Aldeer.com

Hog problem in the making or passing through?

Posted By: sbo1971

Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/25/21 10:02 PM

This past Sunday I had hogs show up for the first time in years. Aug.2012 through March 2013 I had a group of about 12 boars that stayed in the area until I left the last hog that I killed laying by the bait pile. Aug. 2016 there was a group of 8 boars that showed up on my trail camera for one afternoon and then no more. This time I have 4 hogs, one is a sow with two juveniles that go where she goes, the fourth is the biggest and comes out last but I can’t tell if it’s a boar or another sow.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/26/21 06:31 PM

Sow is probably pregnant. If she's got access to feed, she will most likely set up shop if your place is a good area to raise a litter in. If she's pregnant, which there is a 98% chance she is, you're somewhere between 0 and 115 days from your 4 pig population increasing by 300% or more and another 8-12 mouths. Kill them now and if I've got a choice to make, I will always shoot the sows before I shoot the boars.

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/26/21 08:51 PM

That’s what I was afraid of, I killed a sow Tuesday afternoon and going back out there this afternoon.
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/27/21 02:18 AM

If their on your property its a problem. They need to be evicting as soon as possible.

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/27/21 01:32 PM

I tried again yesterday afternoon but they wouldn’t step out into the open. Dang thing acted like it knew I was there but not sure where, it would come to the edge of a 12 yr old cutover snorting and occasionally grunting and stand there before spooking. The wind was in my favor but it was cooling down so I think the thermals got me busted. It would come back every 30 mins or so at a different location and do the same thing, snorting like a deer more than grunting, every time the deer and everything else would take off as soon as they heard it coming. The last time it came to the edge I swear it got mad, it grunted and clicked its teeth multiple times and then growled 3-4 times as it walked off.

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/28/21 06:49 PM

It goes Sow N heat and put it out there. It will piss a female off because its a new sow in her area and make a boar go nuts lol.

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/29/21 08:49 PM

Ok thanks I’ll give it a try.

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/30/21 01:25 AM

Ya gotta love it when things fall into place! So this afternoon after the downpour I decided to head out to the stand to see if I could get a shot on one the remaining hogs, I got within 80 yds of my stand and they are already there. I stalked to within 70 yds of the hogs and dropped the sow with her two young uns running off. I wait to see if they were going to come back out when my wife texted me surprised at how soon she had heard me shoot. As soon as I go to respond to my wife they come out to check on momma so I tried to put a shot through one hoping it would catch the other one as well since they were side by side but don’t think I hit anything. They are probably too young to stand up against the pack of coyotes we have around here but I’ll keep a eye out for them.

Re: Hog problem in the making or passing through? - 08/30/21 01:50 AM

Congratulations on getting the job done.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM