Aldeer.com

Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama?

Posted By: Jimmymorgan

Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/12/17 08:11 PM

Was curious as to anyone's opinion as to the best wma for hog hunting without dogs.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/12/17 08:27 PM

Mobile Delta
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 01:26 PM

Will be watching this post closely. I plan on going somewhere after deer season.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: JayHook
Mobile Delta

Hands down.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 02:23 PM

Lower delta is full of hogs but for the most part is accessible by only boat and some of the worst terrain I have ever been in.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 07:05 PM

Never been in the Lower Delta but the upper Delta will swallow you up if you aint careful.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 07:34 PM

We bayed a hog 350 yards off the river bank on the last hog dog hunt and it took me 45 minutes to get to them. You will sink out of sight and the only thing to grab is razor sharp palmettos

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 07:51 PM

Bayed up, I believe you just answered if I want to look at lower Delta. I'm hoping to get to a wma in Alabama in December. Was planning on northern Alabama but would rather head further south. Hopefully some of you guys that know the area can send me in the right direction. I figured I will have to use small game guns.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimmymorgan
Bayed up, I believe you just answered if I want to look at lower Delta. I'm hoping to get to a wma in Alabama in December. Was planning on northern Alabama but would rather head further south. Hopefully some of you guys that know the area can send me in the right direction. I figured I will have to use small game guns.

You have a boat? It ain't hard to find them if you do.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 08:18 PM

Yes sir, I have a old Jon boat
Has a old 18 hp evenrude. I'd doesn't drift very shallow though. Is the water around there very deep?

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 08:18 PM

Sorry it doesn't. Stupid auto correct.lol
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 08:27 PM

You will be fine with that boat. Shoot them right out the boat in the lower delta. Just ride till you see some on the bank. Trolling motor is key.
You dont want to go walking around... You are going to be a muddy mess if you do. Much easier to safari hunt em out the boat...

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/13/17 08:29 PM

Pole through the sloughs or trolling motor until you hear them or see them on the bank and either shoot them or put a stalk on them.
Posted By: 30_06gang

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/14/17 01:00 AM

An aldeer delta hog hunt would be a good time!
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/14/17 01:00 PM

Aint no hogs in north alabama but a few small pockets to my knowledge. And its bow only. Gotta go south of birmingham i think. They had a few hogs in wheeler just in one little area. But i think they killed most of em. Jackson county wma was bow only and had a small pocket of them. Bankhead was good a few years ago but i dont see the numbers like i did before. Id go way south
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/14/17 04:22 PM

Seven Mile Island and Lauderdale WMAs have a few hogs these days too in NW Bama. Might be worth a look for somebody.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/14/17 05:27 PM

Yeah, I went to seven Mile island several months back. I really enjoyed it. I was planning on stopping by there for a day hunt when I head to south Alabama. Saw lots of sign. Heard some pigs at dark but couldn't get on any.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/15/17 09:43 AM

Jimmymorgan, you can use your deer rifle on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of rifle season in the lower delta. PM me if I can help you further.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/15/17 04:14 PM

I have a 16' flat bottom boat. Is the Mobile Delta like a WMA? I would appreciate any pointers so I can order a map and plan a trip.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/15/17 04:44 PM

Turkey Joe, would I need a big game license during that time?
Posted By: Baybuzzard

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/15/17 05:54 PM

In the southern portion of the delta (below I-65) you can hunt hogs anytime a season for any game is open, 7 days a week, and hunt them with any weapon you want to use. You can only deer hunt Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you are required to have a big game license.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/15/17 07:12 PM

Jmudler, yes it is a 50000 acre management area. You can get a map ( that you must have signed on you while hunting) from outdooralabama.com. You will need your boat to access it. You are welcome to pm me.
JimmyMorgan, I just reread the rules, and I can certainly see how baybuzzard could interpret them that way, but I personally would not be on the management area during deer season with a center fire rifle without a hunting license. You could call the officer at five rivers delta center to verify.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/15/17 10:40 PM

That's why I try to shoot for the small game season on WMA's . It's $300. For a non resident big game. It's not to overpriced but I hate to pay it to hunt for hogs. I bought my 22 Magnum just for that. But I geuss if I want to hunt them bad enough I will fork out the extra $200. Or wait for a special hog hunt.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/16/17 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: jmudler
I have a 16' flat bottom boat. Is the Mobile Delta like a WMA? I would appreciate any pointers so I can order a map and plan a trip.

Line up a trip with someone like TurkeyJoe who knows the delta. It's unlike anything else if you've never been, but I miss hunting it.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/16/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Line up a trip with someone like TurkeyJoe who knows the delta. It's unlike anything else if you've never been, but I miss hunting it.

Anytime
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/16/17 09:07 PM

Don't waste your money on a map.

http://conservationgis.alabama.gov/fwlt/

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/16/17 09:21 PM

Is the mobile Delta water swamp or is the water swift leading into it? I used my canoe at seven Mile island and worked my but off paddling that stupid thing back up the Tennessee river. If it's swampy I can leave my outboard motor at home. Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/16/17 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimmymorgan
Is the mobile Delta water swamp or is the water swift leading into it? I used my canoe at seven Mile island and worked my but off paddling that stupid thing back up the Tennessee river. If it's swampy I can leave my outboard motor at home. Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

Both. It has major rivers and sloughs with little to no water flow.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/16/17 10:08 PM

Definitely areas in the lower delta you can and can not use an outboard thumbup I am new to the area and trying to get a feel for it myself but I can definitely tell you that much! Upper delta is much more navigable and I would think still has a buncha hogs compared to lower.
Posted By: Smalls

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 11/17/17 08:00 PM

There are hogs in every county of North Alabama and season is open all year and you can use a rifle unless on WMA then it has to be a weapon for something that is in season.
Posted By: Mudbug01

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 01/25/18 03:21 PM

Hey Joe are you hunting the Spanish fort side? I hunt the other side a lot. And the crazy hill at the basin some. How are the hogs your Way? They are nothing like it was a couple years ago over here. Actually I have only killed a one over here This year. Last year I was seeing them all over. I guess everyone shooting and leaving them for so long has worked out for the DNR. But I miss them I like to eat them. Lol
Posted By: Coon23

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 01/28/18 02:59 PM

Ft. Rucker, I see 15 to 30 every time I go deer hunting!!
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 02/23/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baybuzzard
In the southern portion of the delta (below I-65) you can hunt hogs anytime a season for any game is open, 7 days a week, and hunt them with any weapon you want to use. You can only deer hunt Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you are required to have a big game license.

Where did you find this? I'm not saying that I dont believe you, I just know these rules can be a bit interpretive. I've looked everywhere for public land tracts that would allow hog hunting with a rifle when it wasn't deer season.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 02/25/18 05:41 AM

North bama sucks. There aint any hogs up here rhat i know of. There were a few in a small pocket on wheeler and scottsboro and a little in elkmont but thats been 5 years ago and they are gone basically. Bankhead has a few but not many. South bama is it from what i hear but i dont know. I do know we dont have a huntable population in north bama. Thats old rumors

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 02/25/18 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mudbug01
Hey Joe are you hunting the Spanish fort side? I hunt the other side a lot. And the crazy hill at the basin some. How are the hogs your Way? They are nothing like it was a couple years ago over here. Actually I have only killed a one over here This year. Last year I was seeing them all over. I guess everyone shooting and leaving them for so long has worked out for the DNR. But I miss them I like to eat them. Lol

Sorry I missed your post mudbug. I do hunt the east side of the swamp occasionally, and I would say hog numbers are fairly high. See a lot of sign, and sightings are not uncommon. Good luck!
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/02/18 03:20 AM

They are all over the delta. I am almost positive they are considered small game while hunting them. You can use a center fire rifle as long as another season is in other than the seasons at night for coons and opossums or whatever you can hunt at night with dogs. For instance. If rabbit season is in you can shoot a rifle for pigs. . If special teal season is in you can shoot a rifle for pigs. If there is not another season in, you cannot hunt pigs. I think this year there is a special hunt for pigs. I think. I have no idea on rules for there. There are tons of places to kill pigs that you can walk around on the delta below 65. The closer you get to the causeway the less and less land you run into though. I’d like to know the amount me and my buddies have killed over the last 10 years. I know between three of us we had 16 killed by thanksgiving. I’d you really want to kill one wait till right before deer season next year when an early season for something else comes in and come shoot em. If you hunt a weekend hard you will or should kill a pig if you can hunt any bit whatsoever. Bring plenty of bug spray and thermacells.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/02/18 03:21 AM

And yes I did see somewhat of a slight decline this past year on the west side. Maybe all the high water last year is all I can think of.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/03/18 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by countryjwh
They are all over the delta. I am almost positive they are considered small game while hunting them. You can use a center fire rifle as long as another season is in other than the seasons at night for coons and opossums or whatever you can hunt at night with dogs. For instance. If rabbit season is in you can shoot a rifle for pigs. . If special teal season is in you can shoot a rifle for pigs. If there is not another season in, you cannot hunt pigs. I think this year there is a special hunt for pigs. I think. I have no idea on rules for there. There are tons of places to kill pigs that you can walk around on the delta below 65. The closer you get to the causeway the less and less land you run into though. I’d like to know the amount me and my buddies have killed over the last 10 years. I know between three of us we had 16 killed by thanksgiving. I’d you really want to kill one wait till right before deer season next year when an early season for something else comes in and come shoot em. If you hunt a weekend hard you will or should kill a pig if you can hunt any bit whatsoever. Bring plenty of bug spray and thermacells.

So when turkey season comes in week after next, we are good to hunt pigs with a rifle down there?

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/03/18 11:50 AM

yes, if there is a season listed on the management maps for turkeys.
tried copying the map screen shot on my work computer but it will not let me. i'll do it later.

it states though

Swine and Fox: Open during any other scheduled WMA season using weapons and ammunition permitted for hunting any other species. No dogs allowed. ( there is a special season for dogs ) Daylight hours only.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/03/18 01:58 PM

Man I have seriously misunderstood the line about any other WMA season with any other weapon. I took that to mean during turkey season only the same weapons as ok for shooting turkey and for squirrel season only blah blah blah. Sometimes I’m just another IDOT.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/03/18 05:33 PM

no its confusing. actually at the beginning of this year the maps had whatever the other management lands say with use only with what is approved for what is in season.. The upper delta is like this.. if its squirrel season, you can only use 22 or shotguns with fine shot. You get the picture. we called them this year when they were printed and asked and they said no its same as always, that this was a misprint and the new maps would be printed with the right wording. go to the upper delta maps and then to the lower delta maps and compare how it is stated. i think it will make sense then.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/04/18 03:33 AM

So to recap:

If a game season is open - say turkey season - on a WMA, then you can use a centerfire rifle for hogs during that season on the WMA?

I've never understood it to be that way. If it is, then good, but that's a new one on me.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/04/18 12:54 PM

If you go hog hunting in the delta during turkey season, please remember that I've got black hair, kinda fat, and stink sometimes, but I AINT NO HOG. Y'all watch where you shootin. My father in law was killed turkey hunting years ago.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/04/18 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Clem
So to recap:

If a game season is open - say turkey season - on a WMA, then you can use a centerfire rifle for hogs during that season on the WMA?

I've never understood it to be that way. If it is, then good, but that's a new one on me.

Yes for the lower delta. Not any others I know of. ONLY the lower delta from the ones I’ve hunted. Call five rivers to verify. That’s who confirmed it for me this year.

Re: Where is the best public land hog hunting in Alabama? - 03/09/18 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by CatHeadBiscuit
Man I have seriously misunderstood the line about any other WMA season with any other weapon. I took that to mean during turkey season only the same weapons as ok for shooting turkey and for squirrel season only blah blah blah. Sometimes I’m just another IDOT.

That's what I thought, because that's how it is on every other piece of public land. Legal weapons are only weapons that you would already be using for other species. I've looked everywhere for public land to hog hunt with a rifle, and it looks like I finally found somewhere. As a matter of fact, the boys and I are planning a trip down there next weekend.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM