Aldeer.com

Bankhead

Posted By: NewHogHunter

Bankhead - 10/22/14 11:33 AM

Totally new to Hog hunting. Going to Bankhead this weekend. Any advice is appreciated and would pay for some actual field guidance. I have been an avid deer hunter for years specifically bow hunting and have always heard about hog hunting. I know Bankhead is huge and turkey hunted over there about 15 years ago so I know a little about the area.

I will be coming through Hartselle on 36 and entering forest from the north end.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: N_AL_Slugger

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 11:45 AM

Don't get discouraged. The Internet will have you believe there is a hog behind every tree there. Not true.

I feel like I got lucky more than anything when I've come upon hogs there.

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Also does anyone know if Weavers in Hartselle will process a hog if I get one??? That is where I take all my deer for processing.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: JT9

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 12:00 PM

Keep your ears open you'll hear them before you lay eyes on them. You'll see sign of them about everywhere but if its not extremely fresh keep trucking they dont hangout

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 12:40 PM

I talked to a lady at the ranger station and she pointed me towards the north part of the forest and stated on the regular forest land (not the wma) that I could carry my AR-15 right now and hunt them. I am looking forward to this!
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 12:59 PM

Gut them as soon as they hit the ground.keep moving and normally you'll hear or smell them before you see them
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 01:59 PM

Best advice I can give is go anywhere but Weavers.
Posted By: brx

Re: Bankhead - 10/22/14 08:45 PM

I've only been once, so I probably shouldn't be giving advice, but in Sipsey part of Bankhead, I was right up on pigs before I saw them. I kept looking way out and assuming I'd hear them. These suckers were silent, even when rooting. So all I'm saying is to take your first trip slow and visually scan near and far.

Re: Bankhead - 10/23/14 04:51 PM

thanks to everyone!
Posted By: longshot

Re: Bankhead - 10/31/14 08:33 AM

Weavers will not process pigs during deer season. I would take one there even if they did. Take to Winters or Luallens.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Bankhead - 10/31/14 07:50 PM

not to hijack, but know some guys in Hsv area that are happy with Weavers. Why not recommended here, and if not there, where in the Black Warrior/Winston Cnty area? And I would specifically like a place that does a good deer baloney
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Bankhead - 10/31/14 08:15 PM

I know for a fact Weavers does not keep your meat separate from everybody else's. LouAllens is top notch.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Bankhead - 11/02/14 12:46 PM

Jerry Smith just south of Falkville at Lacon Trade Day
Posted By: Devildog

Re: Bankhead - 11/02/14 10:15 PM

Didnt get or see any hogs at bankhead but got a big doe
Posted By: bankhead

Re: Bankhead - 11/11/14 12:07 PM

I almost took a deer to weavers but nobody was there to take it so I took it to winters!
Posted By: longshot

Re: Bankhead - 11/19/14 06:40 PM

Winters is top notch... very reasonable prices and good quality. Has always been honest with me. I have sent a few people to him and all have been happy.
And he did a great job on my deer mount also.

Only complaint is he is a Texas A&M fan....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM