Aldeer.com

The Pig Plot Trap

Posted By: ElkHunter

The Pig Plot Trap - 05/04/16 04:00 PM

The Pig Plot Trap

Becca and I set up a trap on our hunting club in Wilcox County on Dec 5th of last year. It was located on a super small food plot that we didn’t plant this season but we did spray it and disc it for some reason. While hunting in the area this fall I kept noticing that the hogs really seemed to like the area.
The area has a creek to the west and a small branch to the south. It also has about 40 acres of 8 year old pines to the east with a large cattle pasture on the other side of the pines. Between the pines and the creek is about 40 acres of hardwoods. Just a great piggy area.
The trap has been operational for most of time. I did pull the feeder out for about 3 weeks right after deer season. Other than that it has pretty much been in catch mode.
To date we have caught in that trap 11 times for a total of 89 hogs. We have not moved this trap at all. We just keep changing the batteries and filling the feeder with corn. The pigs keep showing up.
I must admit I get a kick out of hearing folks claim you can’t catch in the same place twice. I guess they really wouldn’t believe 11 times. LOL

I plan on leaving this trap at this location until it completely drives up with pigs. I just don’t think it will as long as the cattle ranch keeps feeding them cows.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/04/16 06:27 PM

How does that fit in with the territorial 'sounder' theory and the fact that many dispel the idea that hogs migrate and spread?

That is a lot of triggers, and I assume each was a complete sounder removal, in a short time.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 07:12 AM

That one is a LOT of fun to get to also. There's a BAD road on the east side of the creek crossing that has swallowed several SXS's. Managed to get a Kawasaki Prairie 400 through there only getting stuck three times yesterday. By some miracle we came back through with a 100lb sow and 4 piglets without sticking it, until we got to the giant sand pile the creek deposited when it got up last time.

This was not a full sounder catch but Barry has a camera with text pictures to his phone and he does try to do full captures when he can. I'm sure they migrate and I'm sure neither he nor you know everything about how to eliminate them.

I'll say this for sure. We have hammered them (well some of us have, we have a member who can't shoot, his initials are Brandon) for almost a year and a half and I see a LOT less of them than I did. That's with no serious efforts from our neighbors that I'm aware of. I personally believe they will never be eradicated from an area but if you pressure them some they will find another area more to their liking.

Fwiw I took the pigs to the guy who runs the body shop, garage, hang out around the fire barrel and drink place just south of our camp road on Hwy 5. That's the 3rd time I have taken them pigs (we also have carried some to the guy with the store the other way on 5), and I feel much better that they're not going to waste (mine anyway).

EVERY CLUB with pigs ought to be doing that. It's a sin and a shame in my mind to throw them away to rot when there are people around who would love to have them. Never hurts to generate a little goodwill in the democratic community. I plan to go see the preacher at the local church (St Mary's) and find out who else may want some.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 07:19 AM

I agree, Robert.
And, that is not a slam at Barry.

However, it IS highly-touted 'Science' that I am questioning. And, I would like to know other's opinions on it.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 07:31 AM

Hogs in general love pig plots! A pig plot being defined as wherevever we put a feeder up.
And Robert if you have extras you might try the area between red creek and Kimbrough...

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 08:37 AM

11-Dec 4 S
22-Dec 2S and 1yb
25-Dec 1B
9-Jan 3S, 7G, 1B, and 2YB
18-Jan 2S
27-Jan 5S and 4B
19-Feb 1S, 1B, and 5YB
28-Mar 2S, 13G, and 8YB
31-Mar 4S, 7G, 1B, and 7YB
28-Apr 3B
4-May 1S, 1G, and 3YB

legend S=Sow, B=Boar, YB=Young Boar, G=Gilt

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 08:46 AM

I know that is a little difficult to read, I just don't know of another way to put it out.

To answer your question, I would not say I waited for complete sounders each time. I had to catch when we had myself or another member at camp to get them out.

If you notice, with the exception of the boar only catches, there was at least 1 sow in each catch. And boy were they pregnant (Don- notice no fetal count). LOL

I will admit this is an unusual situation. The Dec 11 and 22, Jan 18 and Jan 27 catches only had 1 young pig combined. Yet, everyone one of those sows were about to pop. We did cut them open when we cleaned them to check for fetuses. They each had 4-8 in them best I can remember. I have stopped keeping those numbers now.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 09:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
How does that fit in with the territorial 'sounder' theory and the fact that many dispel the idea that hogs migrate and spread?

That is a lot of triggers, and I assume each was a complete sounder removal, in a short time.

I doubt a single trap can provide any information on migration or spread. I would think you would need to research pigs on the edge of a territory with no pigs on the adjoining property to study that. I wouldn't think you could do that in the middle of a large pig population like in Wilcox County.

Under the normal definition of migrate, pigs don't migrate. They do move around within their area as food sources change. But, they don't migrate with the seasons like birds, fish, and African game.

If pigs did spread at any real rate, we would have had them all over the country hundreds of years ago. It is about 3,000 miles from coast to coast depending on the route you pick, if pigs did "spread", they would have hit California about 300 years ago with just a 10 mile a year rate. At that rate the entire county would have been hog country 200 years ago.

If you look at the maps of feral hog dispersal back in 1988, I think it is VERY safe to say that pigs do not migrate or spread at any noticeable rate.

And yes that is just my opinion not a fact. It is very logical though.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 09:47 AM

I have always noticed Seasonal migrations (call it movement within an area if you will) or the hogs where I am located. And, by such, I mean several miles. And, during times of abundant food supply, such as crop maturity or heavy mast, individual hogs and groups of hogs may travel well over a mile in one direction to feed and then return to a Sanctuary type area to bed in the daylight hours.
I have been keeping tabs of a large group since about mid-Winter. That group has now split into 2 smaller groups. The closest is just over 1 mi from the area they resided in during the Winter. The other group is almost 2 miles and across a State highway.
And, although I and others will kill a good many of those hogs this Summer. I would be willing to bet that there will be a repeat of this again next year. They always have!
I get invited to properties quite often that the deer hunters claim is over-run with hogs. But, when we get there during the Summer, there is not the 1st hog track to be found ANYWHERE on the property. That is a very common scenario.

And, your statement about areas with established hog herds is exactly the same thing that I have been saying this whole time. Large properties with highly restricted access will provide a brood sanctuary that will keep surrounding properties populated. Land use patterns, hunter access, Hunter participation/harvest utilization all HAVE changed considerably over the 30+ yrs that I have been actively hunting hogs. And, they have all played integral roles in the hog population.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 11:12 AM

Here are the kill numbers for the club during the calendar year of 2015. Like you said, everyone told us that the pigs were very seasonal but I don't think that is totally the case. They do move around some, but I believe the disappearance is more of the hunters disappearing than it is the hogs doing so.

Jan 9
Feb 10
Mar 4
Apr 15
May 5
Jun 0
Jul 3
Aug 6
Sep 12
Oct 33
Nov 8
Dec 12
Total 117

2015 We killed 75 hunting and 42 trapping. But, didn't start trapping until Sept.

So far in 2016 we have killed 25 hunting and 82 trapping.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 04:50 PM

Danny,

How many did ya'll kill on Flatwoods the year you got the hog membership?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 07:39 PM

I honestly do not remember.
But, it was multiple hogs every trip.
And, you are correct that they stay right in that area you are talking about. It is probably the most 'hoggy' place there.
And, with them clearing so much of Shell Creek for cattle.....I am sure it is even more so!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/05/16 08:26 PM

Daniel I think they move seasonally just like turkeys. The Scotch land back behind Jonny Newsomes house always had a bunch of fall turkeys...and in the spring none...they all hopped the highway onto Forrestdale

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/06/16 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: JayHook
Daniel I think they move seasonally just like turkeys. The Scotch land back behind Jonny Newsomes house always had a bunch of fall turkeys...and in the spring none...they all hopped the highway onto Forrestdale

Good analogy!
Migrate may not be 'Scientifically Accurate'.
Maybe 'Seasonal Transition' is a better, if we are being PC.

But, there is NO doubt that here in SW AL the hogs move around with the food and pressure. And that movement is often measured in miles. And, a combination of all external factors such as terrain, topography, land use, human presence, preferred food, etc ALL create some extremely reliable travel corridors and transition zones such as the area that Barry is describing.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/07/16 01:55 PM

I have noticed that in the spring turkeys seem to move to the corn! LOL

Had a guy up near my uncle's place in Coosa County that would end up with all the turkeys in the area about the time spring season started. The GW helped disperse them some a couple of years. Funny had a ticket helps move the turkeys around. LOL

There is no doubt that hogs move around some during the year. But, I don't think it is a total sell out. I think there are always some that don't know the routine and hang around.

I do get a kick out of some folks that say our hogs leave during the summer. When the ground dries and it is more difficult to see tracks, you have to scout a little harder.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/07/16 03:27 PM

Since you have no hogs 'local' and seek out preferred habitat in high population areas; I can see where your opinion would be influenced in that direction.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 01:30 PM

Danny,

Bless your heart. Your distain for me and my business are clouding your judgement. I work properties in my home County regularly as I do the counties adjoining it. I rarely call on any landowner. They contact me for help. So, you had 2 misstatements in your post.

But I have no doubt you will spin this at me somehow.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 05:00 PM

LOL - you just tried to bash me last week about my leads not helping you......until I reminded you of the Reeves.....You are Welcome, btw.

I guess I am the only one privileged enough to get asked for leads.
I am honored!! smile

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 05:57 PM

You are correct about Reeves. I was brand new starting out. That one did work. I can't think of another client that didn't call us. So, don't act all high and mighty! LOL

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 06:08 PM

And, you are correct that they stay right in that area you are talking about. It is probably the most 'hoggy' place there.
And, with them clearing so much of Shell Creek for cattle.....I am sure it is even more so!

I do find it interesting that you and Don always brag about how many pigs you have killed along with other hog doggers, but when I ask you BOTH about those numbers, neither of you can provide them. Could it be that ya'll are simply estimating those numbers?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 07:37 PM

No estimates on my part.
But, I do not keep records of individual catches on specific properties. Simply the total.

You are welcome to dissect that any way that you wish.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter

I do find it interesting that you and Don always brag about how many pigs you have killed along with other hog doggers, but when I ask you BOTH about those numbers, neither of you can provide them. Could it be that ya'll are simply estimating those numbers?

Would you care to elaborate on any specifics of what you are basically calling me a liar on? And, also, why you think I would lie?
I have NOTHING to prove. I do this for the fun of of it. The caught/killed hogs are just a bonus for the landowner/leaseholder.
Posted By: donbradford

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/08/16 09:11 PM

You are FOS, I can't tell you 20 yrs ago, But for the last 3 years I can tell you every hog I've caught, who was hunting with me, with what dogs, the property and what ever else you want to know, Well it's one thing I can't tell you and that's how many PIGS The pregnant Sow had in them, We catch enough that we don't have to add them to our totals like these professionals trappers do.....I really do enjoy going behind these professionals and hunting the properties That they have eradicated the hogs on, We seem to have real good luck on those places smile

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 05:51 AM

The more I have thought about your implication of me fabricating numbers, or lying.........the angrier I have gotten. I have no reason whatsoever to lie about ANYTHING! I am not promoting myself, or a business, in any manner. I am simply having fun, sharing that fun with others and helping some folks out with their hogs when I can.. Your constant attack on my Integrity shows a true lack of character on your part!!!!

And, fwiw, I joined that club the Summer of 2011.
How many hogs did YOU catch & kill that year??

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 09:54 AM

Don and Danny,

Ya'll sure do get your panties in a wad when I treat ya'll just like ya'll treat me. Feels good doesn't it!

Kill numbers.

I didn't start my business until Jan 2013. But, I will be glad to give you my kill totals on the years leading up to that year. Of course, it was all just for fun then.

2009 - 11 - Portland Landing
2010 - 42 - Portland Landing
2011 - 5 - Portland Landing (Partial year)
2012 - 78 - Bullock County

These were all mine. Mainly gun but a few with a bow.

Once again I supply the requested info.....

And for the record, I have called neither of you a liar.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 11:08 AM

Looms like to me that I did more in one day at Flatwoods in 2011 to 'Help Save the World from Feral Pigs' than you did Worldwide in 2011.
So, what was/is your point?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 04:30 PM

I just find it interesting that you called me out last year saying I wasn't doing anything about the hogs on my hunting club. Even posted pictures of hogs from game cameras. I simply wanted to know how many you killed on the property when you had access to it since you and your dog buddies do such a better job than I do.

But, then you don't remember.

And I guess Don is still on the road and hasn't had time to post the numbers he said he would post yet.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 04:52 PM

Danny for the life of me I don't understand why I am even a bother for you. I have in NO WAY tried to harm your sport or fun. If I am such the small potatoes you claim I am, then why the all the attention?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 05:19 PM

I just find it interesting that you called me out last year saying I wasn't doing anything about the hogs on my hunting club. Even posted pictures of hogs from game cameras. I simply wanted to know how many you killed on the property when you had access to it since you and your dog buddies do such a better job than I do.

But, then you don't remember.

And I guess Don is still on the road and hasn't had time to post the numbers he said he would post yet.

