Aldeer.com

Very Strange

Posted By: ElkHunter

Very Strange - 03/16/19 07:26 PM

I was working a property in Marengo County earlier this week and shot a big sow bedded down and 5 little ones. The landowner had changed the combo on the lock to the gate so I couldn't get in to retrieve them. They were about 20 yards over the fence. She was huge. Guessing 300+. Anyway I get up with the landowner the next day and get the new combo. I go over after dark working the property again that night and decide to go make sure I had a good body count and get the sex ratio for reporting. I drive up in a buggy with my lights on. I get 10 yards from the sow and there is 2 nice sized boars bedded with the dead sow. One stands and I shoot him 3 times and he falls. The 2nd boar NEVER even stood up. I killed him in his bed.

I have never seen this before. They didn't even eat the little pigs laying around the sow. Really strange behavior.

Life will always show you something new if you only keep your eyes and mind open!
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Very Strange - 03/19/19 01:40 AM

Don't know about the bedding, but damned sure odd they didn't eat at least the piglets. They are def cannabillistic. Learned that way back as a little kid when my GF raised hogs. Sows would eat their young down to one less than teats they had to nurse them. When a sow got to within two open teats, he would prowl, and as another one was dropped, he would deftly snatch one and move it to another sow with fewer piglets. He was one hellova hog farmer!
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Very Strange - 03/19/19 04:05 AM

Personally I think the sounder is more canabalistic than the larger boars but it is strange for sure.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Very Strange - 03/19/19 02:09 PM

I wish they would start eating some of their own at our place.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Very Strange - 03/22/19 05:21 PM

Dang, that place has some huuuuge sows.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM