Aldeer.com

Hunting Lights Green/Red

Posted By: RandyC

Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/16/21 02:07 AM

Anyone have an opinion on either of these for hog hunting after dark?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ1DCBY/?tag=thegunzone-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C0W0TAQ/?tag=thegunzone-20&th=1
Posted By: Jason Carroll

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/16/21 03:23 AM

I have the elusive. It works good. I'd say I'm good out to 150 yards. I also have a red light that I think works better...
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/16/21 03:56 AM

Don't be fooled. The exact same lights can be bought for under $25. They package them up and have the Chinese company print their name on it. The kits with different names are all over Amazon/E-bay. I have the same light as the elusive above and it is a very good light. Tight center beam with enough overflow to track a critter. It has another name on it and cost $22 when I bought it less than a year ago. The batteries they include in the kits are typically crap also. Get your light, the light mount you need, a charger and two GOOD 18650 batteries (Tenergy or Panasonic) for about $40-$50

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/17/21 10:18 PM

Thanks guys...appreciate the feedback
Posted By: rebelpiper

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/22/21 04:52 AM

I bought one off of amazon this week..Ill let you know how it works after this weekend.

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/23/21 11:07 PM

Looking forward to hearing about it!
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 01/29/21 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rebelpiper
I bought one off of amazon this week..Ill let you know how it works after this weekend.

popcorn
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 02/02/21 05:29 PM

Following

What is ya’lls experience with red vs green light color. Also if combined with a laser sight is there advantage to same color laser or red laser with green light or the opposite? Thanks
Posted By: Tree327

Re: Hunting Lights Green/Red - 02/15/21 05:38 PM

Red vs Green

I've been night hunting hogs for several years now in Texas and Alabama. I've killed as many as 17 in one night with good light employment and spooked the hogs right off the feeder or out of the field with bad lights.

First, keep your light covered with a glove, or a lense cover (a basic butler creek flip up lense cover works pretty good.) Light lenses collect condensation at night easily and can interfere with your beam. Always pack a spare battery.

If you have to pick one: I would go with red if you have good night eyesight. If your night eyesight is not all that great then green as it is usally a stronger visual light.

Here are my experiences with red vs green and here is how I use my light.

Predator Tactics made my light called the Nightmare. This light has 4 LEDs built in and swith with the press of a button, White, Red, Green and Blue. This light is variable focus and has a variable intensity controller.

I also use the provided colimnator attachment (sun sleeve looking thing).

Hogs can have a wide variety of sensitivity to lights. Are you using feeders with lights? Are the hogs used to being lit up by a green or red light?

In a scenario where I'm camped out on the side of a hay field, peanut field or property just shooting into the dark:
I usually start with Red on a low intensity and wide focus, even on the lowest intensity and the widest focus the hogs' eyes light up pretty easily. Once I see eye reflection I will slowly ramp up the intensity and beam focus until I have good visual on target. Now this intensity technique works when using the green light as well.

Once you start shooting and if you have time in the moment immediately go full brightness.

Another technique I have found to work sometimes is to start the light off the hogs and slowly pan onto the hogs from the left or the right. I don't know why this works sometimes but I've seen a group of hogs under a feeder spook out from under the feeder if I just spotlighted them. I immediately turn off the light... a minute or two later the hogs are back under the feeder, and I turned on the light aimed off to the side of the feeder/bait pile and slowly panned onto the hogs and bam,..... hog down.

Hogs that are not used to lights (feeder lights, field blinder lights etc) can spook when spotlighted directly. How ever the variable intensity lights help with this challenge.

As far as feeder lights or blindsider lights, I always go green. The hogs get used to the light (red or green) but makes using the brighter green rifle light a moot point. The green light is a stronger color light to the human eye and can give you some sharpness in your optics that hunting red does not.

So, the closer the range, the more I lean towards Red lights, the further the range the more I lean towards green.

Feeder lights always green and use green rifle lights......... NEVER Mix lights green feeder or blinder light = green rifle light.... red & red.

The other thing I use, and I highly recommend this, illuminated reticles. I use Nikko Stirling Panamax 50mm 3-9 and 4-12 the illumninated reticle is green or red with variable brightness.

Green laser experience:
Bought a 40$ laser off ebay, and fooled around with it a couple times.

I have used the laser when I have hunted from the ground at close range with hogs (now thats a rush), hiding in a goose style straw ground blind 30 yards from hogs with a Mossberg automatic with 9 rounds..... just be careful of your feeder. I've also used the laser to shine on the pigs from a range of about 85 yards. No affects noted, didn't spook em etc....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM