Aldeer.com

Crow Creek SOA hunts

Posted By: AUhunter07

Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/10/17 08:28 PM

Curious is anyone on here was selected for one of the Special Opportunity Area hunts at Crow Creek this year? Curious on how the early season hunts went and would to talk about some spots I have found if possible to see if we are on the right track. We were selected for section 1.

Thanks!
Posted By: bone_collector

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/10/17 08:32 PM

Couple pics got posted from Crow Creek on the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division page on Facebook.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/10/17 09:15 PM

Perfect thanks! I can probably get some names off of there.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 08:14 AM

Check your private messages also.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 09:00 AM

thumbup
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 12:29 PM

I was selected for section 1 on the Jan 11-13 hunt. There are pics from this past weekend where they slammed them on the Crow Creek SOA hunt, it's on Alabamans wildlife and freshwater fisheries page.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 01:32 PM

We are hunting section 1 next week. I’ll let you know how we do. Not much water in section 1 right now. 2,4, and 5 seem to have the most water. I saw one pic where they killed a few mallards and a couple woodies. No clue which section they were in though. Hope we can do a little better than that...
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 02:34 PM

I am an alternate

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 06:33 PM

I didn't get a chance to do that noon-3pm scout day on a Saturday a few months ago. Looking at old arial maps it looks like zone 1 has some kind of small pond and another flooded water place up against the tree line. I'll probably end up calling the waterfowl biologist before I head up (Courtenay Conrig).

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/11/17 08:08 PM

That is what we did as well. I just went yesterday. The only thing they said is they have to make sure none of the hunts are around the time you want go and they have to let the game warden know . That water hole is in the middle of a 10year old natural regrowth cut over. No fun to get to. It will be really fun in the dark!! Was hoping we had more water.
Posted By: Drdeadchef

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/13/17 05:58 PM

We have section 5 the 11-13 of January. I am hoping that it will have good water on it. I haven't seen any pictures except one in Facebook of a few mallards and woodies. Has anyone actually hunted it yet and been successful? I am looking forward to hunting with my son's for the weekend.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/15/17 04:07 PM

Section 5 had by far the most water I saw the other day. I will let y’all know how it goes next Friday.
Posted By: HeartofDixie

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/16/17 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: AUhunter07
Section 5 had by far the most water I saw the other day. I will let y’all know how it goes next Friday.

Check your private message

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/17/17 11:24 PM

thumbup
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/18/17 10:12 AM

We have Zone 3 for this weekend

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 10:01 AM

See you out there! Weather is looking rough cry

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 10:41 AM

Yep. Just hoping our zone has some water. From the looks of Google maps, it seems to be nothing but a bunch of saplings and not much open area. But who knows.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: bobwallace
Yep. Just hoping our zone has some water. From the looks of Google maps, it seems to be nothing but a bunch of saplings and not much open area. But who knows.
all that area you’ve got is nothing but saplings, but the state has done work to it. They cut some holes in it, right out in the middle and stacked the brush around the holes for cover. But beware, those sapling stobs will make short work of waders.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Hevishot13
all that area you’ve got is nothing but saplings, but the state has done work to it. They cut some holes in it, right out in the middle and stacked the brush around the holes for cover. But beware, those sapling stobs will make short work of waders.

Thanks Hevi. I figured the state might have done something to make it a little more huntable. Gonna be fun weaving through the saplings and stobs in the dark. Ain't like I haven't done it before though.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 11:18 AM

Thanks Hevi. I figured the state might have done something to make it a little more huntable. Gonna be fun weaving through the saplings and stobs in the dark. Ain't like I haven't done it before though.
no problem buddy. Stay late and don’t shoot woodies unless a last resort. Mallards will hit in later in the morning if you dont shoot woodies at daylight. I hope you stack em up like cordwood pal. Send me some pics

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 01:16 PM

no problem buddy. Stay late and don’t shoot woodies unless a last resort. Mallards will hit in later in the morning if you dont shoot woodies at daylight. I hope you stack em up like cordwood pal. Send me some pics

Thanks bud. Hopefully I'll have some pics to send ya.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/19/17 09:31 PM

Damn, I wish I had been drawn. All you southern boys got drawn and none of us residents that I know of got drawn.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/20/17 10:21 PM

Sent you a PM
Posted By: wild

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 12/21/17 09:10 AM

Section 1 sucked for us. Section 2 sounded like it was the best. You might get some birds in the middle of section 1 or in flooded timber. Watch out for the deep hole...i found it. Lol

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/04/18 01:07 PM

Anyone hunting the SOA zones this weekend?

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/13/18 09:06 PM

Zone 1 was pretty good for the Jan 11-13 hunt, I shot my first black duck on day one then a black duck mallard hybrid on day 2.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/14/18 10:14 PM

Zone 5 was pretty solid. Missed the X on day 1 and only got a couple passing shots off. Day 2 found us on the X though. We should have had 3 man limit, but didn’t shoot great. Ended up with 2 mallards, 2 gadwalls, and a teal. Unfortunately we lost 3 more to the cover. Crippled went under water and lodged under matted grass. I didn’t get to hunt day 3 with the group because of other standing obligations. We probably saw 100-150 birds each day, including a few pintails and wood ducks.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/15/18 04:59 PM

Damn, I wish I had been drawn. All you southern boys got drawn and none of us residents that I know of got drawn.

I noticed same thing... haven't heard of anyone from Scottsboro in my hunting circles that got drawn. Hopefully process has been a success overall and they keep doing it.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/15/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: WinstonVizsla
Zone 1 was pretty good for the Jan 11-13 hunt, I shot my first black duck on day one then a black duck mallard hybrid on day 2.

Where the pics at? Lets see em man!

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/15/18 05:36 PM

Glad y’all had some good hunts!

We killed a couple black ducks in zone 1 as well a few weeks ago.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/15/18 11:12 PM

Hopefully these links will work.
PIC 1
More PICs
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/16/18 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: bone_collector
PIC 1
More PICs

Looks like y'all had a great time. I never hunt public land now but I'm really excited about the new SOA areas for public hunting. This looks like a great duck hunt and I've seen several good bucks come off the SOA deer hunts already. I really like to idea of having some public land that great hunting and on a draw system.
Congrats to y'all for taking advantage of a good place to hunt, cool pictures too.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/16/18 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bone_collector
PIC 1
More PICs

Awesome pics man! I seen a few of these on the NADHA facebook group! Man what a bunch of @$$hats in that group! Lots of good guys and great discussion there but then several idiots have to go and show their tails and act like they know everything and their opinion matters more than everyone else! Nice hunt and awesome pics man! Beautiful dog too! My chocolate is retired now!

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/16/18 01:31 PM

Photobucket doesn't allow image hosting anymore do they? That's all I have. I can text the pics to someone if there's another way.

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/16/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: WinstonVizsla
Photobucket doesn't allow image hosting anymore do they? That's all I have. I can text the pics to someone if there's another way.

I'll PM you! but imgur is a very easy app to download and use!

Re: Crow Creek SOA hunts - 01/16/18 11:37 PM

© 2024 ALDEER.COM