Aldeer.com

Choke for dove

Posted By: Reno

Choke for dove - 08/28/17 10:18 AM

What's the best choke for dove hunting? Ill be shooting a 12 gauge pump and/or auto
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 10:25 AM

I normally start with modified but will carry all three chokes to the field with me.

Just my personal preference.
Posted By: North40R

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 10:26 AM

I shoot an improved modified.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 10:30 AM

I always shoot an improved cyl. 20 ga. and #8s on doves. Most of the time anything else is overkill. I sometimes shoot the same gun with a modified and 7.5's if they are flying high or later in the season.

It's a rare occassion, but I have hunted late season high flyers (birds had on oxygen masks) where a 12ga full choke with 6's still wasnt enough and was wishing for a turkey choke.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 10:39 AM

I couldn't ever decide on Im cylinder or a modified. So I bought a light modified. I like it pretty good
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 10:42 AM

I don't think it matters a whole lot if you're missing with a modified changing to an imo cyl isn't going to help much if any
Posted By: straycat

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 04:39 PM

I miss close in and lazy flying birds with a 16 ga. mule kicker with IC
If flying higher I miss them with a 12 ga with modified.

When I was a kid and teenager I could really shoot. Could normally get 12 with 1 box of shells. It helped we had so many doves that one could be very selective. Not so much anymore on the hunts I've been on and my skills are terrible now.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Choke for dove - 08/28/17 04:42 PM

Mod all the way unless they are landing in your lap. Most shots are a little longer than the occasional bird that lands in your lap.
Posted By: HeartofDixie

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 12:03 PM

I just bought a Briley Dove Duster choke. Gonna try it out this season. It's a lite modified.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 12:25 PM

I usually start with a full and move to a mod if I'm having an "off" day.

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 02:00 PM

Gomer, I have thought about going to full for a few season but have not had the nuts. Have you always shot a full choke or did you go to it after shooting mod for a while?
Posted By: Thelonegoose

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 03:49 PM

I use a light modified for most winged animals. never had any problems

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Thisldu
Gomer, I have thought about going to full for a few season but have not had the nuts. Have you always shot a full choke or did you go to it after shooting mod for a while?

I like to shoot clays with a full it helps me a lot when I move back to a modified.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 09:56 PM

IC in one barrel, mod in the other.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Choke for dove - 08/29/17 10:47 PM

I shoot a full in mine
Posted By: JmacZ7

Re: Choke for dove - 08/30/17 11:16 AM

Mainly light mod but if they're mostly inside 25yds I use skeet so they don't get tore up as bad.

Re: Choke for dove - 08/30/17 12:39 PM

I actually started by accident. I had not been on a dove shoot in years, up until 6 or 7 years ago. I'd just bought a Stoeger 3500 about 6 months prior. Went out for my first dove shoot in probably 15 years, got to the farm an hour away from home, and realized I'd forgotten to swap the chokes out, and didn't even bring the others with me. All I had was the full that was in it.

It worked out so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I posted in another thread that I killed 14 that day, the most I've ever killed at once. a couple I knocked stone cold dead at 60 steps - there was a dead tree about 60 steps down the tree line from me, and they kept flying toward it. I tagged them about 15ft out from the tree as they were heading to it.

Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Choke for dove - 08/30/17 11:13 PM

Always been a fan of improved or cylinder for early season
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: Choke for dove - 08/30/17 11:36 PM

Light Mod

Re: Choke for dove - 08/31/17 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle

I actually started by accident. I had not been on a dove shoot in years, up until 6 or 7 years ago. I'd just bought a Stoeger 3500 about 6 months prior. Went out for my first dove shoot in probably 15 years, got to the farm an hour away from home, and realized I'd forgotten to swap the chokes out, and didn't even bring the others with me. All I had was the full that was in it.

It worked out so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I posted in another thread that I killed 14 that day, the most I've ever killed at once. a couple I knocked stone cold dead at 60 steps - there was a dead tree about 60 steps down the tree line from me, and they kept flying toward it. I tagged them about 15ft out from the tree as they were heading to it.

We're all friends here, you don't have to make up a story about shooting them "right before" they lit in the tree. grin

Re: Choke for dove - 08/31/17 09:53 AM

We're all friends here, you don't have to make up a story about shooting them "right before" they lit in the tree. grin
lol

Re: Choke for dove - 08/31/17 10:04 AM

as soon as I posted it, I knew that was coming!
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Choke for dove - 08/31/17 10:04 AM

Or that bag of cracked corn on the porch. rofl thumbup
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Choke for dove - 08/31/17 03:06 PM

I use a 12oz. By that I mean I sit and drink beer and laugh at the guys missing them. I can tear up a sporting clays course or quail, but can't hit a dove to save my life.
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Choke for dove - 08/31/17 10:20 PM

Full choke for me. The tree landers rain feathers but the flyers don't get torn up as bad as you'd think.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Choke for dove - 09/01/17 07:30 AM

It doesn't matter to me. They're all pretty safe from the shotgun.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Choke for dove - 09/05/17 07:37 AM

I shoot a l modified and it does great! I carry a mod though with me just in case they are flying higher
© 2024 ALDEER.COM