Aldeer.com

Heading to Arkansas.

Posted By: Nick344

Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 08:02 PM

Buddy just called and asked if I wanted to carry my boy to Arkansas youth hunt next weekend. Any advice for some must take gear?
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 08:25 PM

It's just a one day hunt.....Sure you realize that. As far as gear goes it'll depend one what your hunting (blind, pit, woods, etc). If you don't need waders then wear your deer gear - and take a good fitting plugged shotgun for the youth. I like #3's shot shells

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 08:32 PM

We are going to be in a pit. Yes I know it’s one day. It’s going to be cheaper than paying for a hunt for us over there to see how he enjoys it. He getting discouraged hunting deer. He will be happy just to see birds.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 08:42 PM

He will see birds. Just make sure and keep him warm. Buddy heater in the pit if you have too. I am assuming a 20 gauge, so 3,4 or 5 shot will kill decoying birds. Have fun and enjoy being in a flyway.

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AU coonhunter
He will see birds. Just make sure and keep him warm. Buddy heater in the pit if you have too. I am assuming a 20 gauge, so 3,4 or 5 shot will kill decoying birds. Have fun and enjoy being in a flyway.

Yes sir I am packing extra clothes so he can layer. Yes he is shooting a 20ga. I will pick up some more ammo. In y’all’s shot size recommendations.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 10:54 PM

In a 20 gauge I'd probably go with 4s. Hopefully y'all aren't having to sky bust too much.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/25/17 11:00 PM

If you're staying at a hotel, don't leave any gear in your truck. I know a guy who had something stolen out of is truck or boat on multiple occasions.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/26/17 11:24 AM

Even in a pit, if no waders, go get him some rubber nock off muck boots at academy so his feet don't get wet.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/26/17 12:52 PM

Id suggest hearing protection, teach him hearing safety and in a pit the sound magnifies. He wont have as much fun if his hears are ringing all day.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/26/17 01:10 PM

check the depth of the pit he may need something to stand on. we ran into this years ago. go and enjoy

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/26/17 03:11 PM

We already practice hearing safety and I will make sure to pack his rubber boots.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 02:17 PM

Lots of good advice here. Old enough to shoot on the wing or going to have to shoot on the water? Probably important to establish up front.

Milk crate or wooden box to stand on
Lots of shells
Lots of snacks
Thermos of hot chocolate
Handwarmers
Extra set of socks, gloves and jacket, in case someone falls in

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 02:19 PM

Hope he/she burns a bunch of powder. I'll have several yutes in the blind on Sat.

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TickaTicka
Lots of good advice here. Old enough to shoot on the wing or going to have to shoot on the water? Probably important to establish up front.

Lots of shells
Lots of snacks
Thermos of hot chocolate
Handwarmers

I was thinking 3 boxes of shells should I bring more? This is a first for us so I am clue less
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 02:38 PM

Something I never understood. On youth season dates the goose seasons are always closed for some reason.
But once we had a big pile of kids on a hunt and an active warden on the hunt with us. Some specks came by low and my boys were on the close end and I said remember goose is closed guys. He said just on that group...that's the stupidest thing I ever heard from the uppers...and announced boys ya'll had better shoot some of these geese so they don't eat the tundra down!
Open season..about6 boxes worth..for 2 sky carp and 2 specks but they sure had fun!

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick344
Originally Posted By: TickaTicka

Lots of shells
Lots of snacks
Thermos of hot chocolate
Handwarmers

I was thinking 3 boxes of shells should I bring more? This is a first for us so I am clue less

75 shells should do it. Most I've ever seen shot by one kid was 4 boxes. Couldn't hit a thing gun
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 03:34 PM

6 boxes was for 7-8 kids. 3 boxes and you will bring some home for sure

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 07:42 PM

Thanks fellas.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/27/17 11:38 PM

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes and see some pics. Lots of good advice above.

I'm sure you're aware of the shells having to be steel (or tungsten/bismuth) but just wanted to make a friendly reminder for you.

Good luck and have fun! Not too many things as good as a good duck hunt. thumbup
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/28/17 10:27 AM

The way I read the regulation is that geese are legal game for the youth. The goose season is closed for adults. That keeps "Daddy's" gun out of the pit.

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/28/17 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishduck
The way I read the regulation is that geese are legal game for the youth. The goose season is closed for adults. That keeps "Daddy's" gun out of the pit.

Yes, you are correct, kids can kill geese.
Posted By: imadeerfan

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/28/17 05:04 PM

We just got back from Dewitt,tough hunting with no water & 70 degree weather.
The fella we lease from is 67 years old & he said its the driest he's ever seen it.

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/28/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: imadeerfan
We just got back from Dewitt,tough hunting with no water & 70 degree weather.
The fella we lease from is 67 years old & he said its the driest he's ever seen it.

My buddy has had water. It’s supposed to be cold so hopefully they’ll be fling.
Posted By: Gobl4me

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/28/17 07:20 PM

It's gonna be a rough year if we don't get some rain...I have 180 acres of water now and we have ducks. Just gonna have to be conservative and not shoot them out. We are hunting 2-3 times a week...... if we get rain we can spread out and hunt more often. I live in Arkansas full time.... and it's one of the dryer years is the past 10. All it takes is one big weather system to turn it around.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/29/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Gobl4me
It's gonna be a rough year if we don't get some rain...I have 180 acres of water now and we have ducks.
So what's the problem lol

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/29/17 09:04 AM

Duck hunters are never happy with the weather.

Its like the stock market, you want it moving, doesn't matter if its up or down, but you don't want it static.

Weather has been static since opener.
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 11/29/17 03:16 PM

Yes. Gotta keep them moving down. I think there is supposed to be some rain coming through in the next few weeks. Need a few fronts to come through.

Re: Heading to Arkansas. - 12/02/17 10:45 AM

Morning hunt in the books. Seen a ton of ducks and geese. Boys just couldn’t hit any.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM