Aldeer.com

Imitation power line

Posted By: Fatherof2

Imitation power line - 05/12/17 02:33 PM

Have any of you guys experimented with erecting a cable with the sole purpose being a dove perch? I know it sounds crazy, just wondering if any of y'all had attempted this. I was wondering what diameter cable would be ideal? Also, would the direction of the cable make a difference to a migratory bird? Let the laughter begin...
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Imitation power line - 05/12/17 02:45 PM

When have an overhead electric fence wire running several hundred yards across a field, and they use it a ton.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Imitation power line - 05/12/17 02:45 PM

I have thought about the same thing so I guess I am nuts to. Got a neighbor who works at the co op and might could get me old poles. Have also thought about running a line off my existing irrigation to a smalll shallow lined pond with crushed oyster shell or whatever gravel they like
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Imitation power line - 05/12/17 08:06 PM

Not crazy it's a great idea! They will use the heck out of them. I think they actually make fake power lines or trees for doves
Posted By: tikkaman

Re: Imitation power line - 05/12/17 09:07 PM

we left a few trees in our field when we opened it up and made it bigger. I killed a couple with hack and squirt, and they do a great job attracting birds to loaf around.
A fake power line would be a great idea.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Imitation power line - 05/13/17 08:20 PM

It works. We did it years ago in a good spot that all that was missing a wire.
Attached it to a tree on one side and put up a telephone pole on the other.
Posted By: Fatherof2

Re: Imitation power line - 05/14/17 07:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. Those of you that have had success, how high did you run the cable?

JR
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Imitation power line - 05/14/17 08:06 PM

The one we put in was normal height, prob 20 feet. Higher on tree side.
Also had a friend that had a sagging line span at his farm where we shot birds.
That span was only about 10 feet off the ground where it crossed a small rise and that's where all of the birds would light.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Imitation power line - 05/14/17 08:36 PM

I have used a set up with cable or rope, schedule 40 pvc and rebar, It was Put out a few weeks before season on the field. If you are going to leave it longer run some galvanized conduit into the pvc to keep it from bending. It is Portable and makes for a mighty fine cheap wire.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Imitation power line - 05/14/17 08:46 PM

Sounds like way too much trouble to kill a dove.

Dr. B
Posted By: landshark

Re: Imitation power line - 05/21/17 07:41 PM

You can do it and it works pretty dang good. String it up across the middle of the field and plant your strips under and around it. Leave some cover standing within 30 yards of it and have fun.

I've also taken a machete and some conduit and built a small fake tree out in a field then put foam decoys on it with a mojo. I wouldn't dare do it on a shoot with lots of people, though, because it brings the birds on down.
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: Imitation power line - 05/21/17 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
Sounds like way too much trouble to kill a dove.

Dr. B

agreed
© 2024 ALDEER.COM