I said I had the info but I haven't seen where you ask me a question, What would you like to know ?
Maybe I'm overlooking something, Show me where you ask and where I said I'd post anything

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/09/16 05:49 PM

Danny for the life of me I don't understand why I am even a bother for you. I have in NO WAY tried to harm your sport or fun. If I am such the small potatoes you claim I am, then why the all the attention?

You are Rod Pinkston's whipping boy.
No more, no less.
You WANT to be much more. But, you do not have the means.......

And, if I want to talk to Rod; I will call him myself. So, quit asking him how to reply and what to say. People are watching and are finding the puppet show quite comical. And, that is the best advice I have for you today Ol' chap!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 08:30 AM

Danny,

Your right people are watching and they are watching you make a fool out of yourself. I haven't emailed, called, texted, or any other means of communications with Rod since I left the Wild Pig Conference a few weeks ago. So just another swing and a miss on your part. Sure does seem like you strike out a lot.

The day I need advice from you, I will simply ask one of your dogs. I am sure they are much more honest.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 09:13 AM

I will be next door to your place Thursday.
You are Welcome to get up with me and we can discuss anything that you care to discuss in any manner that you care to discuss it.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 09:32 AM

Is that what this is all about?

Now the "lunch" and "Rod" comments make sense. You are simply trying to burn me with the DCNR. LOL

If you are sincere about talking, you have my number. Call me when you finish across the street.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 10:58 AM

This is about your repeatedly calling me a liar and constantly making blanket false accusations.
It also has a lot to do with your stance on the whole situation and your support of the push to ban Recreational Hunting.

It has nothing at all to do with any of your trapping or shooting activities. If anything, they help get the small ones out of the way.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 01:23 PM

This is about your repeatedly calling me a liar and constantly making blanket false accusations.
It also has a lot to do with your stance on the whole situation and your support of the push to ban Recreational Hunting.

It has nothing at all to do with any of your trapping or shooting activities. If anything, they help get the small ones out of the way.

What would you call the statements about the lunchs and Rod? They are DAMN sure not factual.

I have not in ANY WAY tried to ban or inhibit Recreational Hunting. Just another story you created.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 01:39 PM

You are lying if you claim that you never told me that you 'like to go acrsoss the street and have lunch with the DCNR guys'.
That is your Fact!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 01:44 PM

I have had lunch with an employee of the DCNR maybe 5 or 6 times over 25 years. Most of those discussions centered around bow hunting but I doubt you will ever believe that.

Never did I claim I did it regularly like you stated. Once again you are simply trying to inflame the situation with false statements.

I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying a conversation with fellow hunters or DCNR employees about what is going on in the woods of Alabama.

So, what is your excuse for the "Rod" statement? I can't wait to see you spin that one.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:00 PM

So, where did you see 'regular' in my post??
And, the statement about Rod is in lieu of the fact that you do as he tells you to.

Are you denying that there are emails about how to address people about hog control and how to persuade people use your methods vs traditional methods of hog control. PR Policies/Strategies.....

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:07 PM

"Your Highness, in all of your awesomeness........that was posted as a response to your post.
Sorry to confuse you right before lunch.
But, it will provide great 'table talk' for you and the guys at DCNR that you claim to enjoy having lunch with regularly."

Last word! It was in the Lowndes thread.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:10 PM

Sorry for making that mistake!
However, my point was well made that you had 'dropped' that line before!

And, the list of Sponsors for the Wild Pig Conference is nice!!!

As well as the 1st days agenda.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:11 PM

Am I the only one that see the Commercial Investment by these companies???

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:20 PM

I honestly don't remember ever making that statement in any form. But, I won't argue over it. You recanted your statement, that is good enough for me.

As for the sponsors and agenda, you really need to attend one of these. It is not what you think it is.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:22 PM

It is exactly what I think it is.
But, I do not doubt that it involves many well-meaning and intelligent people, also.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:26 PM

It is exactly what I think it is.
But, I do not doubt that it involves many well-meaning and intelligent people, also.

Have you ever attended one?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:27 PM

I do not send the fox to guard the henhouse.

And the list of sponsors clearly defines it as such!!!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:31 PM

Do you check under your bed for monsters every night? Because you dang sure see monsters in EVERYTHING to do with hog control companies.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:39 PM

Oh, let me guess, they are all non-profit Organizations that hate hogs SO bad that they made large investments in organizing, building and operating these companies.....and send all their profits to orphanages and homes for the less privileged.......

Nope, they have a vested interest in making a profit.
The same goal of every BUSINESS!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:47 PM

Do you give your employer as much crap as you give me? I am assuming your employer is a for profit business as well.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:49 PM

They do not disguise the fact that they are for-profit and try to hide their advertising on talk forums.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 02:55 PM

They do not disguise the fact that they are for-profit and try to hide their advertising on talk forums.

And you wonder why I question the honesty in your statements!!!

I have NEVER pretended to be a non-profit!
I have NEVER hid my advertising. Heck it is on the top banner. Let's see about my advertising, it includes, this site, radio, magazines, newspapers, internet, FaceBook, etc.... Why in the world would I try to hide it? And how would someone hide it? I pay good money to be a sponsor on this site and to advertise.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 03:15 PM

And you wonder why I question the honesty in your statements!!!

I have NEVER pretended to be a non-profit!
I have NEVER hid my advertising. Heck it is on the top banner. Let's see about my advertising, it includes, this site, radio, magazines, newspapers, internet, FaceBook, etc.... Why in the world would I try to hide it? And how would someone hide it? I pay good money to be a sponsor on this site and to advertise.

I will just leave this right here for you......

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 04:21 PM

LOL, that in no way has anything to do with a non-profit. Because we chose to put our earnings back into growing the company does not make it a non-profit.

Once again a swing and a miss!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 04:34 PM

Thank You for proving my point once again!
Your business and affiliation with the DCNR has nothing to do with Natural Reources and everything to do with lining your pockets!!!!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 04:53 PM

Danny you don't have a point. You just make dumb statements.

Definition of a business - Lawful commercial activities to earn profit. In case you haven't noticed, that is how it works in a democracy. If you have a problem with that I guess you will be voting for Bernie!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 05:00 PM

"I am all FOR Hunter's Rights and Against the Commercialization of our Natural Resources".

Let's just look at your statement here for a few minutes.

How do you hunt hogs? If I am correct, you ride around on some brand of buggy using gas or electric batteries, you use radio collers on your dogs so you can track them, you use knives to kill them, you pay to hunt some properties via day fees or hog only leases, you wear hunting clothes and boots, you take pictures with cameras or cell phones, etc......

You are so right again dude, you are very much against the "Commercialization of our Natural Resources".

Once again the truth is you just have a problem with how others do it. So, Ole Chap, once again your statements are full of BS!

Another swing and a miss!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 05:44 PM

No, Barry.....you and your cronies are making money and doing your best to influence Legislation and OUR DCNR to try to line your pockets.
You are forgetting that you drive a Dodge Truck, use(d) a Bad Boy Buggy, utilize FLIR technology and the AR platform. So, try comparing apples to apples.

I have learned my lesson with your 2-faced azz.....I do not like you, your partners in crime or what you stand for.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 06:23 PM

Well just remember we wouldn't be here if you and the others that have moved hogs all over country hadn't created the need for us.

Thank you so much!!!

As for you not liking me. I am sorry. I really thought we could be friends. But you see demons everywhere.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 06:37 PM

I have never 'moved hogs all over the Country'. I have moved them, and sold a pile of em! And, you would probably be surprised at some of the buyers!

Now, let's deal with the Present.
Or, we can go back and deal with the few years that you have been in business. Who and where do you have factual knowledge of hogs being moved? Are they replacing the ones you eradicate? Or, are you just failing in that Regard and needing a scapegoat?

You keep focusing on 15-20 years ago and you will ALWAYS be behind!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 06:39 PM

If you treat all your friends the way you have me.....I seriously doubt that you have many....

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/10/16 08:18 PM

I doubt all the landowners and neighbors of landowners that received the pigs you moved around whether it was directly or indirectly through expansion would be as willing to simply dismiss that as the past.

When they are losing thousands in crop damage, I doubt they say well shucks the statute of limitations has ran on old Danny and I guess I don't care about all the dang hogs on my place destroying my crops.

See the truth is I am coming in behind the folks that have moved hogs around and trying to clean up the mess they created.

But, you and others want to play word games like eradication and counting fetuses and try to throw blame elsewhere.

The truth is pretty simple. The folks that have moved lived hogs and the ones that are still doing it are the demons. And no matter how hard you try to blame others, the truth is still the truth.

To put it in your words the best I can, "the hog doggers biggest threat is from the bad hog doggers". And yet, I have NEVER seen you attack them on here. You try to attack me instead. Why don't you clean up your own house first.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 04:00 AM

Point one of those 'bad' dog hunters out to me on here.
I will lay it to them!!!

And, tell me, in all your Wisdom, where I released any hogs that have caused any crop damage or expansion. You have NO idea what, where or when I did what other than the admission I have openly made that I have moved and sold them 15-25 years ago. Just like you have ZERO first hand knowledge or proof that anyone else has. It is simply a scapegoat and used to promote Commercial activities. That HAS to be true because I have never seen you bash the trappers that moved WAY more hogs than any other group that I know of.

But, plain and simple, you have not eradicated the 1st property in the existence of your company. You have killed a lot of hogs, no doubt. But, in very short order, there are just as many, or more, there. And, no, I do NOT believe for one minute that people are hauling them in and releasing them behind you.

Snake Oil Salesman using technical terms and snazzy catch phrases with plenty of empty promises. The only long term success that you have made is to your bank acct.
And, you are more than Welcome to try and offer some rebuttal. But, it is an absolute fact that all the properties you have worked still have hogs on them.
Posted By: jwal

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 07:01 AM

The agenda for the first morning of the Wild Pig Conference should just be labeled " How to BS the Public 101". Evidently they consider that the most important part of the conference since it is first on the itinerary.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 08:05 AM

I would guess most of the "BAD" hog doggers don't do much internet and don;t really care to discuss it! And they lose their permission slips just like others when the do wrong! LOL
It is also my belief that one of the MOST RIDICULOUS things ever done in this state was to legalize LEGAL hunting with thermal technology and supressed guns. It all meant well but has gone south real, real fast! MAYBE EVEN FASTER THAN THAT!
A few bad apples mess things up for everybody. Whether it's bad hog doggers or FLIR hog hunters....

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 08:12 AM

Danny,

I have NEVER claimed to eradicate a property.

I have no doubt that hogs caught in traps were moved more than hogs caught with dogs. But, I also understand that a person can be both a hog dogger and a trapper. So, you can't draw a line between the two.

I have NEVER said anyone is releasing hogs behind me.

I do find it interesting that your values have changed over the years. You once took advantage of the commercialization of our natural resources by selling and relocating pigs. But, you no longer believe in it. Is that because your values changed or is simply no longer profitable because there are pigs everywhere in your area now?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 08:39 AM

Hogs have always been plentiful in my area.
That is the point you are missing!

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 11:45 AM

Then how were you able to sell them?
Posted By: Geno

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 12:05 PM

popcorn

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 12:17 PM

Then how were you able to sell them?

Because people wanted to buy them!
Many for food and some for trophies.
Posted By: Clem

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 01:35 PM

It's legal to move and sell hogs?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 01:45 PM

Clem, for YEARS hogs became the possession of the landowner or agent who captured them. You could do anything you wanted to with them; EXCEPT release them onto another property other than where they were caught.
What is illegal NOW has not always been.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 01:54 PM

So, moving them i.e. releasing them onto another property other than where they were caught always has been illegal. I was thinking that was correct.

Just wasn't sure about selling them. I thought it was illegal to sell game animals, even hogs.

Learn a little bit every day.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 02:01 PM

They were no longer Game Animals once caught.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 02:03 PM

So, how is it illegal to sell deer meat or waterfowl? It's no longer a game animal once reduced to possession if that's held to the same standard.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 02:09 PM

That is not how the Law is written.
It was specifically written into the Regs that hogs were reduced to possession and no longer considered a Game Animal.
Deer, ducks, turkeys, etc do not say that.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 02:19 PM

Interesting. Wonder why it was done like that specifically for hogs?
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 04:19 PM

The term Natural resource is contradicted on page 3. Can someone please define natural resource?

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jallencrockett
The term Natural resource is contradicted on page 3. Can someone please define natural resource?

Natural resources are all that exists without the actions of humankind. This includes all natural characteristics such as magnetic, gravitational, and electrical properties and forces. On earth we include sunlight, atmosphere, water, land (includes all minerals) along with all vegetation and animal life that naturally subsists upon or within the heretofore identified characteristics and substances.

You will hear it told that feral hogs are not part of our Natural Resources since they are not Native. However, that fact is disputable due to the fact that they have existed on this Continent in excess of 500 years. And, added to that is the fact that they are, and have been since the late 1930's/early 1940's, protected by the Conservation Dept and regarded as Game Animals.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 05:17 PM

As far as 'why' the Regs were written to reduce hogs to the possession of the person who captured them.....

I would hazard a guess that it was due to the fact that MANY people here in SW AL, where feral hogs have existed since well before the formation of the DCNR, would trap or catch hogs and move them to a feedlot to fatten for butchering. Also, many people caught and castrated the boars and then released them back into the Wild to grow and be used later as table fare.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 06:21 PM

Danny is pretty much right on target as to "why"....

regs have changed as the commercial aspect has arisen and money is to be made....

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 07:03 PM

And, on the subject of money.......I must have been the only person on the board that caught the few key words in this post last year......

Posted By: BhamFred

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 07:16 PM

refresh my butt on what the total funding was by ALDCNR.....

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 07:21 PM

Nobody really knows.....but, a minimum of $600k......

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 07:53 PM

How many bids did they get from businesses Wanting to supply traps for this research and who Won the bid ??

What was the reason for this Research and what was the findings of the research?

Shouldn't the tax payers of Alabama have the right to know the findings of the research?

Shouldn't we have the right to know where and what our $600,000 was spent on and how it benefited the citizens of Alabama ?

Barry, Your the expert, What do you know about this ?
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 08:34 PM

Don you should be able to get all that info from Auburn. Just send a freedom of information act (FOIA) letter.

I managed a research facility for auburn for a couple years. Little known facts you have to buy new you cant by used for research. Typically the feds give money to state which is then dispersed as RESEARCH FUNDS. It is very easy to run thru 200 to 300 K in a 2 year study.

Most purchases are to preferred vendors like home depot on an Auburn purchasing card. Thousands and thousands are purchased in multiple events and they get exempted from bid because they are purchase by themselves and are less then the amount requiring bids. Typically if we were building fences (like a trap) we would build everything after purchasing from home depot. The trap mechanism would be purchased separately. From my experience it is sketchy at best if bid laws are followed to the law. I don't think it is an intentional thing I just believe its iffy in regards to procedure.

I think a lot of the procedural stuff is determined by who the grant goes thru. For example ALDOT owns all equipment that is purchased during a research product.

OF most interest to hunters on this site is the objective of the study. Make no mistake that the study is conducted to determine a theory that is preset in goals of research.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 09:24 PM

Don how many other companies offered remote triggered camera traps?

I suspect the research was (is being?) done to find out if the Ft Rucker test/theory/result could be replicated on a smaller size place. Whether it was or was not successful didn't it need to be tried?

Maybe hogs aren't a PROBLEM for you (they aren't for me either, I love hunting them on the club I belong to) but they are a MAJOR, ECONOMIC pain in the @$$ for many of my row crop farmer customers.

Hogs were trapped or caught and released in other areas by people who I'm sure meant no harm. They were caught in swampy areas where there wasn't mush row cropping going on, so I assume the people involved (some of whom I know personally and like) didn't realize the lasting effects and potential costs of what was being done.

You enjoy hunting pigs, so do I, Danny and Barry too. There is right and wrong on both sides of this issue but if you truly believe Barry Estes is trying to stop recreational hunting of them (as if he could) you are dead wrong. He's not perfect, his business isn't either, but we are all living in glass houses here.

The State of AL decided to do the study. Nobody forced them to do it. The intent as I understand it was research. What's wrong with that? The company that got the bid sold them the traps. Were they not supposed to? Who else was going to do it?

The only flaw I see in this is that there isn't 10x as much money spent on research for other invasive species, like Cogongrass.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 10:38 PM

The intent of the Study is of great concern. Especially when the info is guarded and the results hoarded.
Say and think what you want about Barry. But, he is a 'numbers guy' as shown by his recent posts. He follows all of his Sales and posts claim to those 'numbers' quite often. But, the single largest sale of his career and he has NO info on how it is going??? Odd, to say the least. Especially when you consider the fact that he bragged to me BEFORE anybody knew of the Project that there was going to be some Research done and I was not going to like the results of it!!! And, yes, I can prove that. He sent it to me in a PM. I got banned for posting a PM from him about the same Project last year. But, I do not care. The TRUTH is not something to hide from. And, those who do should have their motives and integrity questioned by all!!!
Posted By: charlie

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/11/16 11:38 PM

The way it was written, hogs were only considered a game animal while being hunted. Once reduced to possession they were property of the hunter, I believe the reg actually said landowner , but I can't remember exactly. . My guess is this was so they could regulate the way they were hunted but after caught, killed or trapped they could be sold for meat, penned for slaughter later or sold for other purposes with the exception of release on other property. You could hunt them at night with dogs only, no weapons, and a few other things. If you could sell deer meat it would, and actually does, lead to a lot of poaching and reduction of the herd. They didnt care about hog population being wiped out they just didnt want people hunting them in some kind of crazy way so they listed them as a game animal to be able to easily regulate their hunting. It was much simpler then. Hogs have been in this part of the state for a long , long time.

Originally Posted By: Clem

Interesting. Wonder why it was done like that specifically for hogs?
Posted By: charlie

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/12/16 12:03 AM

This is how the old rules looked.

FERAL SWINE (WILD HOGS)GUNS, BOW AND ARROW, CROSSBOW, OR SPEARS (NO DOGS)*
No bag limit daylight hours onle. No Closed Season

GUNS, BOW AND ARROW, CROSSBOW OR SPEARS WITH DOGS*
No bag limit, daylight hours only - No Closed Season, except during and in areas of stalk only
deer season which includes counties and areas listed under the dog deer hunting exceptions
(see page 5) and except during and in areas of spring turkey season.

DOGS ONLY- NIGHTTIME (NO WEAPONS)*
No bag limit - No closed season, except after 3:00 A.M. during and in areas of spring turkey season.

TRAPPING BY LANDOWNER OR HIS AGENT
No bag limit - No Closed Season *No hunting on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on the Talladega (Talladega Division) National Forest during the dates of the deer season except hunting shall be allowed on November 20 -21,
December 18- 19, and December 25 - 26.

Once reduced to personal possession of the landowner or agent, feral swine will no longer be considered a game animal. However, feral swine will be treated as a game animal at any time they are hunted

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/12/16 09:49 AM

The intent of the Study is of great concern. Especially when the info is guarded and the results hoarded.
Say and think what you want about Barry. But, he is a 'numbers guy' as shown by his recent posts. He follows all of his Sales and posts claim to those 'numbers' quite often. But, the single largest sale of his career and he has NO info on how it is going??? Odd, to say the least. Especially when you consider the fact that he bragged to me BEFORE anybody knew of the Project that there was going to be some Research done and I was not going to like the results of it!!! And, yes, I can prove that. He sent it to me in a PM. I got banned for posting a PM from him about the same Project last year. But, I do not care. The TRUTH is not something to hide from. And, those who do should have their motives and integrity questioned by all!!!

Danny,

If I said that to you, then I simply meant that the traps were going to catch a lot of pigs. As usual, you are reading much more into all of this than there really is.

There has not been a single person tell me how the project is going. I have NO KNOWLEDGE what so ever about how many pigs they caught. Odd or not, it is the truth.

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 05/13/16 09:08 PM

[quote=RobertD]Don how many other companies offered remote triggered camera traps?

I suspect the research was (is being?) done to find out if the Ft Rucker test/theory/result could be replicated on a smaller size place. Whether it was or was not successful didn't it need to be tried?

Maybe hogs aren't a PROBLEM for you (they aren't for me either, I love hunting them on the club I belong to) but they are a MAJOR, ECONOMIC pain in the @$$ for many of my row crop farmer customers.

Hogs were trapped or caught and released in other areas by people who I'm sure meant no harm. They were caught in swampy areas where there wasn't mush row cropping going on, so I assume the people involved (some of whom I know personally and like) didn't realize the lasting effects and potential costs of what was being done.

You enjoy hunting pigs, so do I, Danny and Barry too. There is right and wrong on both sides of this issue but if you truly believe Barry Estes is trying to stop recreational hunting of them (as if he could) you are dead wrong. He's not perfect, his business isn't either, but we are all living in glass houses here.

The State of AL decided to do the study. Nobody forced them to do it. The intent as I understand it was research. What's wrong with that? The company that got the bid sold them the traps. Were they not supposed to? Who else was going to do it?

The only flaw I see in this is that there isn't 10x as much money spent on research for other invasive species, like Cogongrass.
[/quote

If you really don't know how many companies sell remote trigger traps Google it, It's quite a few.

Do you know how many bids were received ? None

Nothing wrong with them selling the traps, I wish I could buy timber like that, Me being the only bidder.

IMO, The ADCNR has more important issues that they could have use that $600,000 on

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 06/13/16 10:53 AM

The trap has now caught 98 hogs in 13 catches and it is still in the same location waiting on the next catch. I updated the gate with a new model control box with the battery that will last about 2-3 months and I added the new back up battery to the MINE camera so that it will last about 2-3 months. Now more hogs will be caught faster. I love this stuff!!!!
Posted By: hayman

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 06/13/16 08:40 PM

thumbup

Re: The Pig Plot Trap - 06/23/16 01:42 PM

Caught a nice boar Tuesday night in the same trap.

That makes 99 hogs over 14 catches. The trap is still in the same spot.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM