Aldeer.com

Figure c hog trap

Posted By: dagwood

Figure c hog trap - 12/18/20 04:00 PM

We just got hogs on our property after hurricane salley. I researched these figure c traps and looks like I might want to try one. Anybody use these and have advice.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Figure c hog trap - 12/24/20 05:17 PM

I have had several clients use them in the past. You can dang sure catch pigs in them but....you are not likely to catch the entire sounder and that is your real goal. Every time you catch "most" of the sounder, you educate the rest and that makes them more difficult to catch.

I can normally catch a sounder that has been prebaited in 2-4 days. If I am coming in on a place that has used box traps for years, it may take me as much as a couple of weeks to catch the entire sounder. Those old sows get smart. They will keep their little ones away from the trap.

I am trapping a property near Camden right now. The landowner has used box traps for years. Dang those old sows are sharp. I have a sounder of 47 I am trying to catch. The trap has been out for 2 days and nothing yet. I am hoping for a BIG catch Christmas Gift but it will probably take longer.

Prebaiting is key. I would feed them in the same location and put a game camera to watch them. When they get locked in on that spot, put up the trap early in the morning and keep the scent to a minimum. Don't count on the pigs pushing through.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Figure c hog trap - 12/26/20 01:56 PM

Call elkhunter (barry) and buy a jager pro from him. I have caught every group that has shown up on our farm for the last 3 years. 126 have been trapped and the trap has worked flawlessly every time.
Posted By: billrv

Re: Figure c hog trap - 12/27/20 01:11 PM

Dagwood i believe you are in the same general area as we are, these hogs are extremely trap weary. The farmers have educated them well trying to trap them for years. We will catch one at a time every now and then but kill a lot more baiting and or hunting them. They always get thick this time of the year since they have wiped out the corn and peanuts left after harvest.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM