Aldeer.com

Regarding hog behavior

Posted By: JayHook

Regarding hog behavior - 08/31/17 11:42 AM

Just hog nature...not really odd. Sounders will pass through my acreage and root up and eat the nuts off the nutgrass. 3-4 weeks later in summers and early fall when we have excess rain the grass grows back fast and you can depend on them to come back to that same spot and eat the young tender stuff.
Also, HW and EH as much ground as you have covered in the river bottoms over the years, I know you have noticed where they root in a drift pile of leaves and wood only to return there right after the next rain. but the drift has to be at the right elevation where it stays moist and not up on a little hog back (no pun intended) ridge where the drift is all dry.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Regarding hog behavior - 08/31/17 03:09 PM

We had some high water in Autauga County early this summer and it got all out in the cotton fields. I kill very few hogs in cotton fields but I did kill some during the couple of weeks following the high water. They were not eating the cotton but they were rooting where the brush, leaves, and small limbs rafted up along he edge of the fields. The cotton was too tall for me to see them a few weeks later.

As far as nut grass is concerned. They love it. They will hit it regularly after each rain. There is a small hay field in Wilcox County that it just about a guarantee kill every night I hunt down there. The strange thing is I seldom kill small pigs there or females. It is almost always a good to large sized single boar doing the damage.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Regarding hog behavior - 09/01/17 05:59 PM

They root a lot for bugs, grubs, worms and such. They live and reproduce u see all that ground litter. Bush hog a big field and come back after a rain. All the big tufts of grass will be rolled over if there are any hogs around!

Nutgrass is IRRESISTABLE to them!! And, like Jayhook dad, they will visit the sites every 4-6 weeks to collect the new nuts!

Those habits lead to lots of rooted up roads!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Regarding hog behavior - 09/01/17 07:39 PM

How about a couple of your and Bayed Up's hog hunting video's when you get a chance. I thought you had left us for a while.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Regarding hog behavior - 09/01/17 07:45 PM

Just been busy.......and, the whole Photobucket thing kinda put a damper on things!!

But, still kicking around and catching/killing hogs about every weekend! 👍
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: Regarding hog behavior - 09/01/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
How about a couple of your and Bayed Up's hog hunting video's when you get a chance. I thought you had left us for a while.

I just learned how to post pics the other day so I need to upload a few.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM