Aldeer.com

WMS Pea Patch

Posted By: SharpSpur

WMS Pea Patch - 04/11/24 12:46 PM

Anybody planted it? I know I can mix my own similarly, but I'm not sure I can do it and get all the pieces to the puzzle that's in pea patch locally. So, rather than ship in this or that I'm going to just try it. Probably will have to broadcast it, but might have drill options available I'm checking on. Also wondering if a 2 row planter would works and kind of double plant between rows? Got about 3-4 acres marked off for it. I have some concern on deer density and it growing but have hope the buckwheat will cover the peas and beans enough to establish.

Also is there a pre emerge I can spray down for it?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 04/11/24 02:12 PM

I’ve planted it with great results. But that was before I had a lot of deer.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 04/11/24 02:16 PM

I have had really good luck with clay peas, soybeans, sunn hemp and mix a little buckwheat for cover. You can do it without sunn hemp if you want.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 04/12/24 11:04 PM

Planted around 15 acres of it last year. One spot done really well and the other two got hammered as soon as they sprouted. The drought also didn’t help the situation.
Posted By: CrappieMan

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 04/13/24 06:47 PM

I've planted everything they sell in a bag, then one year I realized I'd be money ahead to feed protein in gravity feeders all summer. Summer plots are gone in a few days in most cases.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 04/14/24 02:10 PM

add another 5-7lbs of vetch to the pea patch. after they wipe out the bigger plants, you will have a crop of vetch for them to eat until the first frost.
Posted By: CNC

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 04/15/24 04:01 PM

Spend the money and effort to improve soil fertility for the fall would be my advice
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/05/24 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by CrappieMan
I've planted everything they sell in a bag, then one year I realized I'd be money ahead to feed protein in gravity feeders all summer. Summer plots are gone in a few days in most cases.

Traditionally, planting is cheaper than sup feeding. But if you have very little area to plant, sup feed is still more expensive, it's just that you don't have enough land to make planting work. Great luck.
Posted By: k bush

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/06/24 01:27 PM

I like it. Planted some this weekend but I added a little more buckwheat since my deer hammer it, a little sunn hemp, some okra and deer vetch & alyce clover. Avoided any sorghum in the mix incase I need to spray crab grass.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/06/24 02:57 PM

wont that buckwheat smother it out?
Posted By: PikeRoadHunter

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/20/24 09:00 PM

Planted WMS Pea Patch in late April. Getting a lot of Johnson grass coming up. Anything that can be sprayed to kill it without killing the pea patch?
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/21/24 01:38 AM

We planted some at the club and the only thing pouncing out of the ground is the buckwheat. Was hoping to see see a little more beans and peas
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/21/24 11:36 AM

Sure the deer aren’t clipping the peas/beans as soon as they germinate? I’ve not seen them fail to get out of the ground in the pea patches I’ve planted.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/21/24 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Sure the deer aren’t clipping the peas/beans as soon as they germinate? I’ve not seen them fail to get out of the ground in the pea patches I’ve planted.

Yep
Posted By: blumsden

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/21/24 01:25 PM

Clethodim for the grass.
Posted By: hallb

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/21/24 03:14 PM

Mines coming up great, hopefully the deer lay off long enough to give it a fighting chance.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/21/24 04:29 PM

Quick spinoff Question about the pea patch…considering planting for a feathering of my fields this fall. Would it come up/be worth waiting till end of sept/first of October to plant this?
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/22/24 01:27 AM

There’s a mile and half long powerline of it. I’m sure.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/22/24 01:30 AM

My vitalize nitro-boost is looking great. I mixed a few more lbs of cowpeas in with them but everything is looking real good.
[Linked Image]

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/26/24 12:46 AM

Here is my pea patch planted a few weeks ago right before that first good rain. I’ll just be happy if I actually see a sunflower but so far looking good. I planted 4.5 acres in 5 different spots. This is usually the stage where they get hammered. That’s egyptian wheat the closest stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pwyse

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/26/24 12:51 AM

That looks pretty good Hal. How long ago? 2-3 weeks?

Re: WMS Pea Patch - 05/26/24 12:58 AM

I can’t recall for sure but it was right before those last 2 good rains. I had already sprayed, mowed, limed and fertilizer…and disked sorry CNC. Only did this in a plot. Mixed my own stuff with more millet in it for the others. I use a firminator.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM