Aldeer.com

aldeer dove shoot sept 9th

Posted By: Beadlescomb

aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/20/17 08:03 PM

$50/gun located in vance al a few miles from the mercedes plant. im guessing the field is 80-90 acres from the map i have. the land has a 2 ponds and 2-3 power lines and a gravel road to the south. there is a large pole barn so we will have a shaded place to cook hang out etc. there is a bathroom on site hopefully the birds show up and we have a great shoot.

im trying to keep this aldeer members family and friends only...

ill post the address when it gets closer to the hunt. any questions or concerns you can reach me at 2055231909 call or text
Posted By: JA

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/20/17 08:12 PM

Count me in. Thanks for doing this. thumbup

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/20/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: JA
Count me in. Thanks for doing this. thumbup

no problem
Posted By: fillmore

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/20/17 09:07 PM

I could be interested depending on dates. Bham to Vance would be easy for me. Thanks.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/20/17 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: fillmore
I could be interested depending on dates. Bham to Vance would be easy for me. Thanks.

sept 9th
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/21/17 03:02 PM

I reserved the cabin ... there's one room at the B&B left

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/21/17 03:09 PM

Dang this cabin is rustic ... right down my alley haha

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/21/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket62
Dang this cabin is rustic ... right down my alley haha

ivr never been in it ill check it out this afternoon
Posted By: Geno

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/22/17 07:59 AM

I'm in unless I'm in Tallahassee.
Posted By: Reno

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/23/17 09:29 PM

Count me in on this

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/23/17 09:34 PM

i went friday afternoon and saw 150+- birds. didnt see as many today but it was late morning early afternoon. there is a flock of pigeons hanging around. sure hoping they hang around for opening day

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/23/17 09:37 PM

im thinking we may have to cut it off at 50 shooters not counting a kid sitting beside you or something along those lines. im going to take my range finder out there and try to figure up how much tree line we have to work with. its a big field but i dont want anyone to feel crowded
Posted By: deerhunter_1

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/23/17 11:11 PM

Count me in as well. I can at least keep the birds from landing.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/24/17 02:15 PM

I've shot a lot of doves on big fields and I can tell you from experience that 50 is not near enough guns on a 100 acre field. Figure it like this. Let's say the field is 2000ft x 2200 ft which is 101 acres and basically square. If you space your shooters out on just the perimeter with a generous 60-65yd spacing between shooters, you've got 43 stand locations to adequately cover just the perimeter/outline of the field with nobody in the actual field itself. You'll need to scatter another 60 or so guns (at a minimum) out in the field itself (this is where the majority of your acreage is) to keep the birds in the air and moving. If it is a "true" 100 acre field, you should not have any problem whatsoever with 100+ guns/stands on it.
Posted By: straycat

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/24/17 02:48 PM

Count me in. Will bring my boys with me.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/24/17 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: abolt300
I've shot a lot of doves on big fields and I can tell you from experience that 50 is not near enough guns on a 100 acre field. Figure it like this. Let's say the field is 2000ft x 2200 ft which is 101 acres and basically square. If you space your shooters out on just the perimeter with a generous 60-65yd spacing between shooters, you've got 43 stand locations to adequately cover just the perimeter/outline of the field with nobody in the actual field itself. You'll need to scatter another 60 or so guns (at a minimum) out in the field itself (this is where the majority of your acreage is) to keep the birds in the air and moving. If it is a "true" 100 acre field, you should not have any problem whatsoever with 100+ guns/stands on it.

its probably more like 60-70 acres of huntable field with several different spots planted in it
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/25/17 08:51 AM

Use this link to mark the perimeter and it will tell you exactly how big the field is.

Acreage Calculator

If it's the big field behind the B&B and cabin, I'm showing between 55-60 acres.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/25/17 11:24 AM

it is and thats what i had figured after i really got to looking at it
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/25/17 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb

I guess everyone has their own idea of what makes a good dove shoot. I think 50 is more than enough for a field that size. Looking at the math a little different, if you had one stander in the center of every acre, you would have all the standers 70 yds apart. So if I shoot at a bird that is 40 yds away, that same bird will only be 30 yds away from the next guy. Too close for me.

I don't want another guy within 100 yds of me. That way if a bird is within range of me he is out of range of the next guy. And to me 100 yds is the very minimum; it doesn't hurt a thing if standers are 150 or 200 yds apart. I've hunted on 100 acre fields with 5 or 6 guys and had great hunts. If nobody is sky blasting at them, doves that are using the field will eventually fly by someone and give them a reasonable shot.
Thanks for setting up the hunt, Beadle. I know you are probably gonna get all sorts of "ideas" from those of us who did none of the work to set it up, and I don't mean to add to that. It's your hunt, so limit it the way you want. I just wanted to offer a different perspective from some of the others. If I can't make the first, I sure hope you hold another one I can make.
Posted By: Bait57

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/26/17 12:09 PM

I'm in beatle
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/26/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

I guess everyone has their own idea of what makes a good dove shoot. I think 50 is more than enough for a field that size. Looking at the math a little different, if you had one stander in the center of every acre, you would have all the standers 70 yds apart. So if I shoot at a bird that is 40 yds away, that same bird will only be 30 yds away from the next guy. Too close for me.

I don't want another guy within 100 yds of me. That way if a bird is within range of me he is out of range of the next guy. And to me 100 yds is the very minimum; it doesn't hurt a thing if standers are 150 or 200 yds apart. I've hunted on 100 acre fields with 5 or 6 guys and had great hunts. If nobody is sky blasting at them, doves that are using the field will eventually fly by someone and give them a reasonable shot.
Thanks for setting up the hunt, Beadle. I know you are probably gonna get all sorts of "ideas" from those of us who did none of the work to set it up, and I don't mean to add to that. It's your hunt, so limit it the way you want. I just wanted to offer a different perspective from some of the others. If I can't make the first, I sure hope you hold another one I can make.
Wow, 100 acres with 6 guys seems a tad underkill. Not saying you couldn't have a good hunt but whew
Posted By: jono23

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/26/17 09:05 PM

I'm planning on being there. It'd be fun hanging out with some of you guys.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/27/17 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Wow, 100 acres with 6 guys seems a tad underkill. Not saying you couldn't have a good hunt but whew

Second season and most people wanna chase goats. Spread out and the birds will fly by someone, and you will get much better shots. It's much more enjoyable than having the next guy claim every bird you kill. smile
Posted By: Smells

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/30/17 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Second season and most people wanna chase goats. Spread out and the birds will fly by someone, and you will get much better shots. It's much more enjoyable than having the next guy claim every bird you kill. smile

I say let him claim them and after I get done shooting his limit then I will start on mine laugh!

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/30/17 08:14 PM

Is the opener officially the 9th and how do you know that?

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/30/17 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
Is the opener officially the 9th and how do you know that?

its says it is in the reg book
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/31/17 03:38 PM

http://www.outdooralabama.com/season-and-bag-limits

This says the 10th
Posted By: jprice

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/31/17 03:49 PM

Those are 16-17 you want 17-18 seasons

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/31/17 05:02 PM

season opens the 9th but can only shoot from noon till dark
Posted By: chevydude2015

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 07/31/17 06:05 PM

Dang you're right. Would have thought the website would have been updated to 17-18 by now

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/05/17 07:45 PM

broke up some ground and top sewed some wheat today still have soms birds hanging around. aeveral flocks of pigeons too

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/05/17 07:50 PM

Still have open spots?

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/05/17 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
Still have open spots?

i think im going to make a post september first at 12 and make an official list of names. ive had 4 or 5 guys text me and tell me for sure that they are coming and have made arrangements to stay
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/05/17 09:45 PM

broke up some ground and top sewed some wheat today still have soms birds hanging around. aeveral flocks of pigeons too

You will have a fine stand of wheat after it rains 3-5" this week laugh

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/05/17 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

You will have a fine stand of wheat after it rains 3-5" this week laugh

it doesnt rain there. it seems like the rain always misses that place
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/05/17 11:59 PM

I did the same thing in Bibb co. I hope to be able to do the same thing a couple more times before season opens. Don't plan to shoot it until October
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/06/17 06:09 AM

Soon as this weeks rain passes putting mine out

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/06/17 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
Soon as this weeks rain passes putting mine out

we might have been a little early doing it but i wanted to get some more seed on the ground while i had time.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/08/17 09:22 AM

Is it raining over there? smile

Bet we've gotten a good 2" soaker here this morning.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/08/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

Is it raining over there? smile

Bet we've gotten a good 2" soaker here this morning.

hell yeah

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/16/17 08:17 PM

talked to the land owner today and she said there were 100+- doves on the power line by the tractor shed this afternoon. im going to ride up there and check things out tomorrow

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/16/17 09:13 PM

talked to the land owner today and she said there were 100+- doves on the power line by the tractor shed this afternoon. im going to ride up there and check things out tomorrow

Save us a few grin

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/17/17 07:14 AM

Cool, sounds like we gonna have fun

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/17/17 07:56 PM

i was in the area around lunch time today and only saw about 20 birds flying but thats also not primetime for them to be flying

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/17/17 08:05 PM

the local restauraunt closed so ive got a buddy that does bbq competitions thats going to come cook for us. hes supposed to get back to me if hes going to charge or just take donations
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/18/17 09:46 AM

Didn't want to clutter your sign up post.

ATV/UTV's allowed?
Kids allowed?
Sounds like food is being lined up?
Starts at noon? Goes to dark?
$50 is for shooters, right? One of my girls probably would come with me, but she will most likely just sit with me and not shoot.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/18/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TickaTicka
Didn't want to clutter your sign up post.

ATV/UTV's allowed?
Kids allowed?
Sounds like food is being lined up?
Starts at noon? Goes to dark?
$50 is for shooters, right? One of my girls probably would come with me, but she will most likely just sit with me and not shoot.

you can bring your atv but youre going to be pretty limited on places to hide it. theres no charge for your daughter. 12-sunset

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/24/17 08:20 PM

may nees an extra hand this weekend if anyone can cut loose and come up there

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/24/17 09:25 PM

may nees an extra hand this weekend if anyone can cut loose and come up there

WhT you need help with? I'm committed already on Saturday but ill be glad to help sunday... Ill be free all day
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/28/17 05:55 PM

Pm sent William

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/28/17 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Big AL 76
Pm sent William

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/29/17 12:39 PM

The landowner had a few more rooms open up if anyone is needing a place to stay

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/30/17 09:09 PM

Don't want to jinx anything but if nothing changes we are gonna have a good time

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/30/17 09:23 PM

Seeing a pile of birds?
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/30/17 09:58 PM

I just signed up in the sign up thread.

I'll take one of those rooms if it's still available. If not, can I pitch a tent?
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/30/17 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: CKyleC

I'll take one of those rooms if it's still available. If not, can I pitch a tent?

popcorn

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/30/17 10:09 PM

You gotta call the B&B and make a reservation I believe

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 08/30/17 11:03 PM

You gotta call the B&B and make a reservation I believe

She said she's renting rooms in her sisters house too. She told me to tell you

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/03/17 06:04 PM

Only a few more days

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/03/17 06:13 PM

There's a bunch of birds hanging around and they started cutting the hay Saturday morning. That shouldn't do anything but help. I was talking to the man that cuts they hay and he says every year when they cut the hay the powerlines are full of birds

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 07:58 AM

Still looking forward to this Saturday!

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: deerhunter_1
Still looking forward to this Saturday!

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 09:07 PM

https://imgur.com/a/4CdEn

There were plenty more with these today

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 09:57 PM

That's a good sign. That's a really good sign

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 10:04 PM

That's a good sign. That's a really good sign

I'm probably jinxing us but i saw 250-300 this afternoon

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 10:05 PM

Dang crossing my fingers

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 10:06 PM

Shooting starts at noon correct?

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 10:33 PM

Shooting starts at noon correct?

Yes sir I'll probably be there at 9

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/04/17 11:00 PM

Cool, I'll leave Huntsville around 6AM, there 8:00-8:30 so I can help you if you need a hand

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/05/17 08:43 AM

I am going to try and get there around 9 to give you a hand as well....
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/05/17 01:57 PM

If you have room Basscat and I would like to come.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/05/17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BIG-AL
If you have room Basscat and I would like to come.

Come on just post in the sign up thread so it's easier to keep up with it

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/06/17 10:47 AM

I may be out depending on Irma. If she threatens Jacksonville then I'll be heading down Friday to help sister and BIL secure a home. If so I'm not sure I'll be able to get back out in time for the hunt. I hate it but family comes first
Posted By: Mww460

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 07:14 AM

Beadlescomb
Is there anyissue showing up later in the afternoon, they moved my sons game to 1130 so it would be around 2. Also is it 50 a gun regardless of age?

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 07:36 AM

I'm on my way to Jacksonville FL, sorry I'm gonna miss it again this year guys

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 07:46 AM

Be safe man. The idots will come out of the woodwork now that the forecast is for the whole state to get whacked.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 08:01 AM

Thanks. Good thing AL has CC reciprocity with FL. I'll be more than prepared haha

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Mww460
Beadlescomb
Is there anyissue showing up later in the afternoon, they moved my sons game to 1130 so it would be around 2. Also is it 50 a gun regardless of age?

If your son sits with you then you don't have to pay for him to shoot

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 09:33 AM

Dad saw 125-150 birds this morning. We have never seen more than 30-40 up there in the morning

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 10:14 AM

Quit stealing my birds. laugh
Posted By: Mww460

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 12:33 PM

ok thanks, we will be there, have you given out the address yet, looked threw the thread and didn't see it

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 01:16 PM

11112 vance blocton road vance alabama or havenridge bed and breakfast on Google maps

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 03:54 PM

I can't go brother. I sent you a text.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 06:56 PM

And........it's back on.........for now. No guaranties as my crazy better half may zigzag again.

I'll be there as of this writing.
Posted By: crocker

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 07:39 PM

Beadle, What time you planning to eat and what time to start shooting?
You may have already posted this somewhere.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 08:27 PM

Good luck y'all! Sounds like y'all are gonna have a great hunt! I've got to make it to a aldeer dove shoot one year soon! Your doing a good thing beadle. beers

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
Good luck y'all! Sounds like y'all are gonna have a great hunt! I've got to make it to a aldeer dove shoot one year soon! Your doing a good thing beadle. beers

Man I'm trying it's an expensive frustrating process but I'm hoping we are going to have a lot of fun.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: crocker

I'll be there at 9 ish and I figured we could start eating around 11 and start shooting when everyone gets ready to
Posted By: AC870

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/08/17 11:03 PM

Good luck guys. Post up some pics Beadlescomb.
Posted By: top cat

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 07:15 AM

Yall have agoodun. I'll be in the salt mines.
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:12 AM

Good luck and have fun. Waiting on pics.
Posted By: crocker

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: crocker

I'll be there at 9 ish and I figured we could start eating around 11 and start shooting when everyone gets ready to

Ok. I will be headed down from bham. Let me know if you need me to pick anything up on the way.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:23 AM

Heading out too in a bit

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:31 AM

I'm trying to talk the Mrs. Geno into going to the lake. She's pretty bummed. Are there going to be any wives out there?
Posted By: chasew808

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:52 AM

We are going to head that way around 10
Posted By: Atoler

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:57 AM

We will be there around 11.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:03 AM

Y'all have fun. Sorry I'm gonna miss it, was looking forward to meeting a bunch of y'all

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:12 AM

I'm running late, should be there 10:30 or so.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Geno
I'm trying to talk the Mrs. Geno into going to the lake. She's pretty bummed. Are there going to be any wives out there?

Probably so. The land owner will be here and shes a woman

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:13 AM

Im laying here in my hammock watching doves.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 01:18 PM

Stackum up guys. thumbup
Posted By: bamabuck8or10

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 01:24 PM

Beadle is there a no chigger guarantee over here in this tall grass?

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 02:32 PM

Is it wrong of me to want to shoot those mojos? grin

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: straycat
Is it wrong of me to want to shoot those mojos? grin

They just seem to be flaring the birds
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 05:01 PM

There's only 20 of them.
Posted By: BIG-AL

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 06:09 PM

Had a blast guys. Good to meet some fine folks.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 06:13 PM

My poor wingshooting is showing up. Birds finally flying on the north end, and I'm missing easy shots left and right.

Reno and I are giving the sky heck. grin

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 06:48 PM

Haven't heard a shot all day.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:29 PM

I hate some of y'all left early it got hot and heavy after 5

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: straycat

Reno and I are giving the sky heck. grin

Yea we were grin

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:46 PM

I'm pretty sure big al is trace adkins

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:57 PM

Lol, he is a big ol dude.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Reno

It's bad when I don't come up to the guys shoulder and I'm a pretty big ol boy

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/09/17 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Reno

It's bad when I don't come up to the guys shoulder and I'm a pretty big ol boy

Yea, I felt like a kid next to him
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/10/17 09:21 AM

shucks how you think i felt.

Re: aldeer dove shoot sept 9th - 09/10/17 01:53 PM

It was nice meeting you guys, thanks for getting this together.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM