Aldeer.com

craig harper spinoff

Posted By: Shaneomac2

craig harper spinoff - 01/04/24 06:25 PM

Any other books yooz guise recommend to get since his stuff is hard to find?
Posted By: k bush

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/04/24 07:39 PM

Podcast from MSU Deer Lab, Wild Turkey Science, Mossy Oak Gamekeepers will all have great habitat information. Dr Harper has been a guest on several episodes with each show.

He has a website through UT Extension and has several pdf articles from Quality Whitetails etc.
Posted By: BAR1225

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/07/24 03:59 AM

What K bush said along with Dr. Grant Woods on Growingdeer.tv on YouTube.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/09/24 12:18 AM

James Kroll, AKA Dr. Deer has some good whitetail management books. Link below.

https://www.drdeer.com/
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/10/24 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BAR1225
What K bush said along with Dr. Grant Woods on Growingdeer.tv on YouTube.

interesting post on his page..

Question: I just watched the newest “how many does to harvest” episode. It seemed like the criteria on annual doe harvest was implied to be based solely on the condition the the conditions you find your in your food plots.

Should there be any consideration on trying to get to the 1:1 buck/doe ratio for the herd? GrowingDeer has been our “North Star” and we want to get things right.

Answer:

A deer herd’s adult sex ratio is certainly an important consideration when managing populations. However, it has a much smaller impact on herd and habitat quality compared to the number of deer compared to the amount of quality forage per deer. In addition, it’s much easier for most folks to make an accurate estimate of the balance between the number of deer and the amount of quality groceries than it is a herd’s adult sex ratio.
Years ago I attended a conference at Texas A&M University about deer genetics. I was prepared to learn about gene sequences, etc. The keynote speaker opened the conference by saying “From a deer management point of view, let me share the three most important things about genetics”. With pencil ready and extreme focus I listened as the speaker said “Nutrition. Nutrition. Nutrition.”
I’ve never forgotten that lesson.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/11/24 03:59 PM

I totally agree -- “Nutrition. Nutrition. Nutrition.”
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/11/24 07:37 PM

It all goes back to habitat.
Posted By: CNC

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/11/24 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock

and soil...... wink
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: craig harper spinoff - 01/11/24 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by Mbrock

and soil...... wink

Yeah that’s the habitat builder! Gotta start with the right foundation.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM