Aldeer.com

Hog reproduction rate

Posted By: k bush

Hog reproduction rate - 01/15/21 04:11 PM

Has anyone found a reliable figure that removing X hogs is like removing Xxx hogs over a year ?

Say if it was a factor of 10, then removing 25 would equal 250 over a year factoring in reproduction. Averaged across boars and sows, I think 10 is a good estimate. Big sows are going to have 2 litters per year and the first litter females could potentially breed once in the same year.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/15/21 06:26 PM

They say three one boar and two sows could possibly turn into 100 in a year.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/16/21 12:16 AM

The last conference I listened to said we need to kill 70% of the sounder to break even every year
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/16/21 06:20 PM

A sow will have 2 litters per year 99.7% of those litters for wild hogs will consist of 5 pigs.
A sow will breed the first time at 6 months old. Gestation is 114 days
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/16/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
They say three one boar and two sows could possibly turn into 100 in a year.

Not really possible 2 sows and one boar would produce on average about 70 if all pigs born in that year were female, that won’t happen.

2 sows would have a total of 20 in a year, the first litter of 10 if it were all female would produce a litter each for a total of 50
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/17/21 12:59 AM

There isn’t a good solid reliable number. In my experience 4-6 is the norm for us.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/17/21 02:01 AM

So Maybe 7x the number of hogs ? Just trying to find a way to SWAG a number of potential hogs.
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/17/21 05:31 PM

They reproduce almost as fast as democrats, yet do not destroy near about as much.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...pletely-eliminate-wild-hogs-from-an-area

just a small read.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/24/21 09:17 PM

If they will drop a litter of 12. 13 will survive.
Posted By: blade

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/25/21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by TexasNative
If they will drop a litter of 12. 13 will survive.

At least 13
Posted By: CNC

Re: Hog reproduction rate - 01/28/21 12:14 AM

I would think part of it depends on the soil productivity and habitat management......Some of the worst hog sign I've seen is around Fitzpatrick where the pig problem starts hitting prairie soil.....They are taking them off a few properties in crazy numbers.....I would imagine the reproduction rate of those hogs is a little better than the average.....Just a guess though
© 2024 ALDEER.COM