Aldeer.com

Check Fields

Posted By: Stoney

Check Fields - 10/24/22 02:23 PM

I am going to check our 24 green fields tomorrow, hopefully ahead of rain and put out some clover and throw and grow where needed. All are up, but most need a little more in spots. Lots of rain coming Tuesday afternoon and night in Coosa County
Posted By: hayman

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 12:18 AM

Just checked some today that were planted 10 days ago and they are sprouting in the shaded areas. Should be fine if we get some rain soon.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 12:46 AM

Worst ours have ever looked. We reseeded some 40 bags today.

Don’t know what or why, maybe just dry, but some looked like they had never been planted. And trust me, we put our PLENTY of seed before that 2” rain 10 days ago.

Hoping we hit it right and get this rain tomorrow and again this weekend.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 3FFarms
Worst ours have ever looked. We reseeded some 40 bags today.

Don’t know what or why, maybe just dry, but some looked like they had never been planted. And trust me, we put our PLENTY of seed before that 2” rain 10 days ago.

Hoping we hit it right and get this rain tomorrow and again this weekend.

Ours look the same. I think the turkeys cleaned is out.

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 01:25 AM

3FFarms, how long before the rain 10 days ago did you plant?
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 02:25 AM

I planted a field back in September. It’s had 4 or 5 rains on it. Was looking really good til yesterday. Looks like someone turned a huskyvarment weed eater loose in it…
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 02:50 AM

Watched 20 turkeys for a hour Sunday morning. Hoping this rain helps our fields.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stoney
3FFarms, how long before the rain 10 days ago did you plant?

Planted 10/10 and best I remember it rained on evening of 10/12.

Throw and mow on everything that day, which we’ve done in the past. We did need to bust a few fields but were unable to do so before the rain on 10/12. We planted those busted fields today as well.

Will update this in about a week and see how we’re doing. I’m chalking most of it up to incredibly dry planting conditions and one seeder that should be embarrassed to call itself anything more than a paperweight.
Posted By: hayman

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 03:06 AM

I disk my fields and just spread the seed on top. Didn’t cover them in any way. Kinda surprised that they are sprouting without having any rain since planting. Luckily there aren’t many turkeys on the place.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 07:35 PM

If it weren't for the clover I had out, my deer wouldn't be eating much. I planted ahead of that rain too, and some stuff has sprouted, but dang, I think I may end up having to go back with some wheat or rye.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 08:09 PM

For those having problems, how much rain did yall get out of that last system? We planted 3 days before the rain, covered it about 1" with a drag, then got 2-3" of rain three days later and all my stuff was looking fantastic last week. Probably the best germination I've had in 30 yrs of planting fields. This rain coming this afternoon and tonight will only help.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Check Fields - 10/25/22 10:56 PM

I planted the weekend after that big rain. As of this past weekend it was starting to pop on up. This rain and what’s coming up should do the trick nicely.

Re: Check Fields - 10/26/22 02:27 PM

Walked our fields yesterday and put out clover and Throw n Grow with a hand spreader where needed. We planted about two weeks ago and fields were up about 85 %. Hopefully with the rain last night and hopefully Sat. we will be fine in Coosa County
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Check Fields - 10/31/22 02:39 PM

My neighbors on both sides had already planted a few weeks back... their plots look like total crap IMO. Really bad.

I planted this weekend right ahead of the rain. I had decent moisture in my soil. This was what I was looking for. I like it to be just dry enough it won't ball up in your hand but still have enough moisture that when you disk you can see the moisture in the dirt. I have no idea how to scientifically tell you what that moisture content is everyone's soil is different I only know through trail and error how I want it. So everything went in great and got covered. Then we had a good soaking rain right being this which was not a hard enough rain to wash any seed but enough to firm the soil a bit which makes the germination better and was best case scenario for the fertilizer. The daytime temps are going to be a little hot for my taste looking at the 10 day forecast I"m seeing high 70's. I don't like that. BUT I am seeing 60's at the end of the 10 day which I am really liking that changeover if it will actually happen. I usually does around the end of October each and every year we go into more of what I refer to as a late fall weather pattern for a few weeks.. What I am hoping is that the fields germinate and then we go into that 60's and 40's weather pattern and that IMO is best case scenario. Those are the optimal temps IMO for planting food plots. I feel like I can make it work in colder temps but this is best case scenario.

I'm feeling really good about the near $3k I threw out on the ground the last couple days. Failure is not an option for me due to the time involved as much as anything.

I couldn't be happier right now.

Re: Check Fields - 10/31/22 06:27 PM

Mine looked a lot better after the rain last week and I put some Urea out. I broadcast some black oats friday and saturday, so hoping with the rain over the weekend those will come out. I still have 3 or 4 bags left. They don't spread well in a solo spreader. Takes forever.
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 01:25 AM

Here is one of my mow and throw clover patches. I've had less than 1/2 rain in the last 2 months. The clover fields did much better then the plot mixes did. I going to spray it with liquid fertilizer tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kntree

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 02:09 AM

Looks thick. What rate did you seed?
Posted By: CNC

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 02:10 PM

Looks nice! thumbup
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kntree
Looks thick. What rate did you seed?

I planted 9 lbs per acre of the WMS Perennial Plus. It has Ladino Clovers, White Clovers, Red Clovers, and Chicory. I also over seeded some of my other plot with about 3-4 lbs per acre.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 09:58 PM

My fields were little skimpy last weekend but I thought 1 more week and rain should do it - they looked good this weekend when I checked. I planted 10-10 - latest I ever planted
Love looking at new green fields and seeing them grow and watch deer hammering them
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 10:12 PM

I planted about the same time Tdog. My rye is just now up good. My brassicas are up but growing slow. My crimson clover has come back since then and its growing really well. The arrowleaf i planted last year isnt coming back so i top seeded that area with wheat and white dutch clover, because i had the clover seed left over from last year and wheat is cheap and comes up easy. It has definitely been a struggle this year but it seems to be turning around. My clover that has been there all along has been getting hammered. Im sure with the rye up and the crimson clover growing good now, my year round clover will be able to grow much better now. Im pretty sure with some regular rain, by the end of the month my food plots will look really good.

Re: Check Fields - 11/06/22 11:51 PM

^^^
I show multiple rains coming in next 2 weeks and cool weather
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Check Fields - 11/07/22 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by TDog93
^^^
I show multiple rains coming in next 2 weeks and cool weather

Thats what we really need
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Check Fields - 11/09/22 03:01 AM

All we need is rain and sunshine and it'll be fine.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Check Fields - 11/09/22 03:43 AM

Timed mine perfect. Rained after planting, and all looks good.

Re: Check Fields - 11/10/22 02:42 PM

Mine are thickening up nicely. I still have 3 bags of oats I can plant, and it doesn't look like I can get out ahead of this rain.

Re: Check Fields - 11/10/22 03:17 PM

A real good rain today will make our 24 fields for this year with weather cooling off also.

Re: Check Fields - 11/14/22 03:28 PM

Mine look REALLY good. Like a green Neon Sign. Planted last weekend of October as I do every year.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Check Fields - 11/14/22 04:07 PM

Mine is looking good. Real good really and they getting eat pretty good
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 12:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 12:53 AM

[Linked Image]
Ours look good but I feel like our deer density is really low. Fields are already taller than I like, but us planting in September may play into it some.

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 02:07 AM

Deer have mine ate down to the nub.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Life

^^^This^^^
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 12:55 PM

There’s so many acorns here they are barely hitting ours.

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 01:09 PM

Our area had a drought back when acorns needed it the most. They’ve bout got the acorns cleaned up around the fields and edges and working on grass already.
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 08:10 PM

Mine have came up good but not being ate down near what I expected. But deer numbers have dropped a lot due to roaming dogs I do believe

Re: Check Fields - 11/15/22 10:25 PM

Fields higher than normal on some fields

At an awesome spot today - first time sit - usually that means 10-15 does and 3-4 rack bucks early season at this spot - at 4:25 I seen zip

They were in here heavy a month ago
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Check Fields - 11/16/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Originally Posted by Ridge Life

^^^This^^^

Same here. They look really good just ate down
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Check Fields - 11/17/22 12:17 PM

I was nervous about not having a rain when I planted for damn near 4 weeks, but they look better than ever now. My powerline looks like a field on Drury outdoors
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Check Fields - 11/24/22 03:34 PM

I have never seen my fields in Bibb co eat down to dirt like they are now

Re: Check Fields - 11/24/22 08:07 PM

Mine are finally getting ate down pretty good.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Check Fields - 11/25/22 12:20 AM

My plots look great, inside the exclusion cages rofl Glad to hear others are experiencing the same...

Re: Check Fields - 11/26/22 02:43 PM

Mine are being eaten pretty good. The established clover plots are handling the traffic well though. Just touched up a couple and added urea before this last rain. Hoping that it rains again tonight.

If I could keep dang turkeys off the fields, some of this seed might germinate.....
Posted By: k bush

Re: Check Fields - 11/26/22 09:10 PM

[Linked Image]

Those cages tell the tale

Re: Check Fields - 11/28/22 07:30 PM

Still looking awesome and full of does..... Will probably top sow some N before mid-December. I have a lot of big plots so browsing pressure certainly knocks them back but still plenty of greenery around the property.

Re: Check Fields - 11/29/22 12:20 AM

Gonna fertilize tomorrow after work
Posted By: BradB

Re: Check Fields - 11/29/22 08:45 PM

Beat ya to it. Just got in from fertilizing most of my plots. Did not have quite enough fertilizer to finish.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: Check Fields - 11/29/22 09:39 PM

I put ammonium nitrate on my 3 fields right before the rain Saturday and they have exploded. Now I just need somemore deer donated to my area lol

Re: Check Fields - 11/30/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by BradB
Beat ya to it. Just got in from fertilizing most of my plots. Did not have quite enough fertilizer to finish.

Beat me by 2 hours, lol. I had to finish up with triple 13 myself.

Re: Check Fields - 11/30/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by jake5050
I put ammonium nitrate on my 3 fields right before the rain Saturday and they have exploded. Now I just need somemore deer donated to my area lol

Same here brother!
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Check Fields - 11/30/22 04:09 AM

I put 33-0-0 on my fields yesterday. This rain should do them some good. Maybe I’ll see a difference in a week or so.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Check Fields - 11/30/22 01:54 PM

If y'all got rain anything close to what I did here your fertilizer is probably halfway to the gulf of mexico by now..... grin
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Check Fields - 12/04/22 01:49 PM

Mine look good , lots of use. I'll put 100-150 lbs 33-0-0 per acre on mine in about a week . They'll be in great shape for rut.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Check Fields - 12/04/22 09:15 PM

Heck we just put 20-3-5 on ours yesterday. First application. Deer are already killing them. They’ll be in fine shape when things get crazy by the end of the month.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Check Fields - 12/04/22 11:47 PM

I checked mine today. Been a week since I put out 33-0-0. Looks amazing. Deer have been in my foodplots since they first came up the last week of September.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM