Aldeer.com

Alright you duck hunters

Posted By: tbest3

Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 01:20 AM

If you were buying a new duck rig what would you be looking at? I’ve got a couple in mind but wanting to hear other suggestions. Want a 15 footer with a 25 horse outboard. Will be ran mostly in rivers/sloughs/backwater/timber.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 02:33 AM

You're kidding right? War Eagle!
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 03:11 PM

Timber Creek or Prodigy.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 03:26 PM

Maybe try for a .100 gauge hull if you're liable to be around stumps and logs. Xpress has some fine boats. You're probably looking around $10,000 more or less depending on the features you want. Also backwoods landing has nice weldbilts with tohatsu's that won't cost you too much of an arm and leg.

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 03:30 PM

.100 ga Hull is a must. Looking to keep it around 11k. I looked up timber creek, they put together some nice rigs.
Posted By: Thelonegoose

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ozarktroutbum
Maybe try for a .100 gauge hull if you're liable to be around stumps and logs. Xpress has some fine boats. You're probably looking around $10,000 more or less depending on the features you want. Also backwoods landing has nice weldbilts with tohatsu's that won't cost you too much of an arm and leg.

Backwoods landing has some options and pretty good folks too. I've had good experience with the tohatsu outboards. 5 year warranty with them as well.

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/08/18 09:17 PM

I’ll give them a holler.

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/09/18 03:39 PM

Been looking hard at the G3 1548 DK. Anybody ever had any experience with one?
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/09/18 10:09 PM

Nah, but that should be a great boat
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/10/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by tbest3
Been looking hard at the G3 1548 DK. Anybody ever had any experience with one?

I’m rebuilding a 185 if that counts grin
Posted By: icducks

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/11/18 02:05 AM

If I were gonna be hunting big water no way I would buy a 15 foot boat. I would look at least a 17 footer. My first choice would be a war eagle. Owned three of them and by far the best aluminum boat I have owned.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/11/18 11:53 AM

Bought a crest liner retriever Jon deluxe 1756 last year. Has a 50 mercury tiller handle. I have been well pleased.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Alright you duck hunters - 06/14/18 04:26 PM

Just based on what you can get around here that is cost effective... I would call Backwoods Landing and talk about a price on a Weldbilt looking at an 18x48 and run a tiller 40hp Tohatsu on it with a setback Jack Plate w/ breakaway. No tunnel. I would get the rear bench, and a low casting deck up front. That way you have extra space to stack decoys on the bow. I would get the side panels to cover the ribs and seal up the floor. That's to keep dog food and other trash from going down the gap. Rear pod seats with the gap up the middle are nice for rear seats but I always feel like I'm reaching too far for a tiller handle if I'm running timber and having to make evasive maneuvers. They make the seats wide enough to get you over in the middle of the boat and you've lost space at that point over just a simple rear bench. Gun Boxes are nice but they collect junk. I prefer an open boat with the least amount of "stuff" in it as possible. Mud Buddy use to make a side gun sleeve for 2 guns that was better than the gun box to me.

I've had every major brand mud motor, every size mud motor, every size boat from pirogue, sculling boats all the way up to 20+ footers with large outboards. War Eagles, TDB. Mud Boats, Custom Legend Craft....I've done it all. I've had people build boats. Custom 100%. Some of these hull designs on these new "mud boats" with all these fancy bends and crimps on the sides are completely stupid. They look cool. You are paying to look cool. I can look at the chines and tell you they don't run good in the mud. They are fancy looking though that's where it ends.

Unless you plan to hunt on a WMA with a 25hp restriction an 18/48 setup like I described above will get you anywhere you really need to go. Get you 2 nice push poles from Go-Devil and that's your best setup for hunting anywhere other than a Louisiana swamp or delta somewhere there might be a ton of mud flats. Even then I've watched Cajuns run a 40hp on a jack plate where I thought only a mud motor would go. As long as you are experienced and know what you are doing you won't burn up the motor or tear up the foot as easily as some would lead you to believe..

© 2024 ALDEER.COM