Aldeer.com

Quail

Posted By: top cat

Quail - 08/04/18 08:35 PM

Was out working in the shop today. Kinda had my mind elsewhere. All of a suden it dawned on me. There were a couple quail calling. One behind the barn and one in the edge of a cotton field. Been so long since I've heard one it wasn't registering in my thick head. Been hearing them for a couple hours. Very nice, I miss hunting wild quail. Hope it's a good sign but kinda doubt it. Sad to say.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Quail - 08/04/18 09:04 PM

I miss them too.Those artificial ground runners just ain't the same...
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Quail - 08/05/18 01:32 AM

I have seen more wild quail this year than I have in a long time.

Re: Quail - 08/05/18 02:01 AM

That's good to hear...
Posted By: blade

Re: Quail - 08/05/18 02:29 AM

Funny y’all are mentioning quail. Saw two coveys this morning spraying food plots. Can’t remember the last time I saw to coveys in a day.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Quail - 08/05/18 03:24 AM

Heard one the other day, first time in years. Maybe all the coon trappings is having some effect.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Quail - 08/06/18 05:23 PM

We have a few covy on our property..
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Quail - 08/08/18 02:23 PM

I saw the first covey while spraying couple weeks back, 3 birds, since I bought the place. Wouldn’t dream of shooting them. It was nice to see them. Reminded me of the land I grew up on. We had enough to hunt back then.

Re: Quail - 08/10/18 01:54 PM

Well, well. Got to see a covy early yesterday. It was a great site.

Re: Quail - 08/10/18 02:47 PM

My dad raised me up in the '60s and early 70's chasing bobwhites.We hunted family land in south Alabama,west Tennessee,and the foothills of the Blue Ridge and Tidewater areas of Virginia.Great memories of GSP and Brittany Spaniels,double-barrel shotguns,lots of walking,and friends and family.Memories of better days, and times gone bye.Time brings changes,and everything is different now.My father has passed,those dogs are gone,much of the land is now pine trees or concrete,and the quail have all but disappeared.It's good to hear y'all are seeing some...

Re: Quail - 08/10/18 06:12 PM

My dag raised and trained bird dogs when I was a kid. Folks from all around would bring him dogs to train. I'll never forget those days. I still have his Fox side by side 20 guage he loved to use. Makes me think I need to dig it out of the safe for a bit. Haven't even held it in years.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Quail - 08/10/18 06:15 PM

Saw a covey last weekend between Rockford and lake Mitchell dam on 22 last weekend with 8-10 juvenile birds.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Quail - 08/11/18 01:24 PM

I've seen and heard more this summer than I have in many years. I doubt there will be enough to hunt, but it's good to just have a few around.
Posted By: canvasback

Re: Quail - 08/12/18 01:44 AM

Called one up into the tree line behind our house that was calling...I love to hear them...
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Quail - 08/15/18 06:05 PM

Wouldn’t say I hear or see a ton but I do come across them some. Hear them at my house quite a bit. About to release 30 I raised. I know one place that for sure has a huntable population. But no one can hunt it.

Re: Quail - 08/15/18 07:56 PM

Quit a few years ago, I was outside feeding the dogs. There houses and food pans are under a big cedar tree. I heard the sound of wings and all of a sudden, a covey of 20+ flew past my head. Everyone of them lit on the lower branches of the cedar. For several minutes I stood motionless and watched them. They were only 3 or so feet away. Then, as fast as the flew in, they flew back to the back of my yard and quickly made their was into the field. Amazing.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Quail - 08/15/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Quit a few years ago, I was outside feeding the dogs. There houses and food pans are under a big cedar tree. I heard the sound of wings and all of a sudden, a covey of 20+ flew past my head. Everyone of them lit on the lower branches of the cedar. For several minutes I stood motionless and watched them. They were only 3 or so feet away. Then, as fast as the flew in, they flew back to the back of my yard and quickly made their was into the field. Amazing.

That is amazing, they are beautiful birds for sure. I think I might try and let some pheasant go too.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM