Aldeer.com

Black ducks

Posted By: juice

Black ducks - 11/30/17 02:04 PM

Anyone takes a trip to the east coast to hunt them? Me and a buddy are wanting to give it a whirl and are looking for info. I’m dying for a couple to put on the wall.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Black ducks - 11/30/17 02:10 PM

Don't have to leave Alabama. Just find a good swamp.

Re: Black ducks - 11/30/17 03:51 PM

That’s the problem. I don’t have access to anything that I’ve ever known to hold a black duck.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Black ducks - 11/30/17 10:04 PM

More than plenty up here
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Black ducks - 11/30/17 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
More than plenty up here
put me on em matt. Ill trade you a turkey fer em
Posted By: AC870

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 12:00 AM

Only one I killed was in a wide spot in a creek. They came in behind us and I kept my face down until they were right on top of us.
I took a snap shot right as they came over. It was low light and I thought I’d shot a wood duck.
My brother knew before he picked it up.
“You just killed yourself a black duck,” he said.
He shot the one with it. It was a hybrid mallard, black duck. Had a streak of green through its head.
Posted By: WarTiger

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 11:11 AM

I've done a east coast hunt in Mass and Maine but I wouldnt go for just a Black Duck. Make a sea duck trip and ask to go shoot a black duck. Most of it is just jump shooting them up there anyway. With that said I still didn't get my black duck.

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 11:33 AM

You got coordinates?

More than plenty up here
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 04:01 PM

You would be surprised how many secluded farm ponds hold black ducks. Gotta have some woods around them or close by, and maybe a creek. Killed many off ponds.

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 08:04 PM

I’ve got access to a handful of farm ponds with woods close by but most of what we kill are grey ducks and a few mallards on them.

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 10:25 PM

These river sloughs west of Decatur hold the better numbers I've seen.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: juice
I’ve got access to a handful of farm ponds with woods close by but most of what we kill are grey ducks and a few mallards on them.

What are you calling a grey duck? Gadwall?

Re: Black ducks - 12/01/17 11:18 PM

Yep grey duck is a gadwall.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Black ducks - 12/02/17 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock

it's a Cajun thing
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Black ducks - 12/03/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum
Originally Posted By: Mbrock

it's a Cajun thing

I've rarely heard Gadwalls called Grey ducks except from Cajuns, around here they're known as the Guntersville Mallard I believe.

What's crazy, during the 80's we never seen drakes and very few hens. We'd think we had hen mallards till we seen the spots not he bill. They used to be pretty stupid too, shoot a few in a small flock and the they would keep coming back for more.
Posted By: gman

Re: Black ducks - 12/04/17 10:17 AM

My youngest got him a black duck this weekend. They were picking greenhead shots only Saturday pm and got the black duck sunday morning. They had a couple good hunts.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Black ducks - 12/04/17 06:32 PM

Good deal. Headed to the wall...?.
Posted By: gman

Re: Black ducks - 12/05/17 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: top cat
Good deal. Headed to the wall...?.
Yeah, I reckon. I think they have a pintail and really pretty widgeon in the freezer waiting too. This could get expensive...
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Black ducks - 12/05/17 01:18 PM

There isn't a spot in Alabama or any other state for that matter, with plenty of black ducks, except the east coast.

Re: Black ducks - 12/05/17 11:16 PM

We get majority of our ducks up here from Delmarva. Hence why we do get a fair amount of blacks. There's a spot in limestone co that's a slam dunk anytime after xmas
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Black ducks - 12/05/17 11:22 PM

I've always wanted to kill a black duck. Just one for the wall. They're a dang pretty bird. Wink wink
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Black ducks - 12/05/17 11:38 PM

We get majority of our ducks up here from Delmarva. Hence why we do get a fair amount of blacks. There's a spot in limestone co that's a slam dunk anytime after xmas

There’s one in Jackson too. Never been there and not seen em. There are some places that they just like to go I guess.

Re: Black ducks - 12/05/17 11:43 PM

But I despise duck hunting with a passion. If I never shoot one again I'll die a happy man. Turned down several trips to Illinois last few years on great places just cause I hate it now. Don't know why. Just do
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Black ducks - 12/06/17 06:42 AM

Matt, you would love Texas goose hunting then. Go out before light and lay on yer back on frozen ground till noon and watch 10,000 geese fly over you 200 yards up. Maybe 10 geese all morning will come in below 100 yards high. Move and do it again that afternoon. Never again.

Re: Black ducks - 12/06/17 07:53 AM

That's a big ole negative for a stupid goose either. I just don't play that game anymore
Posted By: AC870

Re: Black ducks - 12/06/17 07:57 AM

I got this new over & under and I kind of got just a little itch to go duck hunting. But I’m holding it off for the moment.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Black ducks - 12/06/17 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Matt, you would love Texas goose hunting then. Go out before light and lay on yer back on frozen ground till noon and watch 10,000 geese fly over you 200 yards up. Maybe 10 geese all morning will come in below 100 yards high. Move and do it again that afternoon. Never again.

I am afraid that my OK duck hunt is gonna turn out to be something like that. Every time I go duck hunting, the ducks have always gone somewhere else.

But shooting at any kind of flying critter is more fun to me than sitting in a tree waiting on a deer to walk by. I'll take a good crow hunt over a deer hunt any day.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Black ducks - 12/06/17 10:24 AM

Duck hunters are just like deer hunters. We go hunting based on hope, not the realistic expectations of experience. When I deer hunt, I get a shot at a mature, mountable buck every couple of years. Those days sitting in the stand with no deer or small bucks and does are easily forgotten. The days when a hot doe is being chased by a never ending parade of bucks stay etched in our mind. Same with duck hunting. The slow days are forgotten but the days when the birds are migrating and flocks are landing in the decoys, we remember forever.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM