Aldeer.com

when is everyone planting

Posted By: Jwattsmojo

when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 01:22 PM

When is everybody startin on there fall plots and what are you guys planting
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 01:30 PM

I plant 3rd week of September. IMO, NOWHERE in Alabama should be planted before Sept. 15.

I pland WMS Deer Mangnet plus Coker 227 oats.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 01:30 PM

I'm curious as well...I have 2 spots I want to plant for bow season and the rest for gun season...I am curious to the times to plant for each and what seed variety.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Big AL 76
I'm curious as well...I have 2 spots I want to plant for bow season and the rest for gun season...I am curious to the times to plant for each and what seed variety.

If I were you I'd plant my bow plots about the 3rd week of Sept. and my gun plots mid October.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 01:42 PM

We plant the first or second week of September. We then put up stuff to keep the deer out until a few days before bow season. We've been planting at this time for years, even before we bow hunted. 2Dogs got me to try the WMS Deer Magnet and 227 Coker Oats last year. We had great success with it and will be planting it again. I top sowed turnips in those plots for late season attractiveness.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
We plant the first or second week of September. We then put up stuff to keep the deer out until a few days before bow season. We've been planting at this time for years, even before we bow hunted. 2Dogs got me to try the WMS Deer Magnet and 227 Coker Oats last year. We had great success with it and will be planting it again. I top sowed turnips in those plots for late season attractiveness.

Where did you buy your seed?

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 02:05 PM

Riverside Feed and Seed
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 03:48 PM

End of September or beginning of october
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 03:49 PM

I also used wms deer magnet and had good results.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 07:15 PM

3rd sat in Sept, going to jump on the wms bandwagon this year. Hope its as good as yall make it sound !!!!
Posted By: Jwattsmojo

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 07:30 PM

That being said ill try the wms also
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 07:35 PM

I always plant the last week sept or first of oct and my fields are up and going for bow season.
Posted By: bigt

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 07:48 PM

Sometime in the first two weeks of Oct.depending on the weather
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/22/14 08:34 PM

If I could talk the guys I hunt into it, we'd plant the weekend before bow season starts. That's still to early IMO, but there's no way they'd plant after that.

When I plant at home, I plant the end of October, unless we are getting rain in late September. We don't usually get rain in late September.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/23/14 06:19 AM

I plant ahead of a rain event, during September, whether its the first of Sept., or the middle, or the last. Rain dictates when i plant. I don't just pick a day, and say, ok i'm planting today. What your planting, also dictates when you plant. Brassica's should be planted earlier than cereal grains, especially the ones with tubers like turnips, or radish. Planted too late, and they won't produce the desired tuber results. This is why i like to plant my brassica's by themselves. They need nitrogen, as well, so it makes it easier when they're by themselves. Cereal rye, on the other hand, planted too early, can get rank and stemy due to its fast growth. I guess my ideal time wood be the middle to late September, but again rain will dictate.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/23/14 08:51 PM

Probably plant early October. Anyone have a comparison between WMS Alabama Blend and Deer Magnet? I talked to a guy at the deer show and he mentioned Alabama Blend was more for only deer season (but high attractiveness throughout season) and deer magnet was all year. I'm mainly looking for what will draw them hard during the season. Anyone have real experience?

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/23/14 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: M48scout
Probably plant early October. Anyone have a comparison between WMS Alabama Blend and Deer Magnet? I talked to a guy at the deer show and he mentioned Alabama Blend was more for only deer season (but high attractiveness throughout season) and deer magnet was all year. I'm mainly looking for what will draw them hard during the season. Anyone have real experience?

I have plenty of experience with WMS Deer Magnet, both bow and gun season, prolly a dump tuck load of dead uns. Good stuff.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/23/14 09:20 PM

Thanks 2dogs. Do you think Alabama Blend is one notch better (it's more per acre, and different blend) or not worth it to deviate from something known to work?

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/24/14 06:21 AM

Looked at their website. Seems to be good mixes, but unless you live close by, i wouldn't order seed from them. It cost $25 to ship a 50lb bag of seed. My co-op has cereal rye,wheat,oats,every clover you can think of, and brassica's. I'll just mix my own, and put the money i save in fertilizer.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/24/14 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Looked at their website. Seems to be good mixes, but unless you live close by, i wouldn't order seed from them. It cost $25 to ship a 50lb bag of seed. My co-op has cereal rye,wheat,oats,every clover you can think of, and brassica's. I'll just mix my own, and put the money i save in fertilizer.

Most seed stores should have WMS seed.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/24/14 08:32 AM

Our stores up here don't carry them.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/24/14 06:14 PM

Our stores up here don't carry them.

That sux.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/25/14 06:39 AM

It's really not that big of a deal, i like to mix my own, instead of paying somebody else to do it for me.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/25/14 06:49 AM

Going in the ground the weekend of Sept. 20th....
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/26/14 11:02 PM

Not a day earlier than the second weekend of October.

Jackson County
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/29/14 01:09 PM

I plant the 3rd week of september too.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/29/14 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

thumbup I shoot for week 3 if it's too wet, rained out or what ever as soon as possible after.

I'll say it again, IMO, no one should plant before mid September anywhere in Alabama. I used to be a Labor Day weekend planter , stupid on my part, I wasn't bow hunting then. slap Plus one year I planted, got a little shower in a few days. Plots came up looked great. Then it didn't rain a drop for about 3-4 weeks and was hot as hades. Lost all my plots. Lesson learned.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/29/14 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

thumbup I shoot for week 3 if it's too wet, rained out or what ever as soon as possible after.

I'll say it again, IMO, no one should plant before mid September anywhere in Alabama. I used to be a Labor Day weekend planter , stupid on my part, I wasn't bow hunting then. slap Plus one year I planted, got a little shower in a few days. Plots came up looked great. Then it didn't rain a drop for about 3-4 weeks and was hot as hades. Lost all my plots. Lesson learned.

That is why I plant in October. Deer hunting has to be second when it comes to getting things in the ground at the right time. Late Sept. isn't bad but I have seen some real dry Octobers.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/29/14 09:53 PM

I agree with "the later, the better" as a general rule but it depends on other factors too like rainfall and hard mast. We had one greenfield planted in September during a year with good rainfall and lots of hard mast. It got almost shin high before the deer began to hammer it in February when all the other food sources were gone. Conversely, one year we had the fields plowed and disked, waiting on rain. That rain didn't come til early November so that's when we planted. The deer never let it get taller than a putting green. If you plant early during a year of abundant acorns, your fields won't see the traffic that they otherwise would. Deer prefer fresh young tender shoots over thick blades.

If I had a field behind my house, I'd sow seed right before the first rain in November.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/30/14 06:49 AM

Most plants require 30 days before a frost, plant date. Cereal rye, is the only thing i would plant in November. It can grow as long as the temps are 36 degrees or higher, everything else is dormant at that time. You have to let your plants have enough time to grow, or they are not going to do well. Maybe the reason your plot didn't do well was because most plants don't grow well when the temps get low. Follow the directions on the bag, believe me those people know what their talking about.

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/30/14 09:05 AM

Most plants require 30 days before a frost, plant date. Cereal rye, is the only thing i would plant in November. It can grow as long as the temps are 36 degrees or higher, everything else is dormant at that time. You have to let your plants have enough time to grow, or they are not going to do well. Maybe the reason your plot didn't do well was because most plants don't grow well when the temps get low. Follow the directions on the bag, believe me those people know what their talking about.

We usually have a frost in Jackson Co. by Halloween, that's the very reason I shoot for week three of Sept. If I miss it I have always got them in before Oct. 1. Gives them a couple weeks growth before bow season and I can keep the place quiet and surpise them on the 15th. Works for me.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: when is everyone planting - 07/30/14 02:07 PM

Im going to try the WMS deer magnet this year, only got a acre plot or so, wont be able to plant it till the farmers cut the row crop, it sits in the very back of the field surrounded by corn. Im thinkin they will cut it early-mid october, maybe sooner. Hope its enough time for the WMS to grow good
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/19/14 08:53 AM

2nd weekend in Oct.

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/19/14 08:57 AM

I sure hope it rains between now and October...the last few weeks I have had rain all around yet none of it makes it to the club..hoping for late Sept. to first part of Oct..

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/19/14 09:02 PM

I'm gonna throw this out there, take it for what it's worth.

This is one of the worst years for armyworms that I have ever seen or heard about. They are widespread also. I've heard reports from different areas of the state that are the same as we've seen here or even worse.

Folks who plant green fields in early September this year stand a good chance of planting them again in October...

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 06:31 AM

Isn't there a granular pesticide, that you can spread in a plot to keep them out? I've always planted mine right before a rain event whenever that comes in September. Sometimes it's early, sometimes later. I don't just pick a day, and say i'm going to plant. October is the driest month of the year. I've been fortunate, and never had army worms in a food plot. I had them in my garden, one time, when i planted PTT.
Posted By: HoofNSpur

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 06:43 AM

Last weekend in September or First weekend in October.
Posted By: Blessed

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 08:21 AM

I can attest to the army worms they are rampant this year we have sprayed several times trying to kill these things I would recommend planting in October or you may lose it all .

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 10:26 AM

Just an FYI Riverside feed and seed have there yearly seminar Tuesday the 26th at the shop...they will have speaker or 2 and someone from WMS I hear and 10% off seeds and such...also they are serving food but you need to let them know by Saturday so they can have enough grub for everyone...

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 11:26 AM

Is the Riverside, you are referring to, the one in Talladega county?

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 11:31 AM

Isn't there a granular pesticide, that you can spread in a plot to keep them out? I've always planted mine right before a rain event whenever that comes in September. Sometimes it's early, sometimes later. I don't just pick a day, and say i'm going to plant. October is the driest month of the year. I've been fortunate, and never had army worms in a food plot. I had them in my garden, one time, when i planted PTT.

I don't know of any granular products. I've always used AG grade stuff. The problem is most things have very little residual. The good stuff is restricted use so most people aren't going to be able to buy it.

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 11:52 AM

Is the Riverside, you are referring to, the one in Talladega county?

No Tuscaloosa

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 02:59 PM

When I went home for lunch I found 25 more acres of armyworms to spray on our farm today. This makes twice in every hay field we have now, this year.

I have begged our club president to put off planting but I'm afraid it's falling on deaf ears. If we plant Labor Day weekend and the worms get our fields again this year, there will be a BIG I told you so party held in my honor......

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
When I went home for lunch I found 25 more acres of armyworms to spray on our farm today. This makes twice in every hay field we have now, this year.

I have begged our club president to put off planting but I'm afraid it's falling on deaf ears. If we plant Labor Day weekend and the worms get our fields again this year, there will be a BIG I told you so party held in my honor......

Labor day weekend is too damn early, worms or no worms! Why does he wanta plant so early, ya can't even hunt those plots for 6 weeks? crazy It turns off hot and dry for bout 3-4 weeks and he looses them all maybe a light bulb will go off...........for next year.

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/20/14 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: FurFlyin

Labor day weekend is too damn early, worms or no worms! Why does he wanta plant so early, ya can't even hunt those plots for 6 weeks? crazy It turns off hot and dry for bout 3-4 weeks and he looses them all maybe a light bulb will go off...........for next year.

You're exactly right. I never plant at home until October. The problem with our club and most every club is that Labor Day weekend is a long weekend so most everybody can work Saturday and Monday. Has nothing to do with when things need to be done, it's just hard to coordinate 6-8 people with very busy schedules.

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/21/14 06:50 AM

Fur, i bet those busy people will have plenty of time to hunt. Always hard to get people together for workdays, but for some reason, you never have to call those same people to invite them hunting.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/21/14 07:18 AM

Blumsden hit the nail on the head. We have about 70 food plots to plant this year on 7 different tracts of land. It takes all the help you can get and tractors to get it done in 3 weekends.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/21/14 07:22 AM

Blumsden hit the nail on the head. We have about 70 food plots to plant this year on 7 different tracts of land. It takes all the help you can get and tractors to get it done in 3 weekends. There are more hunters in most clubs than there are workers.

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/21/14 12:40 PM

Fur, i bet those busy people will have plenty of time to hunt. Always hard to get people together for workdays, but for some reason, you never have to call those same people to invite them hunting.

I have been in clubs where that was the absolute truth, but not the one I'm in now. It's a small club and each person has been hand selected by the guy who holds the lease. EVERYBODY shows up for the work days. We all do, really have very busy schedules. Four of the members are preachers and those of us who aren't are all very involved in our churches. Throw in there a couple of us owning our own businesses, football season starting which means having kids in the band or playing ball, etc.... and it's just hard to get people together.

The biggest problem that we have is that we're a one tractor show.....
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/21/14 01:12 PM

We have 120 or so plots at the club and usually get them all planted in about 3 days. We have already had guys breaking the fields up so it should just be a light disc seed and cover. We will have 4-6 tractors running every day.
Posted By: JPDavis

Re: when is everyone planting - 08/29/14 09:49 PM

With the North/South hunting zones (we are in the South Zone) the first weekend in October is set as our planting time. Hope we get some rain in October...its seems to be a pretty dry month.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM