Aldeer.com

Most cost/time efficient method of hog control

Posted By: ALFisher

Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 04/29/19 05:30 PM

I think I've finally got a big enough problem to do something about it, but not exactly sure how to go about it. I've read up a good bit on the subject, but found very little that I could actually do on a regular basis, besides hunt them at night or check traps. Problem with traps is that while I have time to set them up and check them, it appears that a regular catch pen without all the fancy cell phone stuff, etc. isn't all that effective. Is that true? is there any consensus on how to go about it? Thanks.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 04/29/19 07:34 PM

A regular pen type trap will catch them for sure. Trouble is, it will educate 2 (if not 5) for every 1 you catch. Once they get trap shy you have a REAL problem unless you can get dogs in there.

The best method is a combination of trapping, shooting and dogs. Trouble is, unless you own the land or live close by not all options may be on the table. Our club is in an area with a BAD hog problem. We have shot (while hunting, maybe 1/4 of the total) and trapped (other 3/4) something like 400 hogs off our 4k acre lease in the last 5 years. Are they gone? No. BUT, I saw hogs almost every hunt the first year I was there (4 years ago), maybe half the hunts the second year, and NONE the last two years. We still get them in traps and see tracks in the roads but they haven't torn up the plots or the roads too badly anywhere I've seen. Barry (Alabama Hog Control) Estes is our club president and responsible for the vast majority of that reduction.

The only real solution is pressure. If you bother them enough using all the methods described above, they will move to your neighbors. If you only visit your lease 4 months out of the year and or (God forbid) you have a large neighboring tract that either isn't hunted or is VERY lightly hunted you're peeing up a rope. Consistent pressure is the only answer IMHO. Good luck

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 04/29/19 09:37 PM

I'm there enough that running a trap isn't a problem, once i get them build and set up. Not sure if I can find someone to regularly hunt with dogs in there. How many times a year do you need to hunt them with dogs? As far as shooting them, we would probably have to hunt them in the summer to make a big enough dent, I think, because folks don't want to shoot them during deer season.

I am concerned about our neighbors, as tracts on two of the four sides are lightly hunted and the fourth side adjoins the camp and a couple of houses.

Still, you've at least encouraged me a little about the traps, so maybe I'll go that route and get some guys to run dogs also.

P.S., I just re-read your post and realized who is president of your camp. I assume that means you were running those expensive traps with cell cameras and control boxes?
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 04/29/19 10:22 PM

Where are you located? I can either help you with the dog hunting or put you in contact with a reputable dog hunter.

As far as how often to hunt with dogs is completely up to you. I hunt my club once a week and hunt a couple properties for a local land owner a couple times a month.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 04/29/19 11:40 PM

Poisoning
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 04/30/19 06:32 PM

Give me more info on the property, size, terrain type, pines/woods/fields, etc....

Trapping is your best option. Shooting can help, it just depends on the property type and size.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 05/01/19 04:17 AM

We have a JagerPro trap. It’s been handy. Caught 93 hogs two seasons back(first year) and 37 this year.

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 05/01/19 10:29 PM

Barry, private message sent. Thanks.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 07/22/19 02:00 AM

If only snares were legal in Bama. LOL
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 07/23/19 12:54 PM

Jager pro. We caught 86 in the last 18 months and literally catch every hog on the place when we drop the gate. Last year after catching 80 we were hog free for 5 months. Then a little group showed up and dropped on them now hog free again. We dont shoot them at all.

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 07/23/19 02:45 PM

How much land are you trapping them on and how many Jager Pros do you have?

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 07/23/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher

I have 1 trap on 1500 acres. Takes about 4 hrs to break down and move and re set it up by my self. If its disassembled in the barn I can put it up in 1.5 hrs
Posted By: k bush

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 07/23/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2

I have 1 trap on 1500 acres. Takes about 4 hrs to break down and move and re set it up by my self. If its disassembled in the barn I can put it up in 1.5 hrs

Man those rigid panels are worth the extra $$$. Me and a young guy left the house, drove 20 miles and had the panels and gate up in under an hour. Not bad for the first time to set it up.

Re: Most cost/time efficient method of hog control - 07/24/19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by k bush
Originally Posted by Ben2

Man those rigid panels are worth the extra $$$. Me and a young guy left the house, drove 20 miles and had the panels and gate up in under an hour. Not bad for the first time to set it up.

Absolutely I can imagine how much time that saves. If I have a helper even with regular panels if it's just setting it up from a broken down stage an hr is about average. I use hose clamps and a screw gun to attach my panels to the t posts that is the part that takes time but those clamps make it quicker than tying wire
© 2024 ALDEER.COM