Aldeer.com

green dot vs. red

Posted By: Davyalabama

green dot vs. red - 01/13/21 05:00 PM

What do you all use? About to pull the trigger on a 6.5 grendel and will put a scope on it. I've read a bunch of reviews, and a lot seem to like the green over the red, because the red spooks the hogs.
Posted By: gman

Re: green dot vs. red - 01/14/21 09:24 PM

I'm confused. The hogs see the little red dot in the scope and it spooks them? Crimeny, maybe that's why i can't shoot a turkey is they're seeing the red dot in my turkey gun scope. I've only shot 1 hog with my red dot, but didn't none of the 6 in line act like they saw it.
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: green dot vs. red - 01/15/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by gman
I'm confused. The hogs see the little red dot in the scope and it spooks them? Crimeny, maybe that's why i can't shoot a turkey is they're seeing the red dot in my turkey gun scope. I've only shot 1 hog with my red dot, but didn't none of the 6 in line act like they saw it.

What he said, how do they see the red or green dot? If you are trying to use a system that projects a light, than that is not legal in Alabama.

Prohibited Methods of Hunting - # 22 in the rules and regs; Hunt using laser sights, attachments and light sources to project a beam forward of a gun or bow, except for legally blind hunters. (22-2-.11)
Posted By: k bush

Re: green dot vs. red - 01/15/21 04:06 PM

I think the red/green argument is centered around gun/shooting lights. I have a green LED with a magnetic base the mounts on the hood of my truck for driving around. Does not seem to spook pigs from what I have found.
Posted By: Tree327

Re: green dot vs. red - 02/15/21 05:57 PM

Nikko Stirling Panamax has illuminated reticle scopes, and the color is selectable by a turret for red or green
Posted By: Mdees

Re: green dot vs. red - 02/23/21 03:13 AM

You can use a green light legally with a depredation permit in the off season.
Originally Posted by Groundhawg
Originally Posted by gman

What he said, how do they see the red or green dot? If you are trying to use a system that projects a light, than that is not legal in Alabama.

Prohibited Methods of Hunting - # 22 in the rules and regs; Hunt using laser sights, attachments and light sources to project a beam forward of a gun or bow, except for legally blind hunters. (22-2-.11)

I prefer a red dot over green for most uses. I find I can lose a green reticle in foliage off target. I do not like a green reticle with a green light either except with my night vision optic.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM