Aldeer.com

Help getting started

Posted By: Gut Pile 32

Help getting started - 04/27/22 04:38 PM

So I’ve started having problems with pigs on 2 of my properties. Both properties are about 3/4 of a mile from the river and I’ve never had an issue other than a random straggler here and there. I know on one theres 2-3 different groups anywhere from 7-16 a group. Not sure about the other but had one group of 12 run up on me a few weeks ago. I know that trapping them is the best way to go about it but I’ve never had any experience with this. What’s the best trap? Are the ones with the net worth the 2k? I thought about trying to find someone to come in and trap for me but I figure this will be a recurring problem so it’ll probably be best to get my own setup
Posted By: hammerhead

Re: Help getting started - 04/27/22 07:56 PM

Don't know where you are in Alabama but if you're in LA, you might want to check this program out...
[Linked Image]

Re: Help getting started - 04/27/22 08:14 PM

I wish I was closer but I’m in Lamar county
Posted By: k bush

Re: Help getting started - 04/28/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gut Pile 32
So I’ve started having problems with pigs on 2 of my properties. Both properties are about 3/4 of a mile from the river and I’ve never had an issue other than a random straggler here and there. I know on one theres 2-3 different groups anywhere from 7-16 a group. Not sure about the other but had one group of 12 run up on me a few weeks ago. I know that trapping them is the best way to go about it but I’ve never had any experience with this. What’s the best trap? Are the ones with the net worth the 2k? I thought about trying to find someone to come in and trap for me but I figure this will be a recurring problem so it’ll probably be best to get my own setup

As far as the Pig Brig being worth the $2K, I've caught 167 this year and >>75% are in the net. Cheaper, but not as effective is livestock panels/t-posts in a figure 6 configuration. I'd avoid the old style closed top box traps at all costs.

Re: Help getting started - 04/28/22 01:59 AM

I’ve been looking into the cattle panel style just because I only have 4-5 Sounders max right now. I’m having a hard time talking myself into the 2k not knowing if I’ll need it very much after these groups get gone
Posted By: PYhunter

Re: Help getting started - 04/28/22 03:00 AM

How close are you to where you would be trapping?
Our lease was infested with hogs when we got it. Since we live an hour and a half away, we needed a trap that we could drop when it is convenient for us to go down and take care of business. We decided to buy the Jager Pro with the panels. We run the Jager Pro cameras and watch them carefully till we're sure they are all in the trap before we drop the gate. The panels make it very easy to move, no T-posts to drive. We prebait a spot and set up a feeder then watch it till they're hitting it good then set the trap up. Typically takes an hour or so to set it up. We ran the trap from March till September in 2019 and caught 112. Didnt see another hog till this January when a lone boar showed up at a feeder several nights. Madeva tremendous difference in the deer hunting after getting rid of them.

Re: Help getting started - 04/28/22 03:36 AM

One of the places is aboit 500 yards from my house and the other is 7-8 minutes gown the road so I’m close to them
Posted By: PYhunter

Re: Help getting started - 04/28/22 12:56 PM

Heck, that Pig Brig should be perfect for you. Well worth the cost to get rid of them efficiently. Once you get them off your property you could hang on to the trap for a while and see if any more show up. Good luck getting rid of them!
Posted By: square

Re: Help getting started - 05/04/22 12:57 AM

Google Hawg Stopper traps
Posted By: Spec

Re: Help getting started - 05/05/22 04:47 PM

Pig Brig hands down. The thing is you will eliminate them off your property quick but they will be back. We trapped close to 100 in 2021 and very rarely see tracks until about a month ago when the river came up and now I’ve got a few to catch. I have caught the entire sounder every time I’ve set the trap. I like it because I’d don’t have to babysit it and drop it. The brig will continue to catch all night until you check it. Just put a bunch of corn in there the night you set it.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Help getting started - 05/06/22 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by square
Google Hawg Stopper traps

Awful design. Closed top = more likely injured deer. Single catch.

Just some panels and t-posts would be better.
Posted By: Wildboar14

Re: Help getting started - 05/07/22 10:54 PM

Gut pile check with Matthew Byars and Mike Franklin. There from lamar county and might help you out. On the other hand I’ve got a buddy that has some dogs. We can come kill them for you if you’d like. Just pm me if you need any assistance.
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Help getting started - 05/08/22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gut Pile 32
I wish I was closer but I’m in Lamar county

Close to sulligent?
Posted By: square

Re: Help getting started - 05/08/22 06:16 PM

Hawg Stopper works better than a lot on the market

Re: Help getting started - 05/09/22 12:10 PM

I’m about 10 minutes from sulligent in Beaverton
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Help getting started - 05/11/22 02:46 AM

Gut Pile I’m sending you a PM.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Help getting started - 05/11/22 03:02 AM

Mind if a fella puts a dog on em in the summer months?

Re: Help getting started - 05/11/22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life
Mind if a fella puts a dog on em in the summer months?

Man I wouldn’t mind at all but I don’t really have enough land where they are. I would have to get a couple neighbors on board to do that

Re: Help getting started - 05/11/22 04:28 PM

Pm to you ridge life
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Help getting started - 05/11/22 10:36 PM

Holler at me. I’ll be at church from6-7:30

Re: Help getting started - 05/13/22 11:16 AM

Only place I’ve ever seen hogs down there is just coming into sulligent off 35 where the big creek is
Posted By: Wildboar14

Re: Help getting started - 05/14/22 01:32 AM

That whole bottom from Beaverton to the Mississippi line is slap full of pigs

Re: Help getting started - 05/23/22 10:27 PM

Some big jokers too from the ones I’ve killed and seen
© 2024 ALDEER.COM