Aldeer.com

Spotted Hogs

Posted By: deadeye48

Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 10:52 AM

Anybody ever seen ant spotted hogs in AL.. The only flavors I've seen so far is black ones and red ones
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 10:59 AM

Not personally but I know they are around. A buddy kills them near the Pea River in S Bama.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 11:04 AM

ya'll wouldn't shoot Spotty?

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 11:17 AM

Hehehehe you don't know me very well
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 11:51 AM

I guess it is all genetics. The hogs are the normal black or red on some places we work and on others you will have some with a lot of white. I like the white ones with black spots, pick out the black spot in the kill zone and let it rip. Great aiming point. LOL

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 12:03 PM

Elkhunter..you ever go into mulberry fork WMA??..Hogs are really spreading quickly in that area
Posted By: JDawg

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 02:09 PM

got pics of 2 on my place. White with small black dots on it
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: deadeye48
Elkhunter..you ever go into mulberry fork WMA??..Hogs are really spreading quickly in that area

I have not.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/23/16 06:49 PM

I killed 3 spotted pigs last deer season in South Dallas co. One of them had a freaking fro. It had so much hair it kind of had an aura around it when it was in the sunlight.
Posted By: Strutter

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/24/16 11:34 AM

Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/24/16 11:48 AM

I can't believe you killed Spotty....
Posted By: Strutter

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/24/16 09:32 PM

The buzzards were hungry!
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/24/16 10:52 PM

Shot one this spring and have seen multiple. Shot an all white one also.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/25/16 08:56 AM

Have seen all varieties here in the delta swamp.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/26/16 06:54 AM

We got all flavors here. The dead ones are my favorite
Posted By: Geno

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/26/16 02:03 PM

I have seen more spotted ones that red and black in Oakmulgee.
Posted By: aubigmac

Re: Spotted Hogs - 12/27/16 03:15 PM

We always have a few spotted ones around at our place in boligee.
Posted By: Mascot

Re: Spotted Hogs - 01/13/17 08:36 PM

You got any tips for hunting these in oakmulgee? Thinking about trying to get after a few.
Posted By: woodswalker

Re: Spotted Hogs - 01/13/17 10:40 PM

Oakmulgee is hit or miss on hogs. I've hunted them on that property since 1998. At this time of year the easy forage is mostly gone, so they roam greater distances. Hunting pressure also causes them to stay on the move. You can find them working some food plots but that's mostly at night. Also, they tend to bed in the pines but like to spend a lot of waking time in the thicker bottoms. There was trapping in the off season and that has reduced the population. But of course they're not all gone.

Like everywhere else, you must watch the wind to stay out of detection of their noses. The problem at Oakmulgee is that the wind swirls in the bottoms and can quickly change direction. That can be a help as well as a hinder. Often I smell pigs before hearing them, and hear them before seeing them.

Be prepared with a cart to haul a whole pig out because the steep hills make it harder to drag an animal. Often, I will take choice cuts, placing the meat in garbage bags within my backpack. Apparently, the coyotes like pork and carcasses don't last very long.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Spotted Hogs - 01/13/17 11:20 PM

I killed this one in the forest christmas morning in the tnf outside oakmulgee. Im going to try them this weekend down there
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Spotted Hogs - 01/13/17 11:22 PM

That was the first non black one ive seen down there. Being spotted is the reason it got shot
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: Spotted Hogs - 01/22/17 03:38 AM

Bankhead has a bunch of spotted hogs.
Posted By: Booger

Re: Spotted Hogs - 01/30/17 11:17 PM

I saw one Saturday.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM