Aldeer.com

adding Lime

Posted By: Shaneomac2

adding Lime - 07/18/22 07:09 PM

Is there better times of the year to add lime to your plots? I have a few small plots and was wondering after i bush hogged could i spread lime then plant right after?
Posted By: BradB

Re: adding Lime - 07/18/22 07:30 PM

Any time is good for lime. Works slow and works best when incorporated into the soil. It will be many months before any real benefit with ag lime, faster with pellet.
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: adding Lime - 07/18/22 09:10 PM

I saw better production last fall, than the fall prior which is when I put out ag lime. If you can add it then add it.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: adding Lime - 07/18/22 09:58 PM

Ag lime is by far the best cost and does a great job for at least 3 to 4 yrs if you put enough down. It takes Ag lime awhile to break down. I always put it down in the spring and it is ready by fall and again last for several years. Pellet lime is easier and a lot cheaper and if disk ed in can be put down in the fall. It only last for a year or two most times.
Ag is better and cheaper, pellet is more costly and last not as long.

Sometimes it depends on the equipment you have to put it out.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stoney
Ag lime is by far the best cost and does a great job for at least 3 to 4 yrs if you put enough down. It takes Ag lime awhile to break down. I always put it down in the spring and it is ready by fall and again last for several years. Pellet lime is easier and a lot cheaper and if disk ed in can be put down in the fall. It only last for a year or two most times.

How is one better then the other? I ask because they are the same thing. One has a substance added to make small pellets the other is plain powder.
Posted By: hayman

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

How is one better then the other? I ask because they are the same thing. One has a substance added to make small pellets the other is plain powder.

One cost way more than the other.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by hayman
Originally Posted by Turkey_neck

One cost way more than the other.

Well if someone would bring their lime truck to the house I’d find that out. 😁

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 01:12 PM

in 2020 I spent $491.22 on ag lime, and the scales say I got 24 tons. I spent another $182 on a 2 ton dump trailer rental. At $4/bag, that would only be 6,850 pounds of pellet lime.

24 tons of ag lime isn't a whole lot when you start spreading it. When I have put out pellet lime, even with a 3pt spreader, it takes a while. I want to buy an ag lime spreader. But I don't have room in my garage for any more equipment.

My soil tests called for 2 to 2.5 tons of ag lime per acre. I misjudged my field sizes and probably didn't need 24 tons, but, they have lime. I am going to soil test again next spring.

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 01:19 PM

Oh wow. 2-2.5 an acre seems like alot. I need to get my soil tests in and go from there i reckon.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 01:28 PM

If u you ou have Sandy soil it will always call for more lime. It’s not unusual for Sandy soul PH to be in the 4.0’s.
You use what you can get Ag lime is getting harder to come by.

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 03:13 PM

I rented a large spreader [ held 5 tons at a time from a Co=Op and bought 24 tons of lime from them which they brought to my club and dumped for me. Then I used a front end loader on a tractor to load the spreader and then connected tractor to the spreader and went to fields. We put out about 1.5 tons per acre. Repeated this time after time until we got all green fields covered. Had about 3 tons left which we covered and used a little at a time later.

Never found any Co-Op or seed and feed store that would come on hunting club land and spread it. Was grateful to find someone to deliver it to us and rent us the spreader.

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
Oh wow. 2-2.5 an acre seems like alot. I need to get my soil tests in and go from there i reckon.

All my plots I tested were 4.5 to 5.4 in PH. At that low, fertilizer is a waste of money. The 5.4 one I had put liquid lime on, which is probably why it was that high. It called for 1.5 tons per acre. All the other fields were 2 to 2.5 tons per acre. I rented a 2 ton dump trailer and a couple scoops was 2 tons. Thankfully the quarry was about 9 miles away from my club, but you definitely want a 4wd truck, I made my first field drop fine, drop number 2, stuck. Drove 2 wd tundra home and got the 4wd one, and no problems.

I would also say don't go to the quarry when its raining either. Wet ag lime is slick!!

Re: adding Lime - 07/19/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lockjaw

All my plots I tested were 4.5 to 5.4 in PH. At that low, fertilizer is a waste of money. The 5.4 one I had put liquid lime on, which is probably why it was that high. It called for 1.5 tons per acre. All the other fields were 2 to 2.5 tons per acre. I rented a 2 ton dump trailer and a couple scoops was 2 tons. Thankfully the quarry was about 9 miles away from my club, but you definitely want a 4wd truck, I made my first field drop fine, drop number 2, stuck. Drove 2 wd tundra home and got the 4wd one, and no problems. I think their scale was off too, because they had my tare weight at over 7K pounds, for the double cab tundra, but only 5.5K for the access cab. One load I hauled out was 15K pounds total weight.

I would also say don't go to the quarry when its raining either. Wet ag lime is slick!!

Posted By: redgineer

Re: adding Lime - 07/20/22 05:02 AM

Anybody ever use hardwood ash? I've been thinking about adding lime like a poor lol.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: adding Lime - 07/20/22 05:17 AM

I just put out 73 or 74 bags of pelletized lime from Lowe's and it wasn't bad at all with my tractor spreader. Ask for the 70 because that's what a pallet comes in and chances are it will be more like what I got. I would put 9 to 10 40 pound bags in at a time and I think I was done in 1.5 hrs
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by redgineer
Anybody ever use hardwood ash? I've been thinking about adding lime like a poor lol.

Lime is about $35/ton. Even poor kids can afford that
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 02:55 AM

I poured the lime to my fields last year and I was able to cut way back on fertilizer. I’m about to haul another dump truck load up and do it again.

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

35 dollars a ton?
Posted By: redgineer

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 04:43 PM

35 dollars a ton?

I'm also trying to buy as little as possible to reduce my dependence on supply chains. I'll be out there this weekend burying trash fish for fertilizer lol. I'm not expecting much success this year, just hoping I learn enough to be better at it next year.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 06:08 PM

35 dollars a ton?

Plus whatever it costs to have it delivered to your property. Normally by a 20 yd tri-axle dump.

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 07:20 PM

well unless the delivery fee is outrageous, thats definitely the way to go. A bag of pellet lime is 5.99 for 40 lb bag so.............
Posted By: k bush

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 08:12 PM

well unless the delivery fee is outrageous, thats definitely the way to go. A bag of pellet lime is 5.99 for 40 lb bag so.............

And $300/ton is still way cheaper than fertilizer right now

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 09:28 PM

The 70 bags I bought from Lowes was 341 dollars for 2800 pds. That is high as hell but your only option on hard to reach fields. I had a lime truck come out here in Elmore County and t was like 220 for 2 fraking tons spread. I think the price they quoted me for 3 or 4 tons with the buggy rental was 200 or a little less at the coop in Wetumpka

Re: adding Lime - 07/21/22 10:50 PM

Did the CO-OP in Wetumpka deliver the lime for you? What about the buggy, did you pick it up or did they deliver it?

Re: adding Lime - 07/22/22 04:20 AM

I just got quoted a price on the buggy I haven't done it yet. When I had it spread it was by their lime truck

Re: adding Lime - 07/22/22 05:16 PM

I put out 22 tons this summer and got it spread for $38/ton. Got my big field and two plots near it done. Unfortunately the rest cannot be spread by a truck.

Re: adding Lime - 07/22/22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jake5050
I just got quoted a price on the buggy I haven't done it yet. When I had it spread it was by their lime truck

A buggy wont spread ag lime, which is $35/ton. It will spread pelletized lime, which is $160/ton

Re: adding Lime - 07/22/22 10:30 PM

Where are you buying Pelletized lime for 160 a ton?

Re: adding Lime - 07/23/22 12:32 AM

No kidding I need that hookup, 160 is good for pelletized lime a ton

Re: adding Lime - 07/23/22 04:01 PM

No kidding I need that hookup, 160 is good for pelletized lime a ton

Same…
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: adding Lime - 07/23/22 08:12 PM

Co-ops (most) will deliver lime by the truck load for about $2 per loaded mile. That means you pay the $2 per mile for just them getting there with the load, not round trip. If you rent a buggy it is $50-$100 per day, depending on if you also bought the lime from the co-op. Ag lime should run you $35-$40/ton.

Re: adding Lime - 07/23/22 10:06 PM

Good info jwillinfi
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: adding Lime - 07/24/22 04:18 PM

A buggy wont spread ag lime, which is $35/ton. It will spread pelletized lime, which is $160/ton

A lime buggy made for specifically for spreading lime works like a champ but you need a 70 hp or bigger tractor to pull it

Re: adding Lime - 07/24/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Where are you buying Pelletized lime for 160 a ton?

Co op in oneonta. It might be a little higher now. I bought a ton two years ago, it was less than that then

Re: adding Lime - 07/24/22 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer

A lime buggy made for specifically for spreading lime works like a champ but you need a 70 hp or bigger tractor to pull it

Never heard of such. I bought a 8ft drop spreader a few months ago to spread lime and slag in our peach orchard. Should hold 1000lb i guess. I havent used it yet. Decided to wait till fall
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: adding Lime - 07/24/22 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ronfromramer

Never heard of such. I bought a 8ft drop spreader a few months ago to spread lime and slag in our peach orchard. Should hold 1000lb i guess. I havent used it yet. Decided to wait till fall

If you get ag lime from a co op, they should have a lime buggy, or they can spread it with their truck. I spread pellet lime with my tractor and cyclone spreader. Best I can do on pelletized lime is is about $225-250/ ton. Last ag lime we had spread was 75 tons at about $30/ton from Troy Co op. They spread about 2/3 of it with their truck and we did the rest with their buggy and a 75 hp tractor

Re: adding Lime - 07/25/22 07:31 PM

Pelletized lime today From Lowes 244.00 a ton. With the 10 % bulk discount.

Re: adding Lime - 07/25/22 07:49 PM

I wonder if they could stick a ton of pellet lime in one of those big bag things they load feed on?

Re: adding Lime - 07/25/22 08:51 PM

I wonder if they could stick a ton of pellet lime in one of those big bag things they load feed on?

Probably but I don’t know anyone who sells it in bulk form. What I bought was in bags.
Posted By: hallb

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 01:01 AM

Why does it take such a big tractor to spread with a lime buggy from the coop? Have done fertilizer in a buggy from the coop with a 5065e with no problems and the buggies all look the same to me??
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 01:17 AM

In the terrain that I hunt my 75 will barely pull one loaded with lime. Last year we had to hook a skid steer to my tractor just to climb the hills when we had the buggy loaded

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by hallb
Why does it take such a big tractor to spread with a lime buggy from the coop? Have done fertilizer in a buggy from the coop with a 5065e with no problems and the buggies all look the same to me??

Weight! A lime buggy will hold 4 or 5 tons.

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 03:49 AM

Ok so it’s not the buggy or how it works, it’s the weight. I could do a smaller amount fine. Seems like the last fertilizer buggy load I did was 2.5 tons and the tractor did fine. Always had the luxury of Pike coop spreading the lime but now that I am in a different area won’t have that. But I’ve also got a lot less acres of plots I’m working with now.

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 02:53 PM

I called about the lime truck, and the lady said they couldn't turn it around on a half acre field. So I am back to either spreading ag lime by hand, or pellets. I guess I could run dry lime through my 3 pt spreader too.

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 04:16 PM

I called about the lime truck, and the lady said they couldn't turn it around on a half acre field. So I am back to either spreading ag lime by hand, or pellets. I guess I could run dry lime through my 3 pt spreader too.

Maybe, barely if you have the agitator wheel and the lime is really dry. Or have a Sides spreader

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 05:23 PM

If you are desperate do what I did. Get 10 tons delivered, load it about 1/2 ton at a time on the back of a trailer attached to Polaris. Drive very slowly through plot while your hired help stands in trailer blowing lime out with backpack blower.

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 05:26 PM

For those of you who get ag lime delivered in bulk, what are you using to spread it?

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 05:30 PM

Buggy from co-op is about the only thing. Unless you have lots of discretionary income and a buy your own small spreader designed for ag lime. They are pricy though.

Re: adding Lime - 07/27/22 06:48 PM

Two years ago when I limed, I used a 5 ton buggy pulled by a tractor for most of the fields, but for some of the small ones that a buggy had a hard time getting to, I got a small buggy that would hold about 500 lbs at a time that could be pulled by a good size ATV from an Auburn Extension center.They have them at several of their rural Extension Centers. They let me use it for two days at no cost. Just had to be used in the county I picked it up in. A co-op brought the lime and dumped it and we filled up the buggy with shovels. You could pull it almost anywhere an ATV would go.
Might be worth checking into
Posted By: 270wsm

Re: adding Lime - 07/28/22 01:52 PM

Anyone ever use one of these? My dad just bought one to lime a couple of hard to access plots on his place. We plan on pulling with Ranger.

[Linked Image]

Re: adding Lime - 07/28/22 02:48 PM

That looks almost exactly like the one I used from the Auburn Extension Center in my post above. Need at minimum a 450cc ATV if full
Posted By: abolt300

Re: adding Lime - 07/28/22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 270wsm
Anyone ever use one of these? My dad just bought one to lime a couple of hard to access plots on his place. We plan on pulling with Ranger.

[Linked Image]

What did he pay for that and where'd he get it? Im assuming it has a rolling agitator over the drop?
Posted By: 270wsm

Re: adding Lime - 07/28/22 07:04 PM

Bought "used" from a friend that never actually used it. I think new they're $2400. http://www.lillimer.com/home.asp
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: adding Lime - 07/29/22 12:00 AM

I Spread Lime with a Co-Op Buggy behind a Deuce and a Half. Doesn't matter how steep.....Wet th' Area.....that Bo-Hawg will Pull It!!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: adding Lime - 07/30/22 12:42 PM

I think they are BSn you, or they need another driver.

Re: adding Lime - 07/30/22 01:29 PM

Generally just tell them to bring the product and let them figure out how to get it spread when they get here. Ive had them in some tight places and steep places. I always ride with them to make sure it goes where i want it and i can tell them about anything they need to watch out for. If they get to your place with a loaded truck, theyre not taking it back with them if theres any way possible to spread it
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: adding Lime - 07/30/22 03:40 PM

Generally just tell them to bring the product and let them figure out how to get it spread when they get here. Ive had them in some tight places and steep places. I always ride with them to make sure it goes where i want it and i can tell them about anything they need to watch out for. If they get to your place with a loaded truck, theyre not taking it back with them if theres any way possible to spread it

Easier to get forgiveness .

Re: adding Lime - 07/31/22 12:48 AM

Troy coop used to have a fellow named Felix he didn’t give a chit he’d run that spreader truck anywhere. Had to pull him out of a ditch next to a sloppy wet food plot one time. 4wd kubota m9500 and a couple of chains. Can’t believe I got him out.

Re: adding Lime - 07/31/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

I think they are BSn you, or they need another driver.

I sort of suspect that too. I have seen the lime truck the coop in columbiana had. If this is the same size, he should be able to make it work on my plots I want lime on. I am going to swing by the pell city coop on the way home from taking the kids to see the grandparents, and see what I can see.

Re: adding Lime - 07/31/22 05:11 PM

I want a ground buster drop spreader.

Re: adding Lime - 08/04/22 06:52 PM

so I got my soil tests back, I need about 5 tons of lime. I can get it from the Greenville coop for $60 a ton and that will include use of the buggy. I'm about 35 miles away. My place is pretty flat with just a few slight inclines, nothing major...and dry as long as it hasn't rained in the last 24 hours. I have a 5065e cab tractor with a front end loader. Trying to decide if I should go for it in one shot or break it up into 2 trips. What say ya'll?

Re: adding Lime - 08/04/22 08:33 PM

so I got my soil tests back, I need about 5 tons of lime. I can get it from the Greenville coop for $60 a ton and that will include use of the buggy. I'm about 35 miles away. My place is pretty flat with just a few slight inclines, nothing major...and dry as long as it hasn't rained in the last 24 hours. I have a 5065e cab tractor with a front end loader. Trying to decide if I should go for it in one shot or break it up into 2 trips. What say ya'll?

Easy decision. Two trips!!!
Posted By: olemossy

Re: adding Lime - 08/20/22 01:22 PM

That's exactly what i need. Putting out 5 tons today. Here in Lee Co its about $70 ton spread with AG lime.
Posted By: BullMountain

Re: adding Lime - 08/21/22 02:29 PM

5 tons and the weight of a buggy with no brakes is hard on a 1/2 ton truck to pull before you hook it to your tractor. I would break it into two loads. If you have a bigger truck you could pull the 5 tons and start spreading on the flattest ground first to lighten the load for your tractor.
Posted By: 4Him146

Re: adding Lime - 08/21/22 06:37 PM

I would split it up in half. I’ve hauled many of their buggy’s and 4 tons is about all you can do.

Re: adding Lime - 08/23/22 03:30 PM

I left the quarry last year in my 2005 DC tundra with a 2 ton dump trailer loaded with lime and my total weight was 15K pounds. Truck weighs a little over 5K and I doubt the trailer was more than 2K.

It didn't have any trouble pulling it. But you knew it was back there.

5 tons of ag lime is not very much. I hauled 24 tons of it in about 9 trips.

Re: adding Lime - 08/23/22 08:15 PM

I left the quarry last year in my 2005 DC tundra with a 2 ton dump trailer loaded with lime and my total weight was 15K pounds. Truck weighs a little over 5K and I doubt the trailer was more than 2K.

It didn't have any trouble pulling it. But you knew it was back there.

5 tons of ag lime is not very much. I hauled 24 tons of it in about 9 trips.

How did you spread it? I'm not worried about getting it from the coop to my property.

Re: adding Lime - 08/24/22 01:56 AM

If it’s not stored under a barn and you have got the amount of rain we have lately, there’s no way I’d try to spread it. Got the t/shirt on that one.

Guy at co-op swore it was dry enough to spread. Naturally no shovel, by myself and could only find a steel fence post to bust through after it bridged over the drag chain. Quick job took most of the day.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM