Aldeer.com

Rimfire

Posted By: Floridajew

Rimfire - 05/09/20 12:03 PM

Anyone on here use a 17hmr or 22 mag to hog hunt with?
Posted By: Stob

Re: Rimfire - 05/09/20 01:22 PM

22 mag here. Havent been lucky enough to see the results however.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Rimfire - 05/09/20 02:36 PM

I use a .22 mag or .22 lr with good results.

I have never shot a hog with a .17 hmr so I can’t compare it but I’m sure it would be just as good

Re: Rimfire - 05/09/20 03:57 PM

If it weren't for predators I could just about hunt hogs exclusively.

Re: Rimfire - 05/09/20 06:08 PM

I got a hog hunting heaven at my lease they've drove all deer off at least the decent sized ones
Posted By: JayHook2

Re: Rimfire - 05/10/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Floridajew
I got a hog hunting heaven at my lease they've drove all deer off at least the decent sized ones

You meant hog hunting HELL...

Re: Rimfire - 05/10/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JayHook2

Yeah they are more trouble than their worth destroy everything ran all dam deer off.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Rimfire - 05/11/20 03:15 PM

never used a 22 mag or a 17, but I have killed a bunch of hogs with a .22lr hollow point to the ear hole
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Rimfire - 05/14/20 08:37 PM

Been hoping someone would put a Barnes TTSX in a 17WSM. wink
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Rimfire - 05/14/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
22 mag here. Havent been lucky enough to see the results however.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Rimfire - 05/15/20 10:26 AM

If im hunting hogs I use a 17 wsm and if im trapping them then its a 22 LR
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Rimfire - 05/16/20 01:56 PM

...if somebody would please invent the .22 WSM it would be great. Winchester, I'm looking at you crazy
Posted By: gman

Re: Rimfire - 05/18/20 03:06 PM

Had one jump outta the trap last week with 3 22lr rounds in it's head. shocked
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Rimfire - 05/18/20 06:07 PM

Now known as ole bullet haid

Re: Rimfire - 05/20/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by trailertrash
...if somebody would please invent the .22 WSM it would be great. Winchester, I'm looking at you crazy

Yes, Please. I've even sent emails to Ruger and Hornady.

Re: Rimfire - 05/25/20 05:57 PM

That would be badass but close we will get to it is 22 hornet.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Rimfire - 05/28/20 06:04 PM

I have killed truck loads with a 17hmr with 20grn hollow points and 17grn bt. I always shootem right at the base of the ear duagonally from the eyeball. Never seen one do nothin but hit the dirt an flop. I skinned ones head i shot ant tje wound channel through the back of the skull was about the size of a golf ball....good medicine for them
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Rimfire - 05/29/20 03:28 PM

That would be badass but close we will get to it is 22 hornet.

I think the gunmakers/ammo companies dont realize there is such a niche market for a powerful rimfire cartridge like a 22 WSM. Alabama isnt the only state that limits small game season hog hunting to rimfire only on its WMA's. I dont think it would ever be a mass market hit, but it would have to be at least as successful as the 17wsm?
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Rimfire - 06/02/20 05:42 PM

You know...they used to make a big rimfire..5mm...i think one or two companies still make ammo...but its hard to come by..findin a 5mm gun is hard too....ive only ever seen one. I may be wrong, but..i think its been like 40 years since they made one...i may be confused tho.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Rimfire - 06/10/20 04:27 PM

I think the Remington Rifles were models 591 and a 592. circa about 1970 as I remember. You can still get one floating around on Gunbroker or at a gun show. TC Contender barrels are also floating around and yes I think someone is making ammo for them again.

Re: Rimfire - 06/10/20 06:13 PM

I've looked at ammo for 5mm and I think all I could find was 30gr.,,,,little light for me needs.
Posted By: RUGRAT45

Re: Rimfire - 06/19/20 10:30 PM

I killed 17 one evening a couple of years ago with a 22 mag. They kept coming and I kept shooting. By buddy ask me if that was me shooting. When I told him yes, he asked me, “ Do I need to go back to camp and get you some more bullets ? “ I like to fell out of the stand laughing so hard. Laid them out like damn-it.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Rimfire - 07/02/20 12:36 AM

I've used 22 mag in the past. I found some air force fmj rounds that did as well as any. In the ear hole, eye hole or up the snoot if they're looking right at you trying to dope the wind.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Rimfire - 07/15/20 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by JayHook2

I'll walk past deer to shoot wild hogs...the meat is way better, to me!
Posted By: NutterBuster

Re: Rimfire - 08/13/20 01:08 AM

If you wanna learn all you need to know about .22wmr and hogs, go on the GON forum and search for posts containing the word "hog" by "huntinonthefly". The late Glen Solomon killed many pigs with shoulder shots and a solid 40 or 50 grain .22 mag bullet. I have had inconsistent results with head shots, but have killed them reliably in the shoulder. Easier to put a bullet in something important there.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Rimfire - 08/13/20 01:52 AM

I've killed enough with a .22lr with match ammo to fill a tractor trailer not trapped hogs. Slipping up on them on the Corp land I've shot them behind the shoulder and had pass thrus on 80lb pigs
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Rimfire - 08/13/20 03:11 AM

I have the Remington 591 model. Aguila and Centurion still make the 5mm ammo in a 30 gr hollow point.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM