Aldeer.com

Sunflower vs grain sorghum

Posted By: coach2

Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/14/23 11:24 PM

Trying to give the peas some cover…anyone have experience with either?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 12:02 AM

Go with grain sorghum if you have many deer. They will destroy every single sunflower head before maturity. In my experience deer and other critters won’t touch milo until it’s mature.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 12:19 AM

I would mix them both and substitute sorghum for milo. Sorghum and milo maybe the same but I don't think it is
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 12:26 AM

I’ve used both with peas. Deer will eat every sunflower if you have a modest density.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ar1220
I would mix them both and substitute sorghum for milo. Sorghum and milo maybe the same but I don't think it is

It's the same
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 12:40 AM

They do like sunflowers.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 12:58 AM

Have any of you ever used milgoranite?
Posted By: k bush

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by coach2

Worked for about a week...

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 01:07 AM

You could mix Okra and/or Sunn Hemp with the sunflowers/peas for structure and still use Clethodim for grass control.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 01:26 AM

I use sorghum and it helps but last summer they still hammered the peas before they matured. I’m probably just planting chufas everywhere this year
Posted By: Overland

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 04:32 AM

What everybody else said about sunflowers. Even with moderate deer density they will wipe out the sunflowers before the establish. I quit tying to plant them.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 03:55 PM

Plant sunn hemp. The deer will eat it readily, which will take pressure off your peas/beans. Its a great nitrogen fixer, and creates a ton of biomass. The peas can use it to run on. It grows an inch a day and has a deep root system. It's high in protein too. My deer wear it out, but can't over browse it.

I already have my 50 pound bag of it, last year, I waited later to try and order it, and wasn't able to find it for what I was willing to pay.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 03:56 PM

I have also found that if I plant buckwheat, that gives the peas cover. Deer do eat it, and it does fix nitrogren. It's typically done after about 45 days, at which point it wilts and creates biomass.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 04:18 PM

Buckwheat adds phosphorus and will go to seed and resprout. I have triple cropped before when it was planted by itself. Wait till it seeds out, cut it the seeds will resprout and so on. I'm planting a mix of peas, sunn hemp, milo, buckwheat, and maybe a few others.
Posted By: hitek

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by k bush
Originally Posted by coach2

Worked for about a week...

Worked about 2 weeks for me but only had 1 moderate rain.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 09:07 PM

Thanks you guys for your help!!
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 09:45 PM

If you are close to Dothan, AL area there is a guy over that way that has mix called Summer Browz. It has a forage milo, buck wheat, lab-lab and a forage pea. I planted 4 or so acres of it last year. It did really well and overall was pleased with the results. The only thing I did not like was not being able to use a herbicide to control weeds with this mix.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/15/23 10:28 PM

What would you plant with soybeans lockjaw
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 12:32 AM

Another positive about sun hemp it’s a legume so both grass and broadleaf herbicide can be used.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 12:47 AM

Any secrets to keep hogs off of it?
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Squeaky
If you are close to Dothan, AL area there is a guy over that way that has mix called Summer Browz. It has a forage milo, buck wheat, lab-lab and a forage pea. I planted 4 or so acres of it last year. It did really well and overall was pleased with the results. The only thing I did not like was not being able to use a herbicide to control weeds with this mix.

Where did you purchase Squeaky?
Posted By: Paint Rock 00

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 01:54 AM

What can be planted to grow 5-8 ft tall. Stand til jan I’m need a screen crop. I’d be great if it would back every year. Not wanting trees or canes.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Paint Rock 00
What can be planted to grow 5-8 ft tall. Stand til jan I’m need a screen crop. I’d be great if it would back every year. Not wanting trees or canes.

Dog fennel
Posted By: BradB

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 02:48 PM

Teosinate is what you r looking for screen. Tall thick and comes back. DGambler I buy from Dave with the Summer Brows and can message you info if u want.
Posted By: Mully

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DGAMBLER
Originally Posted by Squeaky

Where did you purchase Squeaky?

Sounds like Dave Klein mix...

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jake5050

I think you need to use buckwheat, and then add some clay peas and perhaps sunn hemp. If your deer like sunn hemp, they will wear it out, and it takes pressure off the beans/peas and allows them to grow. The buckwheat will sprout fast, and give cover to keep the deer off the beans/ peas until they get past the 2 leaf stage.

The only soybean I was ever able to plant that the deer didn't just kill were eagle soybeans. But they cost $110/bag. The soybeans I normally plant are Hinson (?) , about $35/bag. I generally mix those in a 3 to 2 ratio with clay peas. Clay peas also seem to keep the deer off soybeans for me. I don't know why, but mine don't seem to key on a clay pea when it sprouts like they do a soybean.

Sunn hemp is now the backbone of what I plant when I do beans/peas. If you want to use some, I would order it now, I had a hard time last year once it got into April/May getting my hands on some.

I don't really worry about weeds when I plant this sort of forage. If you plant it right, it will be so thick, most weeds will get shaded out. I just come back in the fall and broadcast my cereals, brassicas and fertilizer into the standing beans, and let rain take care of the rest.

I still love clover, but with the really bad cold we had, I may be starting over with clover on some of my plots this spring. I generally only want to plant clover in the fall, so it has time to get a root system established by spring.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 03:58 PM

Thank for the info buddy.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jake5050

RR beans and corn. A mix of conventional and forage beans.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/16/23 09:21 PM

That's big money. If you have it then go for it. If you want a forage bean, add lab lab.

I want to be on a rotation where the spring crop puts in the ground what the fall crop needs. And the fall crop puts in what the spring crop needs. Hopefully getting away from needing to buy fertilizer twice a year. Urea was half my foot plot expense last fall.
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/17/23 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by BradB
Teosinate is what you r looking for screen. Tall thick and comes back. DGambler I buy from Dave with the Summer Brows and can message you info if u want.

Sounds good, please do.
Posted By: Paint Rock 00

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/17/23 12:53 AM

BradB pm to ya would like seed info.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/18/23 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by blumsden
Buckwheat adds phosphorus and will go to seed and resprout. I have triple cropped before when it was planted by itself. Wait till it seeds out, cut it the seeds will resprout and so on. I'm planting a mix of peas, sunn hemp, milo, buckwheat, and maybe a few others.

Blum... you got a ratio of what seeds you use per acre?

That sounds like a good mix and I have 2 spots each about 2 acres that need some help. Poor soil and pH of around 7.5-8.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/19/23 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by blumsden

Summer Release by GreenCover?

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/20/23 06:09 PM

I am going to do you all a solid. You don't need to spend big $ to get a "summer release" blend. This place is in Trussville over by the horse track.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/20/23 09:11 PM

OH WOW. May hit them up soon!!

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/20/23 09:15 PM

I ordered 10 bags of house salad. I have a 50 pound bag of sunn hemp and Sorghum already. Since I have good stands of clover, these are just going to supplement on some of my fields.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/21/23 02:10 PM

Those are not that cheap those are 20-25 lb bags. If you are looking to save money mix your own

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/21/23 03:00 PM

Green cover summer release is $71 for a 24 lb bag. So by comparison, these are a bargain. Just buy some legume innoculent off amazon and go. One you do innoculent, I don't think you have to keep doing it, you just want to get the beneficial bacteria in your soil.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/26/23 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by BradB
Those are not that cheap those are 20-25 lb bags. If you are looking to save money mix your own

By the look of the price per pound, mixing your own doesn’t save you any money! They are doing the labor for you!

Yes, these are 20lb bags, but the seed averages $1.00 per pound pre mixed, so the cost is the same.

Re: Sunflower vs grain sorghum - 02/26/23 09:33 PM

The accountant tried to mix his seed last fall and couldn't make it work. ;-)
© 2024 ALDEER.COM