Aldeer.com

Best WMA for hogs

Posted By: curt99rsv

Best WMA for hogs - 02/18/19 03:33 AM

I know this has probably been asked numerous times but i couldn't find anything recent. I'm planning to go on one of the special hog hunts in the upcoming weeks. I've been to black warrior before with success but it seems like numbers have been going down. I tried Oakmulgee several years ago and saw plenty of sign but no pigs. I was thinking about hitting Lowndes WMA or maybe Coosa. Any advice? Maybe a good area to try on either as this will be my first trip and only a one day trip. I'm in northwest Al so i can't go much further south than Lowndes. Suggestions?
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/21/19 03:45 AM

I would definitely say Lowndes. Its been awhile since Ive been on it, but the south road had a lot of hogs then. I had a sow and 2 little run across the road in front of me when I had a bow in my hand and treestand on my back. If I would have been a second sooner she would have ran my ass over. South road is where I would start brother
Posted By: Morris

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/21/19 07:37 AM

Been years since I’ve been down there hunting myself. But South Rd is where we would get into the hogs.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/21/19 11:41 AM

I see or hear hogs and theres always fresh sign in Mulberry
Posted By: Booger

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/21/19 03:31 PM

The south east side of Mulberry is LOADED with hogs. I turkey hunted it three times last year and killed 6 hogs. Oh, and 1 fine gobbler.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/21/19 10:07 PM

Mobile WMA has to have the most hogs per acre in the state.

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/22/19 03:41 AM

I haven't considered Mulberry but i will definitely look into it. It is two hours closer than Lowndes for me. I've always wanted to try around Mobile but it's a little too far for a day trip and that's really all i have for right now.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/22/19 12:49 PM

Who owns Mulberry? I heard a couple of months ago that Molphus had it for sale.

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/22/19 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Booger
The south east side of Mulberry is LOADED with hogs. I turkey hunted it three times last year and killed 6 hogs. Oh, and 1 fine gobbler.

I've decided to give Mulberry a shot next weekend. When you say the south east side, I'm guessing you mean the southeast part of zone A? That looks like a great area from the aerial view.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 11:30 AM

Lowndes wma, anywhere on southern end of wma is loaded with them
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Who owns Mulberry? I heard a couple of months ago that Molphus had it for sale.

I'm pretty sure US Steel own the property or they did for years and when it was made into a WMA they owned it
Posted By: Clem

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dkhargroves

Has the population increased again? Chris Jaworowski and the trapping crew did a pretty good number on them for a while.
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Clem
Originally Posted by Dkhargroves

Has the population increased again? Chris Jaworowski and the trapping crew did a pretty good number on them for a while.

Of course the population has increased, just as it has continued to do on all of the WMA's. I mean, when you give them 6 months out of the year to breed without fear of anyone hunting them, they are going to multiply. There's only 3 explanations for the state not letting people hunt them on WMA's during those months:
1. The people making the decisions are too STUPID to realize this.
2. Deep down inside, they really don't want to see the pigs completely gone.
3. They would rather spend tax payer money paying trappers to catch them.

There can be no other good explanations for the 6 months of unmolested breeding of hogs the state is allowing to continue on WMA's.

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 04:20 PM

I didn't realize Lowndes had a six-month gap and/or prohibition on hunting hogs. Haven't studied the regs for the WMA.

If so, that certainly seems illogical.
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Clem

I didn't realize Lowndes had a six-month gap and/or prohibition on hunting hogs. Haven't studied the regs for the WMA.

If so, that certainly seems illogical.

If there isn't a designated hog hunt on the WMA, you can only hunt them when there is a season open for another game animal and only with the arms legal for THAT game. That's why I have a .22 magnum pig gun, so I can hunt them during squirrel season. There are no seasons open, other than turkey season, on WMA's from March until the beginning of squirrel season the next year (about 6 months) therefore you are not allowed to hunt the hogs during those months. I have hunted them with a bow during turkey season.

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 06:31 PM

Ah, OK. I knew about the "only when a season is open for ..." deal but wasn't thinking about it.

In that regard, yeah, IMO it's silly to close public land for months when opportunities exist for hunting an invasive pest like feral pigs. If it's a biological issue, state that with some legit reasoning. If there's no biological reason, seems illogical.

I guess "frog season" would be open in the closed periods but trying to gig a pig might prove to be a challenge. Can you shoot frogs with a .22 Magnum? laugh
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 02/26/19 07:36 PM

Oakmulgee used to be full of hogs but I don't think there are as many now.
Posted By: Booger

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 03/04/19 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by curt99rsv
Originally Posted by Booger

I've decided to give Mulberry a shot next weekend. When you say the south east side, I'm guessing you mean the southeast part of zone A? That looks like a great area from the aerial view.

Sorry for the late response. The Hwy 69 side near Blue Creek.

Re: Best WMA for hogs - 03/04/19 03:41 AM

No problem. We hunted Dan ridge rd Saturday morning. Saw a little sign and a couple of skulls but no live pigs. Went that afternoon and found tons of sign near warrior cemetery rd. Definitely going to try that area again this fall and I'll check out the blue creek area as well. Thanks for the suggestions.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM