Aldeer.com

Summer/ fall no till rotation?

Posted By: JBray1985

Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/04/24 03:14 PM

Have been looking into adding aeschynomene ( deer vetch) into my summer plots. Have started gravitating towards no till. After a experimenting in small sections in some of my plots I've been pleasantly surprised with the results. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with deer vetch and its reseeding abilities? Thinking of adding it to a sunn hemp, milo, sunn flowers, and cow peas blend this year and then broadcasting my fall blend into it. What kind of negatives if any could I run into adding it to my summer plot program?
Posted By: CNC

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/04/24 03:54 PM

How big are your plots?
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/04/24 04:50 PM

I plant it most years but never had any volunteer the next year.

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/04/24 08:44 PM

Most are +/- 1 acre
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/19/24 09:47 PM

I am not doing milo again. Why don't you add some regular soybeans to that mix? The Sunn hemp and sun flowers and cow peas will give it cover to get up way better than it could alone. I haven't had good luck getting an annual to come back. I will wait and see if the crimson and arrowleaf come back this spring.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/19/24 10:50 PM

I would not plan on it reseeding

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/20/24 12:11 AM

I have done soybeans but normally they're the first thing to get demolished with my limited acreage. I go with Milo to add to my organic matter and to have more carbs for them to nibble on in the late season. I had really good success with it this past year.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 02/28/24 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBray1985
I have done soybeans but normally they're the first thing to get demolished with my limited acreage. I go with Milo to add to my organic matter and to have more carbs for them to nibble on in the late season. I had really good success with it this past year.

If you want organic matter sunn hemp is the way to go.

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 03/07/24 12:10 AM

I already use sunn hemp.

Re: Summer/ fall no till rotation? - 03/07/24 12:11 AM

Plus turkeys and deer love the milo in the fall.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM