Aldeer.com

Young dog turning it on!!!

Posted By: BayedUp

Young dog turning it on!!! - 08/02/18 05:13 AM

I have been hunting this young dog for a buddy of mine that hasn’t been able to hunt this summer. I got her from him a little over 2 months ago. When I got her she had never seen a hog. I showed her a little boar hog and she immediately showed interest so I started turning her out with the older dogs on the next hunt. At first she would follow them a couple hundred yards and quit. Then she figured out that if she would stay with them most of the time there’s a hog to play with. Then about 2 weeks ago the switch flipped and she started going off on her own trying to find her own hogs. The last 2 times I have went hunting she has found and bayed 3 by herself and was in on 4 other bays. In two months she has went from a shy pup that you had to drag out of the box to a young dog that shoots out the box like a rocket ready to hunt. I sure hope she keeps on progressing because she has definitely reignited the fire that makes me get up at 3:30 in the morning to go push my way through a briar thicket to catch a stinking hog. Lol

Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy giving these old mutts a ride to the woods and catching a few hogs but the best part of it all is watching that switch flip when a young dog figures out his purpose.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Young dog turning it on!!! - 08/02/18 07:58 AM

Very cool story. What type of dog?
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Young dog turning it on!!! - 08/02/18 09:55 AM

You are spot on, Caleb!
This is just one of the highly rewarding aspects that make the Sport so dang enjoyable!!!

I hope she keeps turning it up!
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Young dog turning it on!!! - 08/02/18 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by gcr0003
Very cool story. What type of dog?

Catahoula
© 2024 ALDEER.COM