Aldeer.com

Alabama duck hunting book

Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Alabama duck hunting book - 12/06/16 01:51 PM

I've been wanting this for a while. Finally picked one up. Anxious to read about the olden days of duck hunting in Alabama.

Posted By: bobwallace

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/06/16 01:56 PM

Awesome read. I have read it numerous times and enjoy it every time. It's really cool to learn the history of it. My favorite is the stories about the old Byrd Spring hunting club in South Huntsville.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/06/16 02:24 PM

I got one I'd sell.
Posted By: apoe731

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: AC870
I got one I'd sell.

How much?

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 07:42 PM

It's gone.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 08:41 PM

I know Vic (the author) and encouraged him to get this book finished after he first let me know of his idea for it. He told me about it many years ago, asked a lot of questions and let me take a look at some of it prior to publication. As with any book that would be limited to a region or smaller area, and as with a lot of books in general, this one was a labor of love.

Having grown up here and hunted around here, along with my father and relatives/friends around here, this was sure a good read with solid info and stories.

i can't remember if there is contact info in the book for ordering but if so, I believe Vic still has plenty of them available for sale.

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 09:58 PM

Clem, my favorite parts were reading about Harold Hill's exploits. I knew him later in life and knew he'd been a waterfowl killing machine but had no idea til I read the book.
I enjoyed reading about the guys shooting ducks at night too. There were some stone cold killers in North Alabama back in the day.

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 10:17 PM

Harold was a diehard poacher and outlaw until he changed his ways. Then he basically became an animal rights advocate. When they tried to have the Goosepond Golf Course goose hunt, he was the one who either called or helped with the local PETA chapter. No chit. He definitely went from hunter to outlaw to protector.

Vic, IMO, did a fantastic job of getting the stories and info for the book. Similar to two friends of mine who did a duck book for Arkansas, some of the folks Vic interviewed died after he interviewed them. I'm glad Vic got their stories saved.

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 10:19 PM

It was hard for me to find this one. In fact, it's the only one I could find, the link from the publisher no longer works. Originally they were ~$40, but I paid $70 because I wanted it.

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/07/16 10:24 PM

Holy smokes. Seventy bucks? I have three copies.

I'll try to get in touch with Vic to see if he still has some books if anyone else wants some.
Posted By: apoe731

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 12:32 AM

Clem, I definitely want one if you can get your hands on any.

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 08:33 AM

It's crazy how rare/expensive outdoor books can be. I am still trying to find a copy of Bill Gardner's musky book, Time on the Water, for under $250. As a new paperback, it was probably $15 at most. It became a cult classic and BOOM!
Posted By: brotherhood

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: apoe731

X2!
Posted By: North40R

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: brotherhood

X2!

X3!

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 02:53 PM

I'll try to get in touch with Vic. Last time I talked with him he had a pallet or two in his garage of them. That was a few years ago but I doubt if he has sold all of them. Will let y'all know.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 03:28 PM

Posted By: olcountry

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 05:36 PM

I would like one also
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 06:40 PM

Mostly fish stories. My Father passed Richard Grammer in 1969 under the bridge leaving the boat Harbor over there that morning he drown and said the boat was riding about 2 inches of freeboard and I think it has always bothered him. He said the spot they turned it over he wasn't even out of sight. He pulled some dude out of the river down there with a wetsuit on and saved him and almost died himself out there in the 50's. That river over there is dangerous when it is up in the winter. Just FYI for any of the younger hunters. Treat it with respect.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/08/16 09:18 PM

Same here, it would be cool to have one.
Posted By: pkcole

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/09/16 12:23 PM

X4!
Posted By: rst87

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/09/16 07:06 PM

I would be interested on one depending on $

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/09/16 11:49 PM

Think I just sold one too cheap.
Posted By: landshark

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/15/16 10:39 PM

I'd be interested in one as well.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Alabama duck hunting book - 12/17/16 11:48 AM

I have a signed copy smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM