Aldeer.com

Two more boiled out and a ?

Posted By: BayedUp

Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 01:52 AM

Boiled out 2 more this evening after all the Mother’s Day festivities was over with. I normally just boil them out and hang them in shed or at the dog kennels so I never really worried about getting them really white but I’m gonna put these in my trophy room so I need some info on what is the best way to whiten them up... Let me know what you fellas that do European Mounts use to whiten them up....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 02:08 AM

Go to Sally’s beauty supply and buy the strongest peroxide gel you can buy without a license. Paint it on pretty thick (wear gloves it will bleach u like Michael Jackson) and set in the sun for a day. Wash off and let dry

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 02:10 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 02:17 AM

Thanks for the info
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 11:26 AM

Very cool. I have gotten to where I prefer the european mounts for deer.
Posted By: James

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 11:45 AM

Soak em in a container or ice chest filled with peroxide.
Posted By: jwal

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 01:13 PM

I would boil them again for about 30 minutes in water with Dawn dishwashing detergent in it. Hog heads are harder to bleach than deer heads because of the fat content in pork. The Dawn will remove most of the grease and make them much easier to bleach.

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jwal
I would boil them again for about 30 minutes in water with Dawn dishwashing detergent in it. Hog heads are harder to bleach than deer heads because of the fat content in pork. The Dawn will remove most of the grease and make them much easier to bleach.

This will help a little as well. I always put dawn and sodium bicarbonate in my water when simmering heads(pigs or deer)
Posted By: Stob

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by OlTimer
Very cool. I have gotten to where I prefer the european mounts for deer.

yep.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/13/19 09:06 PM

Skullworks did an awesome write up for euro mounts. Then Photobucket had to screw up all the pictures.

edit........ well I'll be. Skullworks write up
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/14/19 01:02 AM

The only hog I’ve ever done was a pain to degrease. I started by leaving the skull in dawn and water in a bucket to degrease and i would change out the water every few days. This drug on for 2 weeks or so and it wasn’t degreasing well. I ended up getting the 40% peroxide cream from Sally’s beauty supply and putting a 32 oz container of it in my boiler and then put the skull in and covered with water. I let it simmer for 30 or 45 minutes and it decreased the heck out of it and made it a beautiful white. It’s been that way for probably 2 years and has not greased up at all. Doing a hog skull is wayyyyyyyy different than a deer head in regards to degreasing.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/14/19 02:29 AM

Do ya'll have any problem with the tush splitting after they dry for a few years or do ya'll fill them with good glue?
Posted By: gman

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/14/19 06:48 PM

Not to derail, but what are the holes in those skulls? Two between the eyes and 5 down the side of the lower jaw...i assume there's 5 on the other side? Glands?
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/14/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by gman
Not to derail, but what are the holes in those skulls? Two between the eyes and 5 down the side of the lower jaw...i assume there's 5 on the other side? Glands?

Those are called foramen, they are the holes where bundles of nerves and/or blood vessels come through the bone
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Two more boiled out and a ? - 05/14/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Do ya'll have any problem with the tush splitting after they dry for a few years or do ya'll fill them with good glue?

They will split if not filled. I used epoxy to fill mine.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM