Aldeer.com

Making sausage out of swine

Posted By: AUwrestler

Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 04:40 PM

I'm going on a hog hunt in Georgia in May and looking to make some sausage with them at camp. I have a grinder and bags, but what else do I need? Can I use the pig fat, or do I bring some cheap bacon? What spices do you recommend and how do I add them? Can't wait to get some fresh meat. Also its my dads first hog hunt so wish him luck.
Posted By: longshot

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 05:33 PM

just use what you would normally use to make deer sausage. there really wont be a lot of fat on them unless you get into some really big hogs. even a 300lb feral hog doesn't have the thick layer of fat that domestic pigs have.
Posted By: jchurch

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 05:42 PM

I would mix with 30-40% or so boston butt because they will not have much fat on them. Use A.C. Leggs Sausage seasoning. I used this seasoning on venison sausage mixed with 40% boston butt and it is really good. You should be able to find this seasoning in most piggly wigglys or other grocers in south Georgia. I would cube the pig meat and the boston butt in about 1" cubes then get them very cold, nearly frozen. Then mix the sausage seasoning into the cubes to coat them well, then run through the grinder and shoot it directly into 1lb sausage bags. This has been the fastest/easiest way in my experience.
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 07:11 PM

Made up 20 pounds of wild the other day. Folks added zero fat. They just put a little oil in pan when frying patties. It was perfect. They said you dont have to add any fat that way. So much easier!
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 08:28 PM

Man what I would give for an invite on a hog hunt like this! That'd be awesome....
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mcninja
Man what I would give for an invite on a hog hunt like this! That'd be awesome....

Lol Give some money and you can go on a hunt like that.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/04/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by BayedUp

Haha maybe, one day. I'm just giving ol' Greg a hard time bc he did in fact invite me on said hunt, and I, like a schmuck, turned it down, bc I'm a loser.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/05/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jallencrockett
Made up 20 pounds of wild the other day. Folks added zero fat. They just put a little oil in pan when frying patties. It was perfect. They said you dont have to add any fat that way. So much easier!

That’s what my processor does and it’s so much better then regular sausage. It’s not as greasy and that’s what I like about it.

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/05/18 01:44 AM

The last hog I killed had a thick layer of fat on its back. Can I use this fat, or I'm liking the idea to not add any.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/05/18 02:19 AM

Yes you can use it.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/05/18 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by BayedUp

Haha maybe, one day. I'm just giving ol' Greg a hard time bc he did in fact invite me on said hunt, and I, like a schmuck, turned it down, bc I'm a loser.

Man turning down a hog hunt is punishable by up to 2 years in prison!!! Lol
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/05/18 03:48 PM

I'm gonna grind up that sow I killed and make some sausage. I'm gonna go against everything I believe in and use the Leggs seasoning. I always mix my own seasoning but decided to expand my horizons. I figure if it ain't good, I will feed it to that bunch at the camp. I do like the smell and taste of the leggs. Will let y'all know how it turns out.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/05/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by marshmud991
I'm gonna grind up that sow I killed and make some sausage. I'm gonna go against everything I believe in and use the Leggs seasoning. I always mix my own seasoning but decided to expand my horizons. I figure if it ain't good, I will feed it to that bunch at the camp. I do like the smell and taste of the leggs. Will let y'all know how it turns out.

Fyi i use a lil more than the directions

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/07/18 04:34 PM

Made about 20lbs of sausage this morning with that sow. I'm doing it in rolls. Made a pattie and it taste great. I'm going to put some smoke on it and some heat to cure it. If it ain't good the dogs will have a feast. [Linked Image]

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/08/18 06:59 PM

Sausage finished up nice. They really have a great flavor. A little dry so next time I will add a little fat or use a hog with more fat in the meat. They are all sliced packaged and in the freezer. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/17/18 02:52 PM

A cracker, a little cheese, and a good squirt of mustard is all you need! Looks great.

Re: Making sausage out of swine - 04/19/18 03:48 PM

Looks good
© 2024 ALDEER.COM