Aldeer.com

Spreader

Posted By: Huntnwork

Spreader - 08/23/21 02:21 PM

Just wondering what everyone uses to put out smaller seed and primarily adding fertilizer after fields have started growing. I’ve always planted with a atv spreader but I usually use a handheld bag spreader to put out my smaller seeds afterwards and to add fertilizer later on a month or so after planting. I’ve never liked the idea of riding back thru them with the 4wheeler.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Spreader - 08/23/21 02:34 PM

We put out fertilizer with ATV spreader, come right back and spread seed with same spreader and then drag, and the leave field. No reason you can't spread all with same spreader, just don't mix seed and fertilizer together, spread separate. Been doing this ten years on 22 green fields and no problem. We use triple 13 mixed with slow release nitrogen. Fertilizer comes mixed that way. Only use high end seed, contains rape, clover, radish and other small seed.
Posted By: Huntnwork

Re: Spreader - 08/23/21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stoney
We put out fertilizer with ATV spreader, come right back and spread seed with same spreader and then drag, and the leave field. No reason you can't spread all with same spreader, just don't mix seed and fertilizer together, spread separate. Been doing this ten years on 22 green fields and no problem. We use triple 13 mixed with slow release nitrogen. Fertilizer comes mixed that way. Only use high end seed, contains rape, clover, radish and other small seed.

I do put out fertilizer, usually triple 13 at the same time as I spread seed also but what I was saying is about the 33-0-0 that I add about 100 lbs per acre later on after planting. I have never seen slow release mixed but I will look into that at my farm supply. Also if I add couple pounds of clover or rape to the field then my spreader doesn’t do like I want it to so I hand seed that. Was thinking about a walk behind with rubber wheels spreader. Thanks for your input Stoney.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Spreader - 08/23/21 05:05 PM

The fertilizer I buy is made by a company called Plot Strong. I buy in from a local farm store. It has both fast and slow release nitrogen. That gives you early help and help a few weeks later. I don't like riding over fields after they come up unless I have to or have a problem.
Posted By: chillinhunt

Re: Spreader - 08/23/21 05:27 PM

Before seeding I apply the fertilizer with a 3 point hitch broadcast spreader and work the soil to a powder with a disc and drag. I use a hand/bag spreader at half the seed rate walking end to end and then side to side to increase the odds of getting even coverage. I cover it with a home made cultipacker. That's one reason I don't use seed mixes. You either don't cover the grain seed deep enough or you cover the fine seed so deep it doesn't emerge.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Spreader - 08/24/21 02:22 AM

I’ll seed and put the fertilizer out then cover the seed up. I’m not gonna ride through my patches after they come up and kill what’s standing to put fertilizer on it a few weeks later. I want the fertilizer in the ground with the seed so it will get it up and growing good before the deer start hammering it. About mid December I’ll hit with 33-0-0 to carry them the rest of the season
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Spreader - 08/24/21 06:58 PM

I am using a 3 pt spreader this year for fertilizer and cereal grains. For the brassica and clover blends, I use a small hand held one. I woulnd't be afraid to run back over a field later with my 1026R tractor and the 3 pt spreader.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM