Aldeer.com

Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes

Posted By: Sakkyoku

Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/24/21 03:15 PM

https://abc3340.com/news/local/nighttime-hunting-of-certain-animals-now-legal-in-alabama

I wonder what the season dates will be. Would be nice if they overlapped with deer season and I could just wait in the stands till legal deer light is over and flip on the green light for hogs.
Posted By: Spec

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/24/21 04:07 PM

Surprise another license to buy
Posted By: James

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/24/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sakkyoku
https://abc3340.com/news/local/nighttime-hunting-of-certain-animals-now-legal-in-alabama

I wonder what the season dates will be. Would be nice if they overlapped with deer season and I could just wait in the stands till legal deer light is over and flip on the green light for hogs.

Dunno how that will work out if you're feeding.
Posted By: James

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/24/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spec
Surprise another license to buy

Yep
Posted By: blade

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/25/21 01:04 AM

I’m looking for the regulation but only can find the little snippet article.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/25/21 02:57 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/25/21 03:04 AM

I am not about have to buy a license to eradicate animals of that nature. I might even continue using my AR 14. If I can ever find it. Dragged that part of the river 3 times and still can’t find it!!
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/26/21 11:23 PM

There goes the prices of night scopes
Posted By: Tree327

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/30/21 01:22 PM

From what I have read, the current system of the depredation permits for night hunting (agricultural damage permits whatever you want to call them) stays in effect. The landowner can still get the free permit from DCNR and list friends, family, delegates etc.

So, if you do not want to buy the license; one can still have your club or landowner get the permit.

I'm curious to see if you can night hunt during deer season; which is currently not allowed as the nuisance control permits run from end of turkey season to Aug 31.

Regards,

Tree
Posted By: StateLine

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 04/30/21 01:27 PM

I just received an email from ADCN....

Chuck Sykes, WFF Director, said the 2021 season for hunting feral swine and coyotes at night will likely start on July 1 and run until November 1. In 2022 and beyond, Sykes said the nighttime season will likely start on February 11 and run until November 1.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 05/17/21 06:23 PM

Armadillos need to be on the list, also. I view it as a positive step.
Posted By: Michael256

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 05/31/21 05:07 PM

This was the step that lead to me finally buying my thermal. I've always wanted one but since I'm not well connected to land owners with depred permits, I couldn't use one. I finally can now. I've got the place to hunt coyotes now, hoping to find a few farmers with hogs too.

My only possible mess up is I bought the 4.5x base mag, and it looks great, but if I run out of cutovers and start trying to call coyotes in the woods, I'm probably going to need a handheld scanner. I might should have gotten the 2x for better FOV.

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 06/04/21 01:53 PM

I do run a 0-2x clip-on, that doubles as a scanner and clips in front of my day scope (lpv trijicon) for shooting. I have an IR scope that’s passable for some stuff, but a lower end thermal is better than a lower end NVD. NVDs will disappoint until you get into the higher end realm. Most stuff has too much magnification for typical night stuff. Sure, you could use some Xs for the occasional long stuff, but inside 150 and moving, that 0-2x is VERY handy. I’ve got to decide what to buy for ‘my own’ now, as this current thermal setup is a loaned ‘test rig’, that I’ll have to return at some point soon. I’ve got plenty of places that need my coyote, armadillo, and beaver thinning….but no hog issues yet. I just wish they’d have created an ‘outlaw quadruped’ list, and removed regs/restrictions for fair chase on them all…..similar to Texas and LA.

FWIW: My personal experience with NV is that a thermal you can scan with (off rifle) is used 90% of the time, vs a weapon sight, when hunting at night. You’ll spend far more time behind a good scanner/viewer than your sight…..so it’s $ well spent. You can shoot stuff with most any cheap thermal sight. Range and sensitivity are more important on your viewer….at least until you start shooting lots of movers, where refresh rate comes in.
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 07/12/21 06:07 PM

Has anyone purchased the night hunting license yet?

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 07/13/21 01:48 AM

Yep….
Easy button for coyotes on any land you have permission…..doesn’t require any land owner effort. They did change the dates to end at end of September. Biologist told me they were going to ‘reevaluate the season dates and effectiveness’ at that time. Whatever.
Posted By: Highlander

Re: Nighttime hunting pigs and coyotes - 07/13/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX
Yep….
Easy button for coyotes on any land you have permission…..doesn’t require any land owner effort. They did change the dates to end at end of September. Biologist told me they were going to ‘reevaluate the season dates and effectiveness’ at that time. Whatever.

I just need to find a place to set up now and ring their bells.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM