Aldeer.com

Pure Brassica Plot

Posted By: BradB

Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 02:13 PM

I have always planted them as part of my fall plots but they have never done much because I usually plant late, in October., and they need more time to grow full size. Since I am fixing to actually live there and will be able to plant when I want, I am going to do a field of straight Brassica, just to see what the deer response would be. What time would be best to plant them so they can get full size and what varieties have you guys had success with.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 02:23 PM

First week or two in September
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 04:23 PM

They consume alot of resources, so you should plan on coming back about 45 days or so after planting and adding more fertilizer. Otherwise they will start to yellow. At least in my experience.

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 04:46 PM

I know they like their Nitrogen. The field had decent Ph and was heavily limed about 3 months ago so that will help.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 04:51 PM

I have never used a pure stand on one plot, but I used to plant the middle of plots with brassica. My favorite was sodbuster radish, t-raptor rape, and bayou kale. On the same lease I had brassica eaten to the ground and 800 yards away, I could see no browse. I planted brassica first week of September and then hit the rest around the first of October and fertilized the brassica the same day.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 05:45 PM

It is not a total brassica, it is a blend, but these two will more than do what you are trying to do

Buck Busters Fall Blend
WMS Deer Magnant

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/04/22 11:12 PM

I would be curious on your results Brad. I hate your summer plot didn't work out again. I've also got some buddies I wouldn't rely on to plant the way I like to.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/05/22 12:17 AM

Wms has a brassica blend I’ve had success with but never in a pure stand, always places with grains and clover.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/05/22 02:02 AM

I don't like grains and brassica in the immediate spot because of the use of nitrogen. I do put clover with the brassica though and also with the grains.
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/05/22 04:20 AM

Don’t buy the blends. Especially if they got cereals with the brassicas.

Forage Rape. Sow it short before you over sow. Spacing is everything
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/05/22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
I have always planted them as part of my fall plots but they have never done much because I usually plant late, in October., and they need more time to grow full size. Since I am fixing to actually live there and will be able to plant when I want, I am going to do a field of straight Brassica, just to see what the deer response would be. What time would be best to plant them so they can get full size and what varieties have you guys had success with.

I’d plant early to mid September. Radish and rape seem to do very well if they get rain.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/05/22 11:59 PM

Youll need pretty good rain. Date dont matter but it needs to rain regularly if you want it to be knee high. It will look like crap in drought situation
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/06/22 08:22 PM

That T-raptor was cool stuff. I grew it last year in a mix with daikon, Purple tops, rape, and some peas. Neat looking leaf and they actually made a decent bowl of greens.

My deer loved my brassicas last year. It was wild to see them eating turnips like apples.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/08/22 02:43 AM

Brad as a few suggested, I’d plant early September in our climate to get a good stand. Will be dependent on rain as September and October can be dry.

I have had good luck with the WMS brassica mix they offer. I also plant canola which is available through tecomate. The canola has performed well for me over the last few years. It’s not a bitter as the brassica and I see earlier usage before hard frost/freeze that the brassica needs to sweeten them up.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/08/22 11:55 AM

I planted two fields last season in brassicas and the deer didnt hit them well at all
They looked good but were mostly avoided by deer.....I wont do it again
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/08/22 01:10 PM

Sometimes the deer don't take the them right away.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/09/22 03:07 PM

It's better to introduce brassica to deer in a mix, so they get used to them, before doing all brassica. Same happened to me 20 years ago.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/10/22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Youll need pretty good rain. Date dont matter but it needs to rain regularly if you want it to be knee high. It will look like crap in drought situation

Best piece of advise so far.
Posted By: stl32

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/10/22 07:44 PM

Get ready for army worms planting in Sept.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Pure Brassica Plot - 08/24/22 01:17 PM

I plant have my fields in WMS Deer Magnant and have some in Buck Busters Fall Bleed. Both are real good mixes in 50 lb bags, 1 ac. and both have a good mix of brassica seed, clover and several other fall and spring seeds. By planting more than one seed you keep the deer moving around, It is like steak in one field and catfish in another. I also use some WMS No Till to get to small fields. just use a good hard rake.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM