Aldeer.com

Gun advice

Posted By: Bushmaster78

Gun advice - 06/17/18 11:14 PM

Will be shopping for a all around shot gun soon . I would like one that will do anything I need it to , dove , ducks , geese and turkey. What gun do you guys prefer?
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Gun advice - 06/17/18 11:45 PM

I vote for a beretta outlander.
Posted By: JA

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 01:20 AM

Depends your budget. Auto loader or pump?
Posted By: Bushmaster78

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 01:37 AM

Auto loader . Not looking to spend over 2k
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bushmaster78

Easy then, super black eagle 2

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 03:17 PM

Super Black Eagle 3. The one in Bottomland camo is sweet!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hevishot13

I will say it is the sweetest shooting autoloader I've ever owned but it likes high brass shells. The federal low brass #8's on a dove shoot can turn it into a single shot.

Dr. B
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 04:46 PM

Benelli; of choice
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Gun advice - 06/18/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc

I will say it is the sweetest shooting autoloader I've ever owned but it likes high brass shells. The federal low brass #8's on a dove shoot can turn it into a single shot.

Dr. B

Really doc? My lefty sbe2 has never once had a failure of any sort. I’ve shot a pile of clays with that gun, duck hunted all season with it, took it to Texas and hunted in the mud of Bayside and copano bay and it never gave a problem. I shoot better with that gun that I have ever shot with anything else.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Gun advice - 06/19/18 12:06 AM

Just get you a new recoil spring Doc. Casey told me about those and they work. It's a simple fix you can do.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Gun advice - 06/19/18 04:26 AM

Doesn’t matter what gun you buy, if you can’t shoot it.
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Gun advice - 06/19/18 05:33 PM

benelli vinci
Posted By: Stob

Re: Gun advice - 06/19/18 07:06 PM

What about a new Browning A5?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Gun advice - 06/19/18 10:34 PM

My vote is for a SBE2. I picked up mine HEAVILY used (snow goose conservation gun for sure - extended mags, plastic welded to the chokes, etc), replaced a recoil spring, and it's never missed a beat.

My only gripe with Benellis is if you're trying to ride the bolt home to keep from making noise and don't let the bolt go into battery, you'll get the dreaded "benelli click"

other duck gun is a 1989 Browning A-5 Mag 12 stalker...her name is Dolores, she's my trailer park wife...you beat on her, but she just keeps coming back.

Re: Gun advice - 06/20/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser

My vote is for a SBE2. I picked up mine HEAVILY used (snow goose conservation gun for sure - extended mags, plastic welded to the chokes, etc), replaced a recoil spring, and it's never missed a beat.

My only gripe with Benellis is if you're trying to ride the bolt home to keep from making noise and don't let the bolt go into battery, you'll get the dreaded "benelli click"

other duck gun is a 1989 Browning A-5 Mag 12 stalker...her name is Dolores, she's my trailer park wife...you beat on her, but she just keeps coming back.

I think the SBE-3 is supposed to fix that.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Gun advice - 06/20/18 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stob
What about a new Browning A5?

That's what I went with. I'm waiting on my Bottomland Wicked Wings to show up.

It's actually a brownelli.

To me shoulders better than any of my past SBEs or SBEIIs. I still have my H&K SBE I bought in 93, she still shoots everything she is fed.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Gun advice - 06/20/18 02:40 AM

After owning about 10 different Benellis I decided I couldn’t get over the jamming and one shots. You can keep it and spend a few hundred dollars on a sure cycle parts and make it a jam up gun. I have sense turned over to a beretta and about to order a new one. To me this is one of the better autoloading shotguns on the market. Plus it kicks about as 1/3 as hard as a benelli.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Gun advice - 06/20/18 11:54 AM

If your benelli isn’t cycling you need to oil it.......they don’t run dry very well. I’ve shot them for a long time and they will cycle anything with factory springs

Re: Gun advice - 06/20/18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Just get you a new recoil spring Doc. Casey told me about those and they work. It's a simple fix you can do.

Might have to do that. This gun is a work horse. Can paddle a boat with it, pull up and shoot all day in the boat or the blind. I've had the "Benelli Click" on occasion but that was when I first got it years ago and never had a problem since. I've got an SBE and SBE2 and love them. I actually passed down the SBE to my son for his 18th birthday.

Dr. B
Posted By: Moose24

Re: Gun advice - 06/21/18 05:50 PM

Just curious why the SBE gets so much love over the M2? I chose an M2 over the SBE because I have no desire to 3.5" shells. Does the SBE have some other advantage over the M2?

Re: Gun advice - 06/21/18 06:32 PM

I've used 3.5 BB shells in my SBE's when duck hunting for the occasional high flying goose that may come over the blind. I've dropped quite a few snows and blues that came a little low over us. Other than that, never used 'em.

Dr. B
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Gun advice - 06/21/18 07:16 PM

Beretta a400 xtreme. Great for duck and with a sumtoy choke will throw some sick patterns for turkey.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Gun advice - 06/26/18 05:52 PM

Also strongly consider a Winchester SX3 (or the new SX4).

Shoulder them all and see which fits best. If it doesn't swing or sight-line correctly for you, it doesn't how much you've paid for it, you won't be happy.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Gun advice - 06/26/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Originally Posted by 257wbymag

Might have to do that. This gun is a work horse. Can paddle a boat with it, pull up and shoot all day in the boat or the blind. I've had the "Benelli Click" on occasion but that was when I first got it years ago and never had a problem since. I've got an SBE and SBE2 and love them. I actually passed down the SBE to my son for his 18th birthday.

Dr. B

I replaced all my SBE II springs with heavy Wolff springs last summer. This was after at least 5K heavy rounds down that tube and a bunch of light loads. I didn't realize how sluggish that old boy had gotten. Would still sling shells but those new springs made it hop!

My choice to go with the heavy springs is cause that SBE II never goes to the clays course any more.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Gun advice - 06/26/18 08:45 PM

I have a used Mossberg 935. Shoots 3-3.5 Everytime I pull the trigger. And since it was only 350. I don't feel bad using it to knock down brush.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Gun advice - 06/29/18 07:04 PM

I can tell by the Benelli supporters on here that I am definitely the minority. But I would NOT choose a Benelli over a Beretta or Browning. I had a SBE I and it shot every time I pulled the trigger, but kicked pretty bad the POI was off bad, like nearly 18" at 40 yards. I tried patterning it with several different turkey loads and every one was low and right. I ended up getting rid of it.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Gun advice - 06/29/18 07:09 PM

I can tell by the Benelli supporters on here that I am definitely the minority. But I would NOT choose a Benelli over a Beretta or Browning. I had a SBE I and it shot every time I pulled the trigger, but kicked pretty bad the POI was off bad, like nearly 18" at 40 yards. I tried patterning it with several different turkey loads and every one was low and right. I ended up getting rid of it.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Gun advice - 06/30/18 03:04 PM

You coulda put a red dot on it.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Gun advice - 07/04/18 02:14 AM

Browning Maxus. Best handling, lightest recoil, shoot anything you shove down the pipe autoloader on the market.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Gun advice - 07/06/18 04:40 AM

Anything as long as it says Browning for me
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Gun advice - 07/07/18 02:38 AM

Can’t believe I’m the only one to say this but get an 870
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Gun advice - 07/07/18 01:27 PM

I'll go ahead and be "that guy"......instead of dropping $1500 on a "B-gun", I'd buy a Stoeger 3000 or 3500 (depending on if you want a 3" or 3.5" chamber) and spend the money you saved on ammo and other gear. A 26" barrel is a good compromise between a longer barrel for wingshooting and a shorter one for turkeys.

And don't let anyone tell you they won't cycle light dove loads.....when you get it, clean it thoroughly before you shoot it, then shoot a couple of boxes of the heaviest, hardest-hitting shells you can buy, to soften up the recoil spring a bit. Also, do NOT use the recoil reducer, mine cycles light shells flawlessly as long as I leave the recoil reducer out of it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: basspro527

Re: Gun advice - 07/12/18 06:13 PM

I sold a stoeger m 3000 to someone on aldeer was it you Gomer?
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Gun advice - 07/12/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by basspro527
I sold a stoeger m 3000 to someone on aldeer was it you Gomer?

Nope, mines a 3500 that I bought new from Simmons about 5 yrs ago
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Gun advice - 07/13/18 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
I have a used Mossberg 935. Shoots 3-3.5 Everytime I pull the trigger. And since it was only 350. I don't feel bad using it to knock down brush.

I was wondering if someone was going to bring up the 935. I think it's a fine gun. I've owned all the B guns and the Mossberg 935 I take in the pit blind with me now does just as good.
Posted By: basspro527

Re: Gun advice - 07/13/18 02:38 PM

I have a 935 and I have never had a issue with it and it patterns amazing, I shoot dove loads with it all the time and it cycles fine. My only complaint is the weight but it truly made me quit looking for other turkey/duck guns I think i will shoot it for years to come.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Gun advice - 07/15/18 03:43 AM

© 2024 ALDEER.COM