Aldeer.com

Survey question.

Posted By: tbest3

Survey question. - 09/26/17 09:08 AM

If you were planning a public land duck trip where would you go & why? Just a general question asked out of curiosity. Don't even have to give a specific place just a general region if you want.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 09:32 AM

Bayou Meto WMA in Arkansas.........should be pretty much empty on opening morning.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 09:42 AM

lol probably won't be another boat on the water.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 10:06 AM

Argentina
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
Bayou Meto WMA in Arkansas.........should be pretty much empty on opening morning.

Been there and limited out most mornings, of course you can only shoot 3, and only carry 15 shells. I go with locals though. You got zero chance doing it on your own the first time, in fact in can be very dangerous. YouTube bayou meto boat races.

I would go to NODAK lots of open permit private land, and you can just drive around until you find birds and then knock on the farmers door. It's mostly dry field hunting so no boat necessary
Posted By: AFO123

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 11:14 AM

Nodak is the Mecca for public land hunting and private land open to sportsman (PLOTS) lots of BLM land too, but it's a loooong drive.

I've done really well in TX on the WMAs and NWRs on the coast. If your looking for strictly Mallards it's not the place, but for everything else, widgeon, pintails, teal and grey ducks, it's hard to beat.
Posted By: Fishduck

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 12:30 PM

Flooded timber in Arkansas would be my answer. There are several things that you need to know. It will take several days and lots of scouting to find ducks. Someone else will have also found the ducks, so you will have to beat that group to the hole. You may set up to someone that can really call ducks and you may listen to them shoot all morning. Worse would be setting up next to someone that shoots at your swing ducks all morning.

On second thought there must be a better place to go.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 03:35 PM

Idaho. Very few duck hunt and they absolutely smash waterfowl in some of the most scenic landscape you could imagine.

I have very few regrets in life, but the one regret I do have is that I was once offered a job in Boise, ID and I didn't take it. I think about that often.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Survey question. - 09/26/17 08:56 PM

North Dakota hands down. Birds have very little pressure when they get here. Find the right field and it can be amazing.
Posted By: huntdeer13

Re: Survey question. - 09/28/17 04:21 PM

North Dakota has the best public access that I have seen, but it is such a long drive. It was miserable.The Pheasant hunting in North Dakota is the bonus that pushes it to the top for me.

Flooded timber in Arkansas is hard to beat when it is good too.

I have always wanted to hunt the public land in South Texas, but can't find anyone to send me in the right direction.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Survey question. - 09/28/17 08:37 PM

I've been a lot of places duck hunting. All on public land. Central Kansas is the closest that I consider to be very good. The dakotas are a long azz drive but better hunting. Any further south than Kansas and you rely too much on the weather. Central flyway is night and day easier hunting than the mississippi flyway.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM