Aldeer.com

Rusty receiver/barrel

Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/08/18 08:11 PM

Starts to corrode after nearly every hunt. This is my duck hunting gun. Gotten worse since moved to the coast. It’s a matte black 1187. I scrub it down with solvent and a wire brush. I wonder if it needs rebluing?
Posted By: Big Buck Video

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/08/18 08:47 PM

Cerakote is your friend.

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/08/18 09:49 PM

You're probably right. Wouldn't that be a little expensive, though?
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/08/18 09:49 PM

Remington has always been a rust bucket on their non blued barrels
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/09/18 06:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Remington has always been a rust bucket on their non blued barrels

YEUP! They had issues for years on these guns. You could literally leave it in a case for a day or two and pull it out and rust would be on it.

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/09/18 08:09 AM

I've hunted hard with it for about 7 years. Hasn't been a huge issue until last year. Can not keep it clean for the life of me now.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/09/18 09:14 AM

If it is a synthetic gun, go have it dipped if you plan to keep it.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/09/18 10:18 AM

I know someone prolly cerakote it for less than 150. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/09/18 07:44 PM

I don't want to put much into it so I guess cerakote would be off the table.

Looks like I'm just going to have to clean it after every use like they say to do anyway...
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/09/18 08:54 PM

Ten four. I had an 870 done for the same reasons you mentioned. Don't think I've put oil on it since it was cerakoted.
Posted By: HalBedford

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/11/18 03:08 PM

adhesion promoter>Rattle can>clear cote. About $20.00 and your good.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/11/18 03:30 PM

Had an 870 that would rust while is was in the woods it seemed. I've got pretty guns and guns that are tools. My duck guns are tools. Just get some Rustoleum in whatever color you want and put a few coats on it. Keep the internals well oiled with an oil that will not freeze (learned that the hard way.)
Posted By: KHOOKS

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/11/18 03:58 PM

TRY some birchwood casey barricade rust protection and preventive. the protection comes in a bottle like lighter fluid & the preventive is in a spray can. I have had great luck with these two for keeping rust my firearms that just seem to rust over night. Now they don't rust much at all. I guess I've put three applications on them and now rust is not a issue when storing. Now if took out into the elements you need to reapply more often. but they will get better the stuff works into the metal over time and seems to me to stop most rust from forming.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/11/18 08:12 PM

Black spray paint.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/11/18 09:47 PM

Ozark I didn't read every post but if it hasn't been mentioned....if you are south of the 14 mile railroad bridge you are hunting in a salty environment and it is rougher on guns the farther you go south. Not much you can do except tolerate it, cerakote it, or make atrip to the hardware store for some fast dry Krylon.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/12/18 07:14 AM

Cerakote cerakote cerakote. Listen to these guys and you’ll have no rust worries for a long time
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/15/18 08:07 PM

Brownells matte black Aluma-Hyde II worked wonderfully for me. Look it up. It’s cheap and have not had to reapply yet.

Re: Rusty receiver/barrel - 01/15/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: cartervj
Brownells matte black Aluma-Hyde II worked wonderfully for me. Look it up. It’s cheap and have not had to reapply yet.
I'll check it out
© 2024 ALDEER.COM