Aldeer.com

When/ what to plant.

Posted By: toothdoc

When/ what to plant. - 04/16/17 05:48 PM

I have a 2ac pond about 500yds from Neely Henry. I can hear the 🦆 on the big water when I'm deer hunting. What should I plant and when should I plant it to draw some ducks over?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: When/ what to plant. - 04/17/17 03:48 PM

Are you planting the edge of the pond or draining the pond to plant?

Re: When/ what to plant. - 04/17/17 04:51 PM

Planting the edges. I don't have a way to drain it, there is a spillway at the top of the dam. Not sure how deep it is, but pretty deep. It's spring fed, so even when the drought was terrible it only went down several feet. I'll probably be limited to the sides unless the water drops again this year. I would post a video if I could figure out how.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: When/ what to plant. - 04/17/17 08:53 PM

You could possibly put in a flashboard riser to adjust water levels.
Posted By: basspro527

Re: When/ what to plant. - 04/18/17 08:25 AM

I learned alot from watching Habitat Flats on youtube, that guy knows how to create a duck spot.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: When/ what to plant. - 05/04/17 09:32 AM

You need to round up a trash pump. Pump it out and plant Japanese Millet right on the mud. I might stagger the planting. Once it cools off it grows slow. Possibly Won't get enough rain to fill it back up so you will have to adjust how much you pump out. Would be better to have it on a low grade and not very deep. Ducks like about 18 inches. Even better would be to have it close to a water source like a creek or near the river where you could pump it back in.

That's how you do it.

Posted By: Tigger85

Re: When/ what to plant. - 05/04/17 08:26 PM

Best duck pond I've ever seen had a pipe right in the lowest spot so it would drain. They would plant it and right before duck season they would close the pipe and flood the field. You could do that with the pond if you didn't care about fish.

Re: When/ what to plant. - 05/05/17 07:32 AM

The lake is pretty deep by the dam, not sure how deep. Its up on a hill and my neighbor uses a gravity system to siphon water to water his fields during the summer. I may see if I can get some larger siphon going to lower the water a few feet to plant the edges. I'm not sure though. Even during the worts drought in a long time last summer it only went down a few feet.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: When/ what to plant. - 05/07/17 09:19 PM

either manipulate the water and plant a mix of corn and jap millet, or go to guntersville and load your boat up with grass and dump it in. You're in one of the better areas of the state to pull birds, lots of locals in that area. We built a 25 acre lake on my bosses property and it had a lot of grass the first few years before he dumped Carp in it. It was common to see 100+ mallards, gadwall, and wigeon dump into it during January. Plus a few dozen geese. This is right below the neely Henry dam.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM