Aldeer.com

When to plant Brown Top Millet

Posted By: Delta Dave

When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/14/15 01:24 PM

I'm going to try planting a 2 acre field I have in Brown Top Millet for doves this year. I've never planted for dove before so I don't know when I should. If the season starts on Sept 12 when should I plant? Thanks
Posted By: .308

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/14/15 07:07 PM

I always planted 1st of June but no later. I always had plenty of seed for opening day.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/14/15 10:44 PM

^^^ Yup. Early to mid June. Most millet is 60-75 day maturity. You want it dried and ready to cut starting about two weeks prior to the opener.
Posted By: Rock

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/15/15 03:49 AM

Your should check into planting dove pros it puts out a lot more seeds birds all you do Is disk Broadcasts seeds when it matures it puts out a lot more seeds just bush of about half 2 weeks prior to season then the rest about 4 or days before season it will be on like crazy
Posted By: Delta Dave

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/15/15 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: .308
I always planted 1st of June but no later. I always had plenty of seed for opening day.

I can do it this weekend or mid June due to all other weekends being spoken for between. Should I do it now?

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/15/15 11:56 AM

I'd do it Mid-June if it was me. Still going to give you +/-85 days to the opener.
Posted By: .308

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/15/15 03:31 PM

Quote:
I'd do it Mid-June if it was me. Still going to give you +/-85 days to the opener.

That far south it should have plenty of time to mature.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/16/15 05:40 PM

Try this...plant it and let it mature...spray it with 2%roundup...it will br brown and dry in 10 days and let it melt down...put the zero turn to it low as you can stand it or even better burn it...burn it and you will kill the germ on most of it and if it rains it won't sprout. If you just mow it the moisture will affect it....whatever just don't do the whole field at once.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/16/15 06:22 PM

Brown Topis supposed to mature in 60 days. Planting in mid-June would give you mature seed in mid August which would still give you a few weeks to attract birds before opening day.

Of course the absolute best plan might be to plant half now, mow it down in 60 days, and plant the other half in Mid-June and mow it down after 60 days. The longer you give them something to eat, the more birds you'll attract.

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/16/15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: JayHook
Try this...plant it and let it mature...spray it with 2%roundup...it will br brown and dry in 10 days and let it melt down...put the zero turn to it low as you can stand it or even better burn it...burn it and you will kill the germ on most of it and if it rains it won't sprout. If you just mow it the moisture will affect it....whatever just don't do the whole field at once.

We didn't do a burndown prior to cutting last year but plan to this year. I wanted to burn (fire) but we had to much green with competition. Looking forward to seeing how it does this season with a little gly and fire.

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/17/15 03:49 AM

Any one here oo here looking for good dove hunt my name is Jamie sanders I have a shoot every year on opening day I live close to Clanton I usually have 20 shooters at 100.00 a gun no drinking before or during hunt if you have kids under 16 no charge my family has a 40 acre field with 2 old ponds and large PowerLine running through it I have this shoot every year that's how I make my money to plant deer fields not trying to get rich I'm disabled and that's how I pay for my seed and fertilize hunts usually over wear but planting some dove pros this year on half of field.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/17/15 07:32 AM

40 acres isn't going to hold many people. We had about 70 strung out across 150+- acres last year, on the free Aldeer dove hunt..

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/18/15 04:17 AM

Like I said don't need but 20 guns 100.00 a gun it cost money and time to make a good dove shoot I have this shoot every year first come basic you come 3 days before shoot watch the birds pay pick your own spot out and have a great time it is always a good shoot both my neighbors on sides have shoots same day I could get more people but 20 is perfect 20th acres on one side of dirt road 20 acres on the other PowerLine crosses both sigldes
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: When to plant Brown Top Millet - 05/18/15 08:48 PM

Good luck with your shoot. You got a good thing there.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM