Aldeer.com

Hog poison

Posted By: timbercruiser

Hog poison - 01/02/20 01:45 PM

Several months ago there was talk about a new poison that they were trying to get approved for the elimination of hogs. Is there any new information about his stuff and what states it is approved in?
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Hog poison - 01/02/20 08:12 PM

I don’t know if it’s the same stuff but one poison got shut down due to killing song birds.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hog poison - 01/03/20 02:51 PM

Sodium nitrite was the poison i believe because of its high lethal dose rate to swine. I dont think it was ever approved for use here, but tested in a controlled environment in a few select places in other states...and im not a hundred percent sure if it ever happened. I know they were gonna test it in texas but public backlash had stalled it due to the hunters out there making money off hog hunts..so they dont want them gone..they want more pigs. I know one of the boys who was working on development of a distribution method via a special feeder. We had a lengthy thread on here about it probly a year or more ago..search it.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Hog poison - 01/12/20 02:53 AM

It was banned due to lack of targeted animal control, the death of numerous non-target animals including mammals, birds and fish and the slow rate of death to the hogs.
And, was proven ineffective due to that last one. Once a hog got sick from a non-lethal dose and recovered, they would never visit the bait site again. And, due to their intelligence and social hierarchy, the others quickly learned to avoid the bait from the one.

It was tested extensively in TX as well as here in AL.

And, I am sure there is something else being developed and tested again now.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Hog poison - 01/12/20 05:05 AM

Maybe a well placed shot to the ear hole or a sharp knife while a bulldog has him by the ear.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hog poison - 01/12/20 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hogwild
It was banned due to lack of targeted animal control, the death of numerous non-target animals including mammals, birds and fish and the slow rate of death to the hogs.
And, was proven ineffective due to that last one. Once a hog got sick from a non-lethal dose and recovered, they would never visit the bait site again. And, due to their intelligence and social hierarchy, the others quickly learned to avoid the bait from the one.

It was tested extensively in TX as well as here in AL.

And, I am sure there is something else being developed and tested again now.

i had not looked into it much more than when it was just being discussed..seems like 2017 or so. Id like to read more about it hogwild..do you you have a link or something we could study up on?
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Hog poison - 01/13/20 02:44 AM

There is plenty on the internet about it. Mostly from TX where it was inappropriately legalized temporarily and then banned before it actually became commercially available.
Also, the stipulations around who could buy it and the required disposal methods pretty much guaranteed Black Market Sales and illegal dumping had it become available.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM