Aldeer.com

What causes hogs to come and go ?

Posted By: Jwattsmojo

What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/10/17 06:56 PM

I know food is a main reason but why do do hogs leave a place and come back like they do.
Posted By: hayman

Re: What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/10/17 07:57 PM

My guess would be food but there are some on here that know way more about pigs and their habits than me.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/10/17 08:06 PM

Food, water, habitat, hunting pressure, cycling sows, and because that is the way the good lord made them. Lol.

Seriously though I bought 40 acres in the river swamp 4 years ago and every summer I have hogs all the way up to deer season and then they disappear till after turkey season and I have come to the conclusion that my neighbors corn pile is bigger than mine.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/11/17 04:33 AM

The 2 major factors are food and pressure. And, that pressure can be no more than human presence in the woods!
I know that the word ‘migration’, in it’s normal context, is not entirely accurate...... But, there is a definite range shift between the seasons!!! And, that move is often measured in miles and can even be across major waterways & rivers.
Posted By: Jwattsmojo

Re: What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/11/17 07:39 AM

Wow learn something new everyday thanx guys
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/11/17 09:39 AM

Food water and pressure. Pressure is not always hunting as mentioned above.

Before we leased our club in Wilcox County, I was told that the pigs were "Seasonable" on the property. Well, that was a joke. After killing 400+ over the past 2.5 years, I can assure you that they are there year round.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: What causes hogs to come and go ? - 10/12/17 09:46 PM

The areas where i hunt seems to always hold a male hog. If the sounders have moved i can still find sign that looks like only one hog. Im not sure but im thinkin its a male hog just hanging around. The area will be ate up with heavy sign, then a few weeks later the sign will dramatically decrease where it looks like its just one hog. Then late winter the sounders come back through. Thats my hunch judging by that amount of sign i see in the areas year after year.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM