Aldeer.com

Baiting and trapping help please

Posted By: chris3954

Baiting and trapping help please - 02/01/14 12:43 PM

I have a club in Winston co that is part of Bankhead national forest/double springs. 300 acres with 3 deer hunters 1 duck hunter and myself. Now that deer/duck season is over I'd like to get as many pigs as possible. My question is can I hunt over bait? Which style trap is best? This is my first time doing this and have zero experience any help would be great!!
Posted By: averyd28

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/03/14 06:18 PM

You can hunt them over bait and at night but you need to get a permit from your local game warden. If the game warden believes your property has enough hog sign; he will be more than happy to write you a permit.
I have found corn mixed with just about anything that smells works good. I typically use corn mixed with menhaden fish oil or just leftover fish guts from the summer’s catch. Some people like to make a corn mash, which typically consist of corn, water, yeast and sugar mix. People will leave it in a concealed barrel and let the corn ferment. It smells awful, so the hogs tend to love it. They also have a sweet tooth; most hogs baits you buy over the counter have a sweet smell. I have found that cool aid mix works well and is also very cheap compared to the hog baits.
Sorry don’t have much experience in the trapping department, I only stock hunt them.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/03/14 08:40 PM

Check out our link above on hog trapping. They cost money but you can't beat the effectiveness of the trap. It will pay for itself in the long run. Will be working up in Limestone County in March. Would be glad to stop in the area and help you out.

Alabama Hog Control.

Barry Estes
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/04/14 07:46 AM

PM me. I'm in your backyard and caught 156 last year.

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/04/14 02:11 PM

Kool aid! That's awesome! Thanks for the info guys. PM sent Matt.
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/04/14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: averyd28
You can hunt them over bait and at night but you need to get a permit from your local game warden. If the game warden believes your property has enough hog sign; he will be more than happy to write you a permit.

And that game warden up your way is a real mean character too. grin

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/04/14 04:31 PM

Should I bring in trail cam pics of the hogs on the property before I go meet him?!?!
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/05/14 06:56 PM

We just called our game warden and he is mailing us our permit just like last year.
Posted By: averyd28

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/06/14 10:56 PM

We have never had to show pics
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/07/14 06:22 PM

Game warden showed up in person with the permit today, he and his boss did a brief look around and pointed out numerous hog trails to my dad. He handed the permit over with no problems.

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/20/14 02:19 PM

Ok got the legal stuff done. Also today I bought a 30 gallon feeder, hog kill zone light, solar charger...any tips on how to keep the coons from climbing/eating all my corn kool aid mix? I don't wana add diesel to the corn ( just don't wana eat somthing that's eating diesel)

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/20/14 02:25 PM

Buy you about 3 coon cuff traps and keep them caught out.

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/20/14 03:04 PM

That's a great idea thanks bro!
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 02/20/14 10:44 PM

We never had to have one come out either. Been getting one for the past five years. I just call the office and give them all the info and within a day or so, we are good to go.
Posted By: freestate

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 03/04/14 05:09 PM

IF you rub some motor oil on the legs of the feeder it will keep the coons off for a couple of weeks if it doesn't rain much.
Posted By: glenncmp

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 03/05/14 08:27 AM

Just make sure its anchored good.. hogs will rub all against these legs if you put motor oil on em
Posted By: Hogdogger37

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 04/18/14 10:32 PM

Hogs are gonna tear down a tripod feeder, best way ive had luck is to get some posthole diggers and dig a hole abt 3ft deep, fill with corn and put some koolaid on top, hogs will never eat it all at once like they do at feeders, they will keep rooting for more corn, can make a bag of corn last a long time.. another thing thats pbrly better than corn is to get some burlap bags and soak them in used motor oil and wrap and fasten arnd a big tree, hogs love oil cause it keeps flys,lice and ticks off of em.. Just trying to help ya out, ive been catching hogs all my life and tried dozens of things and this is the best way i have found.. good luck!!

Re: Baiting and trapping help please - 04/19/14 10:47 AM

We don't have any problem with them tearing down our feeders. We cut t=posts in half and stake the legs down. Drive a post by each leg and tie it off with wire. No problem then.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM