. Buckwheat in July. Hedge against dry spells
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: What time of year do you plant? - 09/28/18 04:40 PM

My problem is that cattle have run of the entire area where we can plant. The guy leasing the land keeps them out of the green fields by closing off the pasture from Sept thru Jan but the rest of the year they run free across the property. Sounds like we need to fence off a spot for the summer, too. Dang cows!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM