Aldeer.com

Cold Weather

Posted By: toothdoc

Cold Weather - 12/04/17 11:02 PM

I've seen very few ducks other than local ducks so far in Alabama. I have not even seen the coot I usually see. I hope this cold front brings us some ducks.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Cold Weather - 12/04/17 11:43 PM

Same way down here, Doc. We had a good number of ducks here before the season opened. They have all but disappeared in the last 3 weeks. Still got lots of geese in the area. Maybe this cold snap will help.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Cold Weather - 12/05/17 06:15 AM

There should be some here Wednesday and especially Friday. That front we have coming Friday may give me the urge............
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Cold Weather - 12/05/17 07:01 AM

This is one of the reasons we only hunt ducks when they show up and specks the rest of the time. Record year last year and going to bust that number by Christmas this year. Geese are just more reliable and not subject to going back to the ice line like big ducks. plus they really do eat good!
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Cold Weather - 12/05/17 09:35 AM

Its still early. It was raining on lake superior yesterday. Having said that it is supposed to be highs in the teens in the dakotas this weekend. There will be a push, just not sure how big.

Doesn't matter. We'll be out there trying to fool them.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Cold Weather - 12/05/17 03:15 PM

My son and I will be on the refuge in Eufaula this wkend.

Gonna be a lot cooler than last wkend.

Good luck everyone.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Cold Weather - 12/05/17 04:08 PM

Gonna leave in the morning headed to Arkansas. Hope the front has pushed some fresh ducks in.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Cold Weather - 12/06/17 12:03 PM

Heading to Reelfoot Friday, fingers crossed.
Posted By: rblaker

Re: Cold Weather - 12/06/17 04:21 PM

Leaving for Arkansas Friday night so hopefully we get a good push of birds.
Posted By: specialk

Re: Cold Weather - 12/06/17 04:44 PM

We’re headed to south east Missouri Friday. I think we timed it just right. Good luck to everyone!
Posted By: Nick344

Re: Cold Weather - 12/06/17 06:19 PM

Everyone headed out of town to hunt. You suck! That is all. laugh j/k I’m jealous. Good luck!
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Cold Weather - 12/06/17 07:28 PM

Glad you killers are headed out of town. More chances locally.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Cold Weather - 12/06/17 07:35 PM

I expect to see pics of some full straps on Monday!

Dr. B

Re: Cold Weather - 12/10/17 09:04 AM

I had a conference in Atlanta all week. I got home last night and knew better than to head out this morning. I like killing ducks, but I like being married better. I hope you guys slayed them.

Re: Cold Weather - 12/10/17 10:56 AM

My Son and his friends killed 33 yesterday morning. All I got to say is, yes they were shy of everyone limiting out. And 2, farm ponds strike again!
Posted By: specialk

Re: Cold Weather - 12/10/17 02:31 PM

Wish I could post some pics of full straps but it was a tough weekend. Ducks were not here but we still had a great time.

Re: Cold Weather - 12/10/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Drake322
My Son and his friends killed 33 yesterday morning. All I got to say is, yes they were shy of everyone limiting out. And 2, farm ponds strike again!
. Don't do us like that. I need pics to live vicariously. What species were they shooting? I'm hoping to go Tuesday morning, but I may get lazy and just deer hunt.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Cold Weather - 12/10/17 04:22 PM

3 of us got 14 small ducks Saturday morning. Tried to let my son get his limit but didn’t work out.
His first hunt and it was snowing like crazy with birds everywhere.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Cold Weather - 12/10/17 06:47 PM

Scraped out a couple. Was hoping for a few more with this front, though
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Cold Weather - 12/11/17 09:14 AM

I know of 2 groups that hunted in central Alabama this weekend. One in the west one in the east and they got nothing but a few wood duck and a blanket of snow

Re: Cold Weather - 12/11/17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: toothdoc
Originally Posted By: Drake322
. Don't do us like that. I need pics to live vicariously. What species were they shooting? I'm hoping to go Tuesday morning, but I may get lazy and just deer hunt.

All Gadwalls. All three ponds had the typical "funk" in them from cow chit runoff. Gadwalls love that.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Cold Weather - 12/12/17 07:35 PM

I hope y'all have water, this is the DRIEST I've ever seen AR. If there was big push of birds they'd have no where to land except dry ground.

Re: Cold Weather - 12/13/17 08:57 AM

I don't think we have gotten many birds yet. I hunted my pond yesterday and did not see any ducks flying. I did see some geese. I can usually hear and see them over the lake from my place and hoping I could draw a few over, but nothing was flying yesterday. I did see a few gadwalls swimming around near the dock when I dropped the boat back off at my house.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Cold Weather - 12/13/17 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: cartervj
I hope y'all have water, this is the DRIEST I've ever seen AR. If there was big push of birds they'd have no where to land except dry ground.

I was in NEA this past weekend. Dry, dry, dry. No ducks to speak of.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Cold Weather - 12/15/17 10:30 PM

So does the drought mean that they don't flood the rice fields? Or are you guys talking about the timber being dry?
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Cold Weather - 12/16/17 12:29 PM

Only fields that were pumped have water. It’s pretty expensive to pump fields so several are dry. Rivers are low and not at flood stage where we were at. From Harrisburg north we usually pass 40 plus fields with water. May have been 5 total counting the lease.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Cold Weather - 12/16/17 09:52 PM

We hunt right outside of Harrisburg. Haven't talked to them yet or not to see if they got water. They use a large reservoir to flood their fields so I'm guessing they don't have water.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